The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Adarah
really not scary at all! I didn't use them for ages because my mum's a bit stupid with these things. When I first got my period she bought me panty liners so I had a lot of bloody knickers of course :mad: . She also told me you can only use tampons when you're not a virgin anymore and loads of that kind of crap. :rolleyes: Then she bought me tampons - with stupid paper applicators - not a good thing if you're using a tampon for the first time. OBs are so much easier, you can't do anything wrong with them, much better.

:ditto: my mum is like this too, but still doesnt buy me any tampons. And i probaly wouldnt either because i dont really like the idea of it. But still considering :p: does it work for heavy periods?
Reply 41
it just ate my huge reply..grrr. anyway, to get to the point -

sophieliz
There is evidence that if you take the pill for long amounts of time then later in life if you plan to have children you might be less fertile. Not a great thing. I assume your doctor told you this originally, but if he didn't he should have done.

where/what evidence? :smile: anything i've seen disputes that, or pleads 'not proven' on the grounds of insufficient data/length of time.
unless you mean via indirect effects such as libido suppression or transient delay in returning to normal menstruation?

AFAIK it's the cardiovascular problems that can arise with pill usage Drs really should be make sure people are aware of, especially if they smoke.

& there IS plenty of evidence of a protective effect of the pill in terms of ovarian cancer & other benign womb conditions such as fibroids - which are certainly very positive in terms of reproductive function.. :p: (i had found out the relevant reviews, if you want me to re post links i can do! )
i really do plan to try the mooncup thing. i use tampons and a towel as well, in case of leaks, but mine are always really heavy, so i use a super tampon every 3 to 4 hours. i like the idea of catching it and pouring it away, but I don't get why they're so expensive!
Reply 43
Elles

& there IS plenty of evidence of a protective effect of the pill in terms of ovarian cancer & other benign womb conditions such as fibroids - which are certainly very positive in terms of reproductive function.. :p: (i had found out the relevant reviews, if you want me to re post links i can do! )

But increased incidence of breast cancer :p:

And possible increase in cervical cancer though that might be incidental due to less condoms --> more HPV infection
Reply 44
I use applicator tampons (as remeber there are different types!) but I normally still use a small pad otherwise I get really really parinoid!
Reply 45
Helenia
But increased incidence of breast cancer :p:

hmm - optional extras in 'reproductive function' & fertility though ? :rolleyes: :wink:
Reply 46
i think the evidence stems from users who regularly run several packs together- supressing ovulation for long periods of time can't be a good thing on the whole. also maybe because the thickness of endometrium is reduced? (biologist step in and explain here please)

i'm a regular multiple-pack runner as well though, ah well.
Reply 47
suppressing ovulation is a good thing in terms of making ovarian cancer, 'the silent killer', less likely!

& i'd imagine the endometrium changes are only transient/temporary, given they're under hormonal control & that's what you've altered..? given every month it's normally shed, i can't see how not building up for a few years would permanent impair the ability to do so once the hormonal control was lifted - unless there's some kind of pathological change under it.. & this is what i haven't seen papers on as of yet.. :smile:

as i said, i know they say you should wait a while after coming off before you try & get pregnant.. but again, i thought that was just transient.
Reply 48
priya
i think the evidence stems from users who regularly run several packs together- supressing ovulation for long periods of time can't be a good thing on the whole. also maybe because the thickness of endometrium is reduced? (biologist step in and explain here please)

i'm a regular multiple-pack runner as well though, ah well.

But the contraceptive pill supresses ovulation whether you run or or not doesn't it? I mean, that's how it's supposed to work. *sibble* Running on just means your stored up blood can't escape, I think.
Reply 49
Elles
hmm - optional extras in 'reproductive function' & fertility though ? :rolleyes: :wink:

Fair enough, if that was your point. :wink: In terms of cancers though - there's a balance.

Yes blissy - it suppresses ovulation always.
Reply 50
Helenia

Yes blissy - it suppresses ovulation always.

Does this mean I'm going to have periods till I'm 80?
Reply 51
lol no, other hormones will step in to set off menopausal symptoms. AFAIK the pill has little effect on the way this comes about?
Reply 52
priya
is your family particularly religious?

my mum was never allowed to wear tampons until after she was married, whereas i started using them pretty much from day 1 :rolleyes: ah well, highly unlikely that my future in-laws will request that my wedding sheets be checked...

I have solved this problem by going out with a nice white man. However, my aunts keep telling me he will not be my true love and I am like, er, is that going to stop me? Then they ask me if we've had sex!

About tampons :p: My mum gave me pads to start with and after a year or so I asked my mum for tampons and she was like 'oh crap! I should have offered them... am I a bad mother?'. That was a funny conversation I will always remember!
Reply 53
Kavanne

About tampons :p: My mum gave me pads to start with and after a year or so I asked my mum for tampons and she was like 'oh crap! I should have offered them... am I a bad mother?'. That was a funny conversation I will always remember!

My mum was awful, she offered me normal towels, nothing else, and it took me about a year of awkward sleeping to realise you could buy night ones. :rolleyes:

I use tampons now though, much cleaner and muh easier.
Reply 54
Usually pads but tampons for swimming/tight clothes. Now I have such pathetically tiny periods (due to change in pill) a panty liner is sufficient.
Reply 55
blissy
Does this mean I'm going to have periods till I'm 80?

Nope, your eggies will just die rather than being released.
I've always used pads. I asked my mum for tampons once and she said no like they were dirty or something. Tried a couple of years later (was going on a beach holiday!) and she finally got me some. I've only really used tampons once or twice though, I just can't get the hang of them and I swear the bleached string makes me itchy!!

I will definately try a mooncup though, as soon as I sort out my debit card...
Reply 57
i use tampons now, sometimes at night , usually only first night, i will use pad, when i first started my periods i was 11 and my mum allways bought me pads, and i hated them so much, felt like a nappy and for the entire week i could constantly feel it sitting there, it used to drive me crazy, they are really bulky and yeah i did find sitting on a pad full of your own blood totally gross. i always felt dirty and unhygenienic with them. i fpund them so uncomfortable, and just wearing them made me cranky !!

after a 'talk ' we had in school we were given samples of pads and tampons. it was this sample tampon that got me started on tampons, even though it was yeear or so til i tried the sampe . after i first tried it i have never looked back, i feel so much more comfortale now, and actually feel clean and hygenic, (with pads i always felt dirty and messy down there lol). i couldnt imagine going back to pads again now.

and to those who feeel tampons are too tricky or complicated to use, give it a few tries, cos u get use to putting them in pretty quick, its like everything it takes a little getting use to , i had to give it a few attempts til i got use to it fully, but it doesnt take long.

and i know there is some health risks with TSS but i think its ok if u change it regularly , i change it every 3 - 4 hrs, and i never forget about them being there
Reply 58
Helenia
Nope, your eggies will just die rather than being released.

So by the taking the pill I'm killing eggies and spermies (with flagellum - my new favourite word)?

That's sad :frown:
sash37uk
i chose pads. Ive worn them since i started when i was 14 and i find them more comfortable. Tried a tampon once, but it really hurt so I took it out (which was also painful) and vowed never to wear one again. Might go on the injection so that they dont bother me ever again!

ive always used pads since i was 14 too, i tried a tampon once and hurt like hell (dont think i put it in far enough? lol >.<) so i took it out and hurt alot too. hmmm...just need practise i suppose lol

Latest