The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

if you do bring a tv, you can get away without a license so long as you dont let the tv licensing people into your block/room, they have no power to enter and search so you can just turn them away :P
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 841
Could we get a license for sky tv?
you have to buy a tv license, then buy whatever package from sky iirc. not sure you can in halls though, you cant exactly hang a satellite dish out of your window
Reply 843
Original post by Lelkins2010
Wedderburn Hall
Block D
Level 1
Flat C
Room 4

Was my second choice, but am still really happy with this :biggrin:
Anybody else in this block/flat?

It was my second choice too but I'm happy about it still :smile: im in block D level 2 :smile:
Reply 844
Original post by gm15
They are literally identical!! The flats are the same design they just changed the shape of the buildings (W+G a bit curved WTB straight). There might be the odd fitting that's different but that's it.

And Gowar isn't 100% post-grad. Obviously...because you are in it. I doubt they'd put a lone 1st year in a flat filled with PHD students.
And distance: unless you are a really slow walker WG only adds a minute to your walk compared to the end of WTB nearest the academic area.

A neg for a post that the guy I was talking to thanked me for?!
Reply 845
Please can anyone tell me the layout of Reid Block A, I will be on level 2 room 8, just wondering what the position of the room is, etc?
Reply 846
Ive been allocated Reid Hall, Block J, Level 1 :smile: Is there two levels or is level 1 the top floor?
This was my second choice so hoping I like it, anymore feedback on Reid and what its like please?
Reply 847
Original post by lkjacobs
Ive been allocated Reid Hall, Block J, Level 1 :smile: Is there two levels or is level 1 the top floor?
This was my second choice so hoping I like it, anymore feedback on Reid and what its like please?

Are there 2 floors or is level 1 the top? Err those mean the same thing as level 1 is the 1st floor not ground floor.

There are 3 floors so level one is the middle (unless reid is labeled different to all the other halls).
uploadfromtaptalk1341432365268.jpg

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Soule
Please can anyone tell me the layout of Reid Block A, I will be on level 2 room 8, just wondering what the position of the room is, etc?

My friend was in Reid and as soon as you open the bedroom door, you have another door for your shower/toilet, right in front of you. Then to your left is your room; he bed was against the side of the wall (the bathroom wall) and the desk was overlooking the front which was a small green field. On the LHS from the front door was loads of shelves and storage space, this was also surrounding the desk. It's surprisingly spacious. And when we entered the complex, there was a corridor, passing by a seating area, and stairs at the end of the corridor leading up to the rooms. Also, I don't think that that are very sound proof, I could hear her neighbour's conversation whilst I was in the hallway. Location-wise it's on the complete opposite end of campus compared to Founders, but it's not the furthest away. What are you studying anyway? It's close to the Earth sciences building, Biosciences and Psychology.
Reply 849
I Noticed that by Now all the other universities have their Facebook page & Group Up and Running ! tat way it makes it much easier for u to make friends
find your fellow course mates !

Well here' s the one for royal holloway, university of london for the year 2012 !

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalHollowayFreshers2012

Good luck !
make the most outta it !!!
Original post by a fine line
Does anyone anywhere have any pictures of Penrose Court accommodation? I've just been offered a room in a flat - flat 17 - and was wondering what it would be like / if anyone is in that flat as well?

If so, HI

Hi there, I have also been offered Penrose and still not sure if I should accept. Do you think its price is OK for Egham?
Original post by amlecciones
No pictures for Penrose or Victorian Houses? Also Penrose is 50 week let (annual) not 38-week, if the RH website is to be believed. Thanks!

It says 38-week let. Are you a post grad? I have been offered Penrose and thinking whether I should accept, the price seems quite high...
Original post by JPeche
I wanted to know if, in Penrose Court (common kitchen and bath), you've got to clean the common areas, buy soap, toilet paper and all that stuff.

What house in Penrose are you? we may be neighbors :-)
Original post by samanthachan03
I think it must be just for postgraduates! x x

Samantha, you seem to be so knowledgeable about RHUL life. Can you please give me your opinion whether 115GBP rent/week isn't too much for Egham area? I have offered Penrose and am not sure whether to accept it. Many thanks for advice!
Reply 854
Original post by ms.independent
Samantha, you seem to be so knowledgeable about RHUL life. Can you please give me your opinion whether 115GBP rent/week isn't too much for Egham area? I have offered Penrose and am not sure whether to accept it. Many thanks for advice!

Err for englefield green it might be a tad pricey but in Egham most rents are over 400 a month I think. Also you have to factor in that in halls you don't have to pay bills like electricity, gass, internet etc (well i'm sure they must of added a bit to the rent to cover it)

Original post by gm15
Err for englefield green it might be a tad pricey but in Egham most rents are over 400 a month I think. Also you have to factor in that in halls you don't have to pay bills like electricity, gass, internet etc (well i'm sure they must of added a bit to the rent to cover it)

Thanks, Samantha! Have you studied post grad. at RHUL? Do you know when the last classes are? Penrose is till mid June only and I was wondering if we need to attend the campus after June.
Reply 856
Thanks, Samantha! Have you studied post grad. at RHUL? Do you know when the last classes are? Penrose is till mid June only and I was wondering if we need to attend the campus after June.

Does your contract say sessional or annual? I found this in penrose's domestic info
Letting period

The residents of Penrose Court have either a sessional or an annual contract.* Students with sessional contracts may vacate their room at the end of Term 3 or sign an extension for the fourth term. Students with an annual contract are liable for residence hall fees for the full 50 weeks of the contract.
Original post by gm15
Does your contract say sessional or annual? I found this in penrose's domestic info

Hi Samantha,

my offers says 38 weeks only, hope they could extend in June if needed. Thanks a lot for help!
Reply 858
Hi Samantha,

my offers says 38 weeks only, hope they could extend in June if needed. Thanks a lot for help!

no problem
ps errr my name isn't samantha...its greg....i'm a guy
Hi

I applied for accommodation on the 19th of July. I still haven't been allocated a room. :frown: Could anyone give me an insight on why this is? Is it because they're waiting for results day so they're more likely to be able to offer me my first choice (RHUL is my unconditional firm)? Perhaps I'll start hearing something when the Scottish results come out?

Maybe I'm just being impatient.

Latest

Trending

Trending