The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gm15
And like I told him: gowar clearly isn't all PG and wedderburn is only metres away.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i

Yeah.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
RH was my firm, missed out on the grade needed by 3 UMS marks... However just got a phone call saying I can be excepted through clearing if I still wanted to go, which I do!! But I was wondering, do you think I will still have my original accommodation place as it still says it's 'allocated' on RH's online checker thingy? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks :3
I'm going to be studying Media Arts at Holloway come September, and am in a mad rush to apply for accommodation.

I've heard Founders is undergoing some refurbishment, but when I went round I noticed the shared bathrooms weren't in the best state and I've Founders can be noisy.

Also because my course is pretty intensive, would catered accommodation be a better idea? I do prefer the newer halls like Williamson Tuke & Butler and Reid, I've ruled out Wedderburn as its more expensive.

Can anyone give me some guidance as I want to get my application in asap. Thank you!
Reply 883
Original post by NeonIndian
I'm going to be studying Media Arts at Holloway come September, and am in a mad rush to apply for accommodation.

I've heard Founders is undergoing some refurbishment, but when I went round I noticed the shared bathrooms weren't in the best state and I've Founders can be noisy.

Also because my course is pretty intensive, would catered accommodation be a better idea? I do prefer the newer halls like Williamson Tuke & Butler and Reid, I've ruled out Wedderburn as its more expensive.

Can anyone give me some guidance as I want to get my application in asap. Thank you!

As far as I know, the bathrooms and hallways in Founder's will be refurbished as part of the next 'stage' of redevelopment, though I'm not entirely sure when that will be. I would predict sometime next year.

Williamson, Tuke, and Butler are the same price as Gowar and Wedderburn (unless you go for Tuke's 30 week let). At least, that's what they used to be, haha, so if course if you want to double check feel free, but as far as I know that's the case.

If you want catered but reasonably modern, Reid is probably your best bet as it's a nice balance, but bear in mind that being catered means inflexible meal times, and even with an intensive course, cooking yourself simple meals shouldn't take too much time. But if you're someone like myself who is just a bit rubbish at cooking and inevitably does take a lot of time cooking (or burning things...Generally failing at life) then catered might be a good idea. I lived in Tuke in first year and loved it, but found cooking for myself a bit of a faff the last two years, so I'm moving into Reid for September.

Also, do bear in mind whether you want a 30 or 38 week let- Reid is 30 week let only, so if you live far away, it's going to be a pain to move everything out at Christmas and Easter (there are storage options, however.)

Hope that helps a bit!
Original post by llacerta
As far as I know, the bathrooms and hallways in Founder's will be refurbished as part of the next 'stage' of redevelopment, though I'm not entirely sure when that will be. I would predict sometime next year.

Williamson, Tuke, and Butler are the same price as Gowar and Wedderburn (unless you go for Tuke's 30 week let). At least, that's what they used to be, haha, so if course if you want to double check feel free, but as far as I know that's the case.

If you want catered but reasonably modern, Reid is probably your best bet as it's a nice balance, but bear in mind that being catered means inflexible meal times, and even with an intensive course, cooking yourself simple meals shouldn't take too much time. But if you're someone like myself who is just a bit rubbish at cooking and inevitably does take a lot of time cooking (or burning things...Generally failing at life) then catered might be a good idea. I lived in Tuke in first year and loved it, but found cooking for myself a bit of a faff the last two years, so I'm moving into Reid for September.

Also, do bear in mind whether you want a 30 or 38 week let- Reid is 30 week let only, so if you live far away, it's going to be a pain to move everything out at Christmas and Easter (there are storage options, however.)

Hope that helps a bit!

I rang up the accommodation people and they said the bathrooms are being refurbed over the Christmas break, though they're not 100% certain.

Sorry you're right, I was looking at the 38 week let rather that Tuke's 30 week. I live in the East Midlands so I guess its a bit of a trip, though I wouldn't mind it much tbh. I thought of Reid but being based there and having to go to Founders for meals seems a bit illogical, I could cook a quick meal in the same time! You make a good point about inflexible meal times too. I'm not a terrible cook but I don't exactly have a huge repertoire, I'm sure I'll learn though.

Well so far Tuke sounds the most appealing to me. Founders is an amazing building but as I said the bathrooms were in a poor state when I went and seeing as they're being refurbed over Christmas then there'd only be a nice new bathroom for half the year. I may put it as second preference...
Reply 885
I rang up the accommodation people and they said the bathrooms are being refurbed over the Christmas break, though they're not 100% certain.

Sorry you're right, I was looking at the 38 week let rather that Tuke's 30 week. I live in the East Midlands so I guess its a bit of a trip, though I wouldn't mind it much tbh. I thought of Reid but being based there and having to go to Founders for meals seems a bit illogical, I could cook a quick meal in the same time! You make a good point about inflexible meal times too. I'm not a terrible cook but I don't exactly have a huge repertoire, I'm sure I'll learn though.

Well so far Tuke sounds the most appealing to me. Founders is an amazing building but as I said the bathrooms were in a poor state when I went and seeing as they're being refurbed over Christmas then there'd only be a nice new bathroom for half the year. I may put it as second preference...

Yeah, you're right about walking to Founder's when living in Reid taking time, and with practice I'm sure your cooking will improve and you'll learn how to make new things.

It sounds like Tuke's 30 week let would suit you, though I would keep in mind the fact that it does tend to be very popular- when I lived there, it was full of students like myself who had taken gap years and hence had unconditional offers, so we were prioritised over everyone else (aside from disabled students), so it might already be full. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, and there are always people who for whatever reason give up their room or decide to go elsewhere, etc., but just so you aren't too disappointed in the event of you not getting your first choice.

As for the Founder's bathrooms as they are now, I've heard that the bathrooms on higher floors tend to be nicer, so if you don't mind going up a flight of stairs or two it might make all the difference. I understand your concerns about having a nice bathroom, though funnily enough after living in Tuke for first year, my top choice for third year was Founder's, as I'd realised that I didn't mind the idea of sharing bathrooms as much as I thought I did! And they are cleaned daily so if you get in first thing they should be fine.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on now- good luck with your accommodation application, and I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Yeah, you're right about walking to Founder's when living in Reid taking time, and with practice I'm sure your cooking will improve and you'll learn how to make new things.

It sounds like Tuke's 30 week let would suit you, though I would keep in mind the fact that it does tend to be very popular- when I lived there, it was full of students like myself who had taken gap years and hence had unconditional offers, so we were prioritised over everyone else (aside from disabled students), so it might already be full. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, and there are always people who for whatever reason give up their room or decide to go elsewhere, etc., but just so you aren't too disappointed in the event of you not getting your first choice.

As for the Founder's bathrooms as they are now, I've heard that the bathrooms on higher floors tend to be nicer, so if you don't mind going up a flight of stairs or two it might make all the difference. I understand your concerns about having a nice bathroom, though funnily enough after living in Tuke for first year, my top choice for third year was Founder's, as I'd realised that I didn't mind the idea of sharing bathrooms as much as I thought I did! And they are cleaned daily so if you get in first thing they should be fine.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling on now- good luck with your accommodation application, and I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for all your advice and responding so quickly, its been really helpful. It is probably unlikely I'll get into Tuke then, RH was my insurance you see. Oh well, I'm sure there are pros and cons to everywhere. It would be awesome being higher up, I've heard the turret rooms in Founders are amazing!

So were there very few students who'd come straight from school in Tuke? Only reason I ask is that I'd quite like to be in the same boat with people fresh from school, just because it'll be easier to settle in I'd imagine. Again, thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 887
Thanks for all your advice and responding so quickly, its been really helpful. It is probably unlikely I'll get into Tuke then, RH was my insurance you see. Oh well, I'm sure there are pros and cons to everywhere. It would be awesome being higher up, I've heard the turret rooms in Founders are amazing!

So were there very few students who'd come straight from school in Tuke? Only reason I ask is that I'd quite like to be in the same boat with people fresh from school, just because it'll be easier to settle in I'd imagine. Again, thanks for all your help :smile:

No worries, and you're welcome!

When I lived in Tuke F, pretty much everyone I knew had had a gap year. I know for certain that every single person on my floor (so 24 of us) had done so, and the majority of the ground floor had. I didn't know many people on the 2nd or 4th floors but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd been in the same position. It was very much the 'gap year' block, which suited us well for the same reasons that you want to be with school-leavers- it meant we all had something in common.

However, I'm not sure if it's like that every year. I guess it depends on how many people firm Royal Holloway with an unconditional, and I'm sure that varies every year, so it's difficult to say what the proportion of gap yearers versus school leavers in Tuke F will be like this September. And anyway, it might be the case that the gap yearers this time round predominantly chose to live somewhere else, so it's really difficult to predict- it might be the case that none of them have gone for a 30 week let in Tuke! So I wouldn't let that sway your decision too much.
Reply 888
Even if they don't touch founders bathrooms i've used worse for most of the length of a term (6 weeks) and not cared...ok this was africa but if its possible to use uber basic bathrooms just the same as my one back home without a second thought I think people can survive founders.

Reply 889
I may be wrong but from what I just read only the refurb of the bedrooms and some stuff on the room are being done in the summer. The other phases are date to be confirmed/when the money appears.

Didn't like the mock up in the orbital either.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 890
Original post by RoseHallow202
RH was my firm, missed out on the grade needed by 3 UMS marks... However just got a phone call saying I can be excepted through clearing if I still wanted to go, which I do!! But I was wondering, do you think I will still have my original accommodation place as it still says it's 'allocated' on RH's online checker thingy? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks :3

I'm in exactly the same position and it's good to see I'm not the only one! Have you found anything out? I've been told that we get taken off our original application and then put onto a waiting list and the accomdation is then just random. So worried, any clarification on this would be much appreciated.
Original post by Litotes26
I'm in exactly the same position and it's good to see I'm not the only one! Have you found anything out? I've been told that we get taken off our original application and then put onto a waiting list and the accomdation is then just random. So worried, any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

Hi :3 I emailed the accommodation office ([email protected]) and they confirmed that I was still in the same room as I had before. They were really quick to reply, but in the meantime check your online checker too to see if it still says "allocated". I was a little concerned too, didn't want to loose my original room :frown: It should be the same as before though - hope this helps :smile:
Reply 892
since Royal Holloway was my insurance, I did not think of applying for accommodation-- i was very unsure about whether or not i wanted to go uni at all.

I applied for accommodation a day after results day, therefore I'm wondering about the chances of me getting a place. also, does the distance of your home and uni play a major part in receiving accommodation?
Reply 893
Original post by kjk9
since Royal Holloway was my insurance, I did not think of applying for accommodation-- i was very unsure about whether or not i wanted to go uni at all.

I applied for accommodation a day after results day, therefore I'm wondering about the chances of me getting a place. also, does the distance of your home and uni play a major part in receiving accommodation?

They only look at nationality not if you live in london, bath or aberdeen. Home/eu is first come first serve. International get special treatment.

Reply 894
Original post by RoseHallow202
Hi :3 I emailed the accommodation office ([email protected]) and they confirmed that I was still in the same room as I had before. They were really quick to reply, but in the meantime check your online checker too to see if it still says "allocated". I was a little concerned too, didn't want to loose my original room :frown: It should be the same as before though - hope this helps :smile:

Thankyou I just rang them and I'm in the same room, thanks very much for your help :smile: where will you be staying and what're you studying at Royal Holloway?
Reply 895
For those of you interested in what will happen to the pantries and bathrooms in Founders', an image has been recently released showcasing some of the potential designs and what it will probably look like. No word on exactly when this will happen, though.

419923_10151180300756145_1923706340_n.jpg
Original post by Litotes26
Thankyou I just rang them and I'm in the same room, thanks very much for your help :smile: where will you be staying and what're you studying at Royal Holloway?

No worries, glad I could help :biggrin: I'm staying in Butler Hall Block C and Studying BA Geography, you? Literally cannot wait for september!!
Reply 897

I know a lot about this! The refurbishment project is split into three stages:

1: Student bedrooms
2: Bathrooms and pantries
3: Hallways and stairwells

Stage 1 is currently being done and is coming in on schedule. Stage 2 has no solid date, but the last contact I spoke to in the College was one of the senior executives, and I was told that they were hoping for the Easter for now (but I suppose Christmas is still feasible). Stage 3 probably won't happen until at least next summer, but is obviously the lowest priority.
Reply 898
Helloo,
As far as moving in goes, I've had no info from the uni yet - can we move in on Saturday 22nd or Sunday 23rd by our own choice or is there some kind of system?
Will we get an email about it or something?
Reply 899
Original post by olivia_28
Helloo,
As far as moving in goes, I've had no info from the uni yet - can we move in on Saturday 22nd or Sunday 23rd by our own choice or is there some kind of system?
Will we get an email about it or something?

You had no info from the uni...yet (best part of a month to go). Also it is on the website.
Yes you can turn up on the 23rd...they just keep your key in the box. Not sure when you have to be there by.

Latest

Trending

Trending