University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1
Bump
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Oxford doesn't offer a one year M.Sc in Economics although they do offer a two-year M.Phil. All Cambridge masters of that ilk are called M.Phil but are typically only one year. One of the reasons the Oxford course exists in its two-year form is because Oxford doesn't offer a straight economics degree- and indeed their two year degree is supposedly better at linking into the American system. I don't know where you found an Oxford or Cambridge M.Sc in Economics, unless it's new for this year, in which case I don't know about it. So either you've very heavily researched this or haven't done very much work.

If you're still in your teens and still over two years away from graduation, then I wouldn't worry yet. The most important thing is to have a good degree score and be toward the best in your class. Without that, work experience and ECs are entirely irrelevant. Assuming you want to have a shot at ESRC funding, then if you graduate in 2012 you'll need to have an application in by January 2012. That's a fair while away. A couple of internships if you can get them, some contacts with academics who will be well placed to know you and your work in order to write a stellar reference, and most importantly, some impressive exam results, are what you need to worry about in the next eighteen months. Until then, you're getting ahead of yourself.
Reply 3
0404343m
Oxford doesn't offer a one year M.Sc in Economics although they do offer a two-year M.Phil. All Cambridge masters of that ilk are called M.Phil but are typically only one year. One of the reasons the Oxford course exists in its two-year form is because Oxford doesn't offer a straight economics degree- and indeed their two year degree is supposedly better at linking into the American system. I don't know where you found an Oxford or Cambridge M.Sc in Economics, unless it's new for this year, in which case I don't know about it. So either you've very heavily researched this or haven't done very much work.

If you're still in your teens and still over two years away from graduation, then I wouldn't worry yet. The most important thing is to have a good degree score and be toward the best in your class. Without that, work experience and ECs are entirely irrelevant. Assuming you want to have a shot at ESRC funding, then if you graduate in 2012 you'll need to have an application in by January 2012. That's a fair while away. A couple of internships if you can get them, some contacts with academics who will be well placed to know you and your work in order to write a stellar reference, and most importantly, some impressive exam results, are what you need to worry about in the next eighteen months. Until then, you're getting ahead of yourself.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I have already won a scholarship and an prize for exam results in my first year, with the hope to winning more.

I just wanted to ask you how you found it possible to connect with an academic member of staff long enough for them to be able to give you a good/great reference. As at my university, the staff that you come into contact with is a very transitory thing.

Thanks again. :smile:
Reply 4
Well, for Oxford you'll need three very strong references, and for Cambridge you'll need two. There really is no hard and fast answer of how to get one though- I was lucky in that I had someone that taught me for three consecutive years on something completely different to what I wanted to research, as well as having two people who both taught me for one year and then co-supervised a dissertation the following. I also had a 'special subject' which is an intensive final-year course (courses are four years in Scotland, so we have an extra year to get access to staff) which met for four-hours a week in a class of eight for 24 weeks, so my tutor in that knew me pretty well. I also had As under all of my referees, so I actually had four willing undergraduate referees who knew me well enough, which was saying something in a department of 50 staff and 800 students. That said, I also got involved in the running of the department and through the staff-student committee, as well as running tutoring for failing first years, so I got my name out there, and getting a first as well as the departmental prize helped get me the scholarship at Balliol, ultimately.

You'll get much more exposure to staff for a longer period of time in final year- in the first two we would often go through six lecturers in a 12 week term, and met for tutorials once every two weeks (so 12 times a year), and typically half of those were junior staff or PhD students- who could often be excellent teachers, although they hadn't yet got names as academics in their own right. I think again, that'll change in the next 18 months to two years. It sounds like you've made a good start to university life- but speaking from experience, I didn't win any academic prizes despite pretty good grades in years 1-3, but did in fourth year for the overall prize where it counted. I don't think getting involved within a department can harm your chances of impressing people that might be needed to write a reference though, but there's plenty of time for that. If you're heading for a first going into final year, then you'll be in a position to think about Oxford and Cambridge applications.
Reply 5
0404343m
Well, for Oxford you'll need three very strong references, and for Cambridge you'll need two. There really is no hard and fast answer of how to get one though- I was lucky in that I had someone that taught me for three consecutive years on something completely different to what I wanted to research, as well as having two people who both taught me for one year and then co-supervised a dissertation the following. I also had a 'special subject' which is an intensive final-year course (courses are four years in Scotland, so we have an extra year to get access to staff) which met for four-hours a week in a class of eight for 24 weeks, so my tutor in that knew me pretty well. I also had As under all of my referees, so I actually had four willing undergraduate referees who knew me well enough, which was saying something in a department of 50 staff and 800 students. That said, I also got involved in the running of the department and through the staff-student committee, as well as running tutoring for failing first years, so I got my name out there, and getting a first as well as the departmental prize helped get me the scholarship at Balliol, ultimately.

You'll get much more exposure to staff for a longer period of time in final year- in the first two we would often go through six lecturers in a 12 week term, and met for tutorials once every two weeks (so 12 times a year), and typically half of those were junior staff or PhD students- who could often be excellent teachers, although they hadn't yet got names as academics in their own right. I think again, that'll change in the next 18 months to two years. It sounds like you've made a good start to university life- but speaking from experience, I didn't win any academic prizes despite pretty good grades in years 1-3, but did in fourth year for the overall prize where it counted. I don't think getting involved within a department can harm your chances of impressing people that might be needed to write a reference though, but there's plenty of time for that. If you're heading for a first going into final year, then you'll be in a position to think about Oxford and Cambridge applications.

Again, many thanks for the replies that you have given, they have been most helpful.

One final question if i may. Even though you were predicted/awarded a first, what where the actual conditions of the offer you received, if you do not mind me asking?

Thanks.
Reply 6
davidcy147
Again, many thanks for the replies that you have given, they have been most helpful.

One final question if i may. Even though you were predicted/awarded a first, what where the actual conditions of the offer you received, if you do not mind me asking?

Thanks.

To attain within the top 10% of a 2:1- so basically a near-miss. It really depends on how they're feeling though, depending on which academic you speak to in Oxford depends on which reply you get. Some say the better your application is and the more the university wants you, the more generous the offer is, but in general to gain an offer they'll have to be pretty sure you're first material and thus the offer is just there to give you a slight safety net and that not just anyone capable of getting high 2:1 has any chance. Others say that it varies by course- and some will be less picky on firsts than others, and others say that snobbery is still rife and if you're coming from a dept thats perceived as weaker, they'll set a higher barrier to get in. On my course (which is actually Economic History, although it's joint taught by both depts and we've had people move freely between it and the M.Phil Economics) all of the UK applicant's whose grades I know were set the same conditional, but they're all from well-established universities: Cambridge, LSE, Glasgow, Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter- although most on the course are from North America and went to Yale, Princeton, Duke etc etc so weren't set conditionals on the same scale. I really don't know enough about the admissions process to comment on how the offer will vary, but it's best to bank on it being a pretty high 2:1 at the very least- Econ is very competitive.
Reply 7
0404343m
To attain within the top 10% of a 2:1- so basically a near-miss. It really depends on how they're feeling though, depending on which academic you speak to in Oxford depends on which reply you get. Some say the better your application is and the more the university wants you, the more generous the offer is, but in general to gain an offer they'll have to be pretty sure you're first material and thus the offer is just there to give you a slight safety net and that not just anyone capable of getting high 2:1 has any chance. Others say that it varies by course- and some will be less picky on firsts than others, and others say that snobbery is still rife and if you're coming from a dept thats perceived as weaker, they'll set a higher barrier to get in. On my course (which is actually Economic History, although it's joint taught by both depts and we've had people move freely between it and the M.Phil Economics) all of the UK applicant's whose grades I know were set the same conditional, but they're all from well-established universities: Cambridge, LSE, Glasgow, Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter- although most on the course are from North America and went to Yale, Princeton, Duke etc etc so weren't set conditionals on the same scale. I really don't know enough about the admissions process to comment on how the offer will vary, but it's best to bank on it being a pretty high 2:1 at the very least- Econ is very competitive.

Thanks again.

If I do happen to have any questions regarding applications or anything along that line, do you mind if I PM you in the future?
Reply 8
davidcy147
Thanks again.

If I do happen to have any questions regarding applications or anything along that line, do you mind if I PM you in the future?

No problem. As mentioned though, I think the next 12 months should be all about working hard and networking within your department through going to seminars in the like. But if there's anything pressing, let me know.
Reply 9
0404343m
No problem. As mentioned though, I think the next 12 months should be all about working hard and networking within your department through going to seminars in the like. But if there's anything pressing, let me know.

I will utilise your advice to the highest degree. Many thanks.
Reply 10
davidcy147
Hi there,

I plan to apply to the above universities for postgraduate study and wanted to ask those who have been successful in the above mentioned course at those universities, what you had to offer in terms of work experience and EC's?

**** all work experience. EC's - nothing noteworthy. It's probably a good idea being involved in some sort of research so that: 1) Whatever lecturer writes your letter of recommendation will have more reason to make yours stand out, 2) Oxford requires written work, and if you can demonstrate that you know a specific area well and can tackle advanced material that would help your application.

Other than that it's all grades and courses. Pick as many maths courses as you can (while taking the necessary the micro/macro theory).
I hold an offer from Cambridge.

ECs do not matter at all.

Work Experience only matters if its academic in my opinion. I was a Teaching Assistant, a Research Assistant (both at Uni) as well as a Research Assistant at an Economic Think Tank. I think this gave me the possibility to talk about research.
I went to Cambridge, I had essentially nothing in terms of work experience, it's really not important. Some of the people in my class had got some good stuff though like working in central banks etc, but I don't think that matters if you're coming straight out of undergrad.

I had tonnes of ECs but there wasn't much opportunity on the form to mention them, they're useful when you're applying to the trusts for funding though. My advice would be to plan out your GRE strategy and take your time (maybe do it over a summer) doing it, I did mine in a month start to finish and although I got the score that I wanted, I had to put unnecessary pressure on myself. If you do it early it also gives you the chance to resit if you feel you need to.

Latest

Trending

Trending