The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chinese hamsters are not dwarfs that is where the mix up comes form, as dwarfs can usually be housed together, however Chinese hamsters much like Syrian are solitary animals and must not be housed together as they will fight and potentially kill one another.
Hope this helped 😄
Original post by a human person
Chinese hamsters are not dwarfs that is where the mix up comes form, as dwarfs can usually be housed together, however Chinese hamsters much like Syrian are solitary animals and must not be housed together as they will fight and potentially kill one another.
Hope this helped 😄

I have done lots of research into this and i agree, i have told work how i feel about this, i often deny sales of more than one Chinese hamster, its really only roborovskis that can be housed together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by at18
I bought fish from pets at home (I'm allergic to everything else unfortunately) and all of them died in very quick succession. I know it sounds pretty sad but I was thoroughly depressed.
RIP Tiger, Remy, Will, Sebastian and Max.

I'm sorry :'(
Regarding your allergies, have you thought about getting a tortoise? They're very hardy, usually allergy safe and they have a super long life expectancy. Plus, they're only awake for half the year. They make really awesome pets. Consider it.
Original post by effyeffyeffy
Have you ever had any bad experiences? Like buying sick/dying pets, or pregnant/missexed pets? If so, did you get any help/refund from Pets at Home?

I'm getting my hamsters very soon, and I want to get them from Blackheath Pets at Home, but I just want to know what it's like :smile:

When I was about 7 (about 9 years ago), we got a rabbit from Pets at Home which was too young to eat solid food, so it died. My dad took it to the shop we bought it at in a box and got a refund.

In 2014, we purchased a hamster from another branch of the shop. She was very healthy. They had good documentation on their hamster (their computer files said that 'Russian dwarf hamsters' were Winter whites).

In October, I got a corn snake from there too. He's also healthy, but his tub wasn't cleaned properly when he was in the shop.
Reply 224
I've just lost my dear little hamster she was only 6 months old was told she was a boy but found she was infact a little girl, I am so cut up by her loss she ment the world to me she had wet tail as I had to take her to vets due to eye infection found out she lost her top teeth due to bar chomping she had her lower teeth cut down , it was after that within that week she died I tried everything to bring her back like cuddling her up to my skin for hrs stroking her body but nothing I took her to vets next day they confirmed she had passed away of wet tail, so I gave her a realy lovely funeral in my garden , but still feel heart broken she was only a baby but the sweetest little girl who gave me so much love ,she had plenty of woody chews but preferred the bars to chomp on ,so I got her out every night for a cuddle and a run about which she loved she had a close relationship with my female cat bonnie who let her run about through her fur she just sit and watch her and when little sammy was in her cage bonnie would lay on her side watch sammy sometimes meet nose to nose through the bar like kiss kiss bonnie is missing sammy keeps looking for her just so sad
(edited 8 years ago)
Yep... Got two 'female' hamsters, although I'm pretty sure they weren't female, since a few months later we had five hamsters instead of two.
Also, I had two guinea pigs that were brothers but they fought and one almost blinded the other. To be fair, they lived a Fairly long time, I still have one now. He's five :smile:
Could i bring my gerbles back to pets at home
I got two Russia dwarf hamsters, they are both dead and they were brothers. One killed the other ripping his stomach open. The other died last year. He died of old age.
Reply 228
We brought 2 9 week old rats front pet smart before it was pets at home and 2 weeks later they both had 10 babies each.
Bought two guinea pigs from there. They lived fairly long.
Original post by Tina j
We brought 2 9 week old rats front pet smart before it was pets at home and 2 weeks later they both had 10 babies each.

Bargain!
i bought my 10yr old daughter a hamster on Staurday and tonight she found it lying dead in its cage so we less than 3 days

i will be contacting the store tomorrow we checked o it at 7pm and it seemed ok ..checked at 9pm and found it had passed away and she is devestated

i have previously owned hamsters although many years ago and they lasted nearly 2 to 3 years
I got two gerbils from there both pairs lasted for 5 years and were brilliant pets however if you want a snake or tarantula can I recommend a specalist exotic shop ask on RFUK they should be Abel to give you more info.
My dwarf hamsters are still alive I got them a couple of days ago we love them I have held one that isn't that fast it just sits there
Reply 234
I would never buy an animal from pets at home as all I have had is trouble and nearly 1000 of vets bills..also a friend of mine has had the same trouble. Mine happen to be Guinea pigs..suppose to of been vet check...yeah right..I was in and out of the vets and spent so much money. One Guinea pig had to be put down after a couple of months and the other passed away. Was a terrible experience and heart breaking. Pets at home weren't nice at all and very aggressive when confronted. This was at Belfast Boucher road..do avoid getting any animals from here. I went to alittle pet store and got 3 baby pigs...5years later they are doing amazing :smile: thanks for reading :smile:
Reply 235
Original post by heatherks
i bought my 10yr old daughter a hamster on Staurday and tonight she found it lying dead in its cage so we less than 3 days

i will be contacting the store tomorrow we checked o it at 7pm and it seemed ok ..checked at 9pm and found it had passed away and she is devestated

i have previously owned hamsters although many years ago and they lasted nearly 2 to 3 years

Oh wow thats terrible, I'm so sorry to hear that :/ its not a nice thing to have to go through, you cant put a price on getting attached and then the heart break..even if you hadnt had it for long. Yeah i also had hamster when i was younger and they lasted up 3half years. Let us know how you get on at pets at home.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hardy_4_paws
We got to guinea pigs and one was perfectly normal and the vet said the other was psychotic but they both lived a long time and we loved him even with his.... issues.....

psychotic guinea pig :')
Re: title of the thread. It'd be a bit odd to buy dead pets wouldn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi . I have just had two hamster from pets at home now . 1st one got wet tail and passed away . And my 2 nd one has just passed away after spending a huge amount at the vets for both of them . And all the strees and upset of nursing them . I'm either very unlucky. Or I've done something wrong . Vet has said I have nt done anything wrong after I told her how I care for them . And asking her loads of questions about there medicine making sure I do it right .. I'm so gutted thinking I now should perhaps not have any more hamsters
i got a rabbit from pets at home for my birthday, her name was twix, i adopted her after she had been ill and she had just been put back out to be re-homed. after 3 weeks of having her she began to run around her huch and jump into the walls at full speed, i began to get worried so i went back to the store to ask about the health and they said all the records had been deleted/destroyed, once the pet is given a new home they get rid of the health details, they didn't do a health check while i was there either like they are supposed to do when someone would like a new pet, anyway so i got really worried about twix, she began to get worse, i looked up on google what she was doing and there came a video up with a rabbit having a seizure, that video looked exactly like what my rabbit was doing every 10-15 minutes. i tried to change where she lived in case she had a reaction to dust, no change, she lived outside for a week to see if that would help, no change, i changed her bedding, her food and again no change. i bought a indoor cage so that i could have her in my bedroom to watch her, one night she kept having these seizures, i went to tell my mum and dad and i went back into my bedroom, she died. i had twix for 3 months. i am 15 and i have had over 50 rabbits, but i have never seen anything like what happened with twix.

i now have a rabbit named shai, i also got her from pets at home but i never adopted her, now whenever shai collapses or jumps around i paick because of what happened with twix.

(before i got any of the rabbits) i also got two syrian hamsters from pets at home, toothless and marble (they dont live together and i bought them 4 weeks apart from eachother) toothless is a black tuxedo hamster, i bought him after marble and after a day of having him i noticed that there was blood in his cage, i took him to the vets and they said he could either be stressed because of the move or he could have a kidney infection, they told us to go to pets at home and ask, when we did they couldnt tell us anything, but now toothless is fine and i have had him and marble for 2 years and 11 months, longer than any other hamsters i have had.

im going to give advice here, if you get any pet from pets at home, please get them to check its health and if it had any medical needs or any ill health while it was in their care, i would have still gotten twix and still would have had her if they told me what was wrong with her.

Latest