The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

You're all fully aware that noise is a non issue because, as the OP said, it's a digital piano and therefore can be used with headphones?

OP so long as you can get it up the stairs/in the lift and fit it in my room, there shouldn't be any problem. Consider insurance though?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
To everyone saying it's inconsiderate - it's a digital piano, they tend to have headphone jacks.
Reply 22
As long as its played at sociable hours and with headphones i wouldnt think it mattered. However, my next door neighbour last year had a keyboard and played it v loudly and at 3am which was very inconsiderate etc. Just be sensible about it etc. Some accommodation eg Devonshire have music rooms on site with pianos etc so that could be another thing to think about.
Touched With Fire
That is still inconsiderate. And that is where the beauty of head/earphones kick in. Whereas if someone is revising or sleeping, they shouldn't have to wear earplugs or earphones. They paid to study there and they should be in condtions that allow concentration.

Bullcrap. In my halls no one would care or complain about a bit of noise unless it was the middle of the night. Even then, being kept up every now and then or having to bear loud music in the day was expected and pretty much normal. That's what halls are like, I'm afraid.

Secondly, a piano is in no way disruptive. It's not loud and it's not annoying if you know how to play it properly. Since she's a music student, she is presumably going to be good at it. Every music student I know practises in halls, and my flatmate last year played the flute even though she doesn't do music. No one cares.

Also, it's a digital piano. You can wear headphones or turn the volume down. Learn to read.
kellywellydoodle
Do you reckon I'd be able to fit my piano in my room at uni (its a smaller digital one)? This is something like the model I have http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=889&c=40 ...

I'm just thinking...I'm gonna need it for composition and things...if worst comes to worst I could always get rid of my bed and sleep on the floor... :p:

Hi OP, just wondering if you know which accommodation you're planning on staying in? I'm currently at Leeds and living at Henry Price - my advice to you would be not to apply there if you're taking the piano, as there is no lift, so if you get put on the top floor, well! Also the rooms there, whilst having lots of storage, would have NOWHERE to put a piano! I am taking my guitar back with me this time after the holiday, and there's just about room for that!

Though it is a completely different story with the en-suite room (one in each flat) which is HUGE!! If transporting the piano up the stairs wouldn't be an issue for you, then it might be an idea to apply for the en-suite room, and you could explain to them exactly why you need that space (check if they would allow you to bring it first too, not sure what the policy is but I don't see why not!) - but keep in mind that there is no guarantee you would be offered the en-suite room, as they are very desirable, in a very over-subscribed hall!

One thing that might be useful for you to know is that at Bodington Hall, there is actually a music room there with a piano in. You book slots to use it, I'm not sure if it's free but I imagine even if it's not the charge would only be very small. If you look up Bodington Hall on the Leeds website, you'd probably find that information there. There are rumours of Bod being knocked down though I'm not sure how real they are! I believe there may be a piano at Devonshire hall too. Again, check on the website, as this might be something to consider rather than taking your own. If you definitely do want to take your own though, you definitely want to attend the accommodation open day (not sure if that will have happened yet) and see for yourself what kind of size you would be contending with in each individual hall! Hope this helps!
A point to whoever negged me, you do not know how i got treated in my halls. Trust me when i say that 9am saxophone practice was lovely in comparison to what they did to me.
hothedgehog
A point to whoever negged me, you do not know how i got treated in my halls. Trust me when i say that 9am saxophone practice was lovely in comparison to what they did to me.

It's still rather petty to lower yourself to their level in some form of auditory revenge ... and no, I'm not the person who negged you.
TheSownRose
It's still rather petty to lower yourself to their level in some form of auditory revenge ... and no, I'm not the person who negged you.

Meh, my opinion of life is that you should be able to get as hard as you give. They want to wake me up when i'm asleep, i'll do the same to them!
Reply 28
kellywellydoodle
Do you reckon I'd be able to fit my piano in my room at uni (its a smaller digital one)? This is something like the model I have http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=889&c=40 ...

I'm just thinking...I'm gonna need it for composition and things...if worst comes to worst I could always get rid of my bed and sleep on the floor... :p:

I know my brother managed to fit in a whole load of audio gear (mixing desk, amps, and a whole load of other equipment that I know very little about) - it might be a bit snug, but I'm sure you'll be able to fit it in.
hothedgehog
Meh, my opinion of life is that you should be able to get as hard as you give. They want to wake me up when i'm asleep, i'll do the same to them!

I think that's a rather small way of thinking. We should agree to disagree. :smile:

Hope you're out of that disruptive situation now.
Digital pianos can be made incredibly quiet. Sometimes the loudest sound from my girlfriend are the keys being pressed down.

I'd fit one in my uni room quite easily. I guess you'll have to check when you get there.

Instrument playing is pretty normal - my girlfriend had her guitar at uni, the girl across from me is always playing her clarinet and I'm constantly abusing my cello. You'll be fine as long as it fits :smile:
Reply 31
To whoever negged me saying that it was 'stupid' of me to say that fellow housemates will be annoyed by the playing of musical instruments. Its my personal opinion that if i'm in halls trying to study i don't want to have someone next door playing a musical instrument. This is my opinion; you may enjoy being disturbed by someone playing a trumpet etc; however, i expect that the majority of students would prefer to not have people playing musical instruments. This is why the music rooms are open for students to practice; so that they dont disturb other people; think about it.
It'll annoy the **** out of everyone
Electronic pianos = silent. They have headphone jacks and can be adjusted to be no louder than the pressing of the keys. It's not going to annoy anyone because they won't hear it!
Reply 34
The thing with people saying to get a normal keyboard or MIDI keyboard is obviously that the keys will most likely not be weighted... and if you want weighted ones then you will have the same problem with size as they are usually 88 key. There are some weighted 76 key ones around mind...

You most likely will have access to acoustic pianos in the music department though, so maybe it's worth the compromise of having a small 66 key keyboard or synth with unweighted keys just to doodle/compose on?
Reply 35
Err yeah, I'd be really miffed if someone in the room next to me brought a bloody piano..
Look...I have headphones so if it was late then I'd use my headphones...and I'm going for an ensuite at Oxley residences...wow can't believe so many people are getting touchy about it! It would be more for me to use to test ideas for composition anyway as opposed to playing full blown pieces. I'm very considerate to other people with regards to noise and I'd have it quiet during the day or use headphones at night. It's one of those pianos that you can dismantle before you take as well. It was more the logistics of fitting it into a room...Seriously though...why would it matter to any of you whether someone brought a piano so long as they weren't disturbing anyone? I'm going to make use of the practise facilities at Oxley...but I'll need to be on my own in my room to compose...because that's how I work and I don't have a keyboard.
My friend is jsut finishing her Degree in Music at Bangor and she had a portable key board which nicely fitted in as well as one of the USB roll up flat keyboard which did help her a lot!!!
Touched With Fire
That is still inconsiderate. And that is where the beauty of head/earphones kick in. Whereas if someone is revising or sleeping, they shouldn't have to wear earplugs or earphones. They paid to study there and they should be in condtions that allow concentration.

Honestly.... **** off.
Reply 39
I wouldn't bother tbh. I have to leave mine behind, I will come to terms with it, eventually :frown:

ETA: out of curiosity, how good do you find the keys are weighted on that digital in particular? In terms of range of dynamics too?

I would contact the uni about it tbh, people form your course and others may have done or asked this thing before.

I would stand no hope with mine, lol! Its a Bentley upright and weighs loads, I can't even move it across the room..!

Latest