The Student Room Group

Is university the right choice for you?

Scroll to see replies

Also, have you ever tried whilst at the interview if you bring up that you have no experience asking whther it would be possible to go on a probationary period for no pay, then if they like what they see they hire you....bit of negotiating?
Reply 61
pipedream
It doesnt matter what University I went to.

Biology is Biology

Haemoglobin is the same protein when taught at oxford and when taught elsewhere.

A test tube is a test tube whether in oxford or not.

I would lie on the CV, but if i lied about 2 years work experience

1.why havent i got references from those I worked with for those 2 years
2.Why cant I answer basic Questions theyre obviously going to ask me if i have these so called 2 years experience
3.when I get the job and cant do basic things the 2 years would grant me, theyre going to raise a few eyebrows.

Hmm, well I will definietly start asking a few more questions about my desired career (law) from now on. But yeah i guess all i can recommend is while doing your volunteering keep looking and more than likely i think you'll find a job before the 2 years is over.
pipedream
I am £30,000 in debt, Biology phD tuition fees are monstrous, plus supplies and equipment, and the fact I cant even afford rent, and the fact I pointed out I am going to be council house bound soon, wasnt enough evidence that I cannot afford a phD??

As to me getting a grant-yeah right, theyre rare, and when youre from a mid tier university, theyre pretty much non existent.

I'm sorry but this is a load of crap. Pretty much without exception all PhDs in science in the UK are fully funded by either a UK research council (such as the BBSRC) or by universities themselves. This includes all fees, equipment, supplies and a tax-free stipend of at least £12,000 a year.

The jobs I applied for where technician jobs, you still need 2 years exp

And no, a phD does not qualify as 2 years exp, (or 3-4 that it lasts)

a phD is still considered an academic experience, so when it asks for "2 years WORK experience" they literally mean experience in a professional workplace for a company etc, not a phD.

Why aren't you applying for graduate schemes and specific entry-level jobs rather than continuing to apply for experienced hire roles? Also, a PhD would significantly change your options in terms of working in science, to deny so is very facetious.
I reckon he went to Greenwich.
Reply 64
HighestKungFu

Your job prospects are better for having a degree, and it's not just what you gain at the end of it. It's what you gain throughout, the experiences, the character development, the joy of living your youth to its full potential.

I'm working now mate and I can tell you I miss education so much. This is the 'real' world, and it's a lot harder. Not necessarily 'harder' in the sense of how much it challenges me, but harder in the sense that I'm not as free or as happy (or intellectually fulfilled) as I was doing my degree.

QUOTE]

This is exactly why I am going to University.

Hell, I'm frequently being asked "is it the right decision", but a mortgage, car and no debts etc doesn't necessarily mean happiness? My sister for one has all of these things but I would rather the University experience. Everyone's different I guess

:yep:
Reply 65
pipedream
University doesnt offer placements, its a 3 year purely academic degree

EDIT:A year is not enough

www.jobsinkent.com

science and pharmacutical

Check every entry level requirement, 2 years minimum.

Plenty, I have contacted Pfizer, Cellmark, Kent science park, and lesser known companies.

No replies.

Tried Sir James Black? And the NHS? They need technicians and medical physicists and analysts and stuff, that might be a good one. My friend's sister has a job as a technician in an NHS hospital with a 2:2 music degree.

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch

eg: http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.cgi?selection=912457802

The Pathology Directorate are looking to recruit an Assistant Healthcare Scientist on a 6 month fixed term contract, to work in any section of the department. Undertaking duties to support Biomedical Scientists in the preparation and examination of biological samples.

y/n?
Reply 66
Diminutive
I reckon he went to Greenwich.

The OP said he stayed at home in Kent for his degree... which means it was either the University of Kent or Canterbury Christ Church. From what he said about placement years, which I know UoK offers, I'm assuming the latter.
Not that I think that the university choice really matters here but just pointing it out.

EDIT:
Greenwich is on the main line into London though, its only like 20 minutes from places like Dartford. I know quite a few people who lived in Dartford and commuted to Greenwich. He did say he had to commute on the train to university!

True but according to the website, the Greenwich biology degree has an optional placement year: http://www.gre.ac.uk/courses/ug/bio/c900mbmb
I thought the OP said his degree hadn't offered a placement at all? I could have misread it though.

OP,
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it must be awful for you, but you're not the only person out there struggling to find a job. For what it's worth (and feel free to disregard my opinion) I really think you should consider some of the suggestions put forward in this thread. You've gone down this route now and there's not a lot you can do about it except keep applying for jobs or trying different tactics.

I hope everything works out for you.
Greenwich is on the main line into London though, its only like 20 minutes from places like Dartford. I know quite a few people who lived in Dartford and commuted to Greenwich. He did say he had to commute on the train to university!
tbh couldn't you just become a biology teacher? sure its not the best job or best paying job but there will always be teachers needed.
Reply 69
pipedream
Now, I don't know about peoples personal lives here, but my life isnt "Oh father, may I borrow the Bentley today, I must meet tom and lucas at the cricket, haw haw haw"

Reminded me of this...

Pfft, really makes me reconsider uni
Reply 71
I noticed several pages back while having a read through this that you said there was only 1 PhD place available at your uni (Kent?) currently yes there probably is. But for future reference if anyone wants a PhD and a wide choice of PhDs they should be applying at the beginning of their final year, i.e. OP should have been applying in at least November 2013 for October 2014 entry. This can also be said for jobs, NEVER leave it until you've already graduated. EVER.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending