The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure your hall mates will love you for playing the piano everyday. And, no, definitely dont take one; it will take up loads of room and be annoying for other people; plus they'll think your strange even if you are doing music.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Possibly, dependent on your room size. You may have to make do with using whatever is available at uni, music students usually have 24 hour access to certain rooms and instruments.
Haha taking a piano to uni. Ive heard it all now!
So that's what..? About five foot wide, a foot deep and three foot high. I've seen uni rooms that could fit it - might be a tight squeeze, but I think it's a possibility.

If not, wouldn't a keyboard serve the same purpose?
erm you would probably be banned from playing it. Musical instruments are banned in halls of residents across my university and I believe this is common policy?
Reply 6
orca92
I'm sure your hall mates will love you for playing the piano everyday. And, no, definitely dont take one; it will take up loads of room and be annoying for other people; plus they'll think your strange even if you are doing music.

Right... cause knowing how to play an instrument is strange. I see your not at university yet... You'll find most people can and do play something.

invictus_veritas
erm you would probably be banned from playing it. Musical instruments are banned in halls of residents across my university and I believe this is common policy?

I've never heard of that. It's certainly not the case where I am... I used to play my guitar no problem last year in halls. My flatmate owns loads of instruments and plays them regularly. It can be annoying at times when hes playing violin scales over and over again, but I tend to just stick some loud music on then I can't hear it.

Instruments don't have to be loud anyway, at least no louder than someone watching TV. If the OP is using an electrical piano they can just turn the volume down, it's not a problem.

OP do you know where you will be staying? If not this is a pointless question. If you do, then ask them for room dimensions and musical instrument policy.
The wardens in the halls of my uni will not let anybody play instruments in halls - it's very inconsiderate for others. You could probably only use it at the SU or designated rooms.
Reply 8
Touched With Fire
The wardens in the halls of my uni will not let anybody play instruments in halls - it's very inconsiderate for others. You could probably only use it at the SU or designated rooms.

Why is it inconsiderate? Why is it any worse than playing music from your laptop - something all students do?
Ewan
Why is it inconsiderate? Why is it any worse than playing music from your laptop - something all students do?

That is still inconsiderate. And that is where the beauty of head/earphones kick in. Whereas if someone is revising or sleeping, they shouldn't have to wear earplugs or earphones. They paid to study there and they should be in condtions that allow concentration.
It is a digital piano. She can wear headphones.
I'll be honest, it's pretty pretentious.
kellywellydoodle
Do you reckon I'd be able to fit my piano in my room at uni (its a smaller digital one)? This is something like the model I have http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=889&c=40 ...

I'm just thinking...I'm gonna need it for composition and things...if worst comes to worst I could always get rid of my bed and sleep on the floor... :p:

Not. A. Chance.
Whilst I was in halls I had my own treadmill, Upright cycler, horizontal cycler & cross-trainer at various times - typically small room, strange looks when I left & offered cross-trainer to charity that collects unwanted goods (leaving area)...

Just a keyboard maybe, you're not going to be entertaining except in the music department anyways...
Reply 14
Touched With Fire
That is still inconsiderate. And that is where the beauty of head/earphones kick in. Whereas if someone is revising or sleeping, they shouldn't have to wear earplugs or earphones. They paid to study there and they should be in condtions that allow concentration.

Ah right, you shouldn't talk or live either in case it annoys someone who is studying :giggle: After all, studying is all you do at university :p:
The good thing about some electrical pianos is that they allow you to plug in headphones (or, wait, is that some keyboards? :o:)... but in that case, noise really wouldn't be a problem. That does seem pretty big, though, and I've seen some tiny uni rooms... Might just be worth asking the uni and how much you really want it there! haha.
why don't you get a copy of FL studio off a torrent ...or some other music sequencing software, buy a usb/midi keyboard

like this

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/QTX/MSTART3

and now you have you're piano on your desk.
There's nothing wrong with having musical instruments in your room. It is after all your room. If people complain, state that you're playing within reasonable hours and that you have to put up with their loud music too. If people want a quiet work space then there's loads of rooms on campus that they can go to to work in. As long as you're reasonable with your music I don't see any reason why you shouldn't take a piano. As for fitting it in, i've seen pianos fitted in all over the place and it's usually fine with a bit of furniture rearrangement!

Also, I personally got a lot of hassle from my hall mates last year so found that regular 9am saxophone practice was quite an enjoyable thing to do on my part, especially when I knew they'd been out late the night before (usually because they'd woken me up!).
Unless you live in a ground floor flat that is meant to be wheelchair accessible you are REALLY going to struggle getting that into your halls.

Why not just buy a keyboard? You'll have access to pianos in the music department most of the time anyway.
Touched With Fire

You're going to hate living in halls with that attitude, trust me. 4/10 of us in my halls play instruments regularly and even when none of us are playing there's always someone above doing so. Unwanted noise is something you have to deal with yourself because you can't keep going round telling everyone to shut up; no one will like you then.

As for the OPs question, does the piano detatch from the stand at all? Do you have another digital piano without such a large base? I think that will be the only problem you encounter (getting it through your door could definitely be tricky).

Latest