The Student Room Group

Nottingham - Few Questions, Will appreciate answers

Hey, I think I have finally decided and have chosen Nottingham for medicine 2010. I am really excited but do have a few questions about the place

1. How much time do you actually spend inside the medicine building? I knows its kinda separate to the whole actual campus (but you might live there) and you have that massive overhead bridge. Was wondering if medics, in the later years, start feeling secluded from the other bits of the university?

2. How well developed are the e-learning facilities? So are powerpoints/lectures/pdfs available online for learning? Also since we on this point, I know that the medical library has wifi to be used with computers but say if you were to get your laptop into lectures (I know that might not be the best idea for medicine) will the wifi work?

3. I know the BioMedSci degree we get isnt valued as high as a normal 3 years learned one (arguably rightly so), so of what use is it? Is it more of a name sake degree?

4. City of Nottingham. I know it seems like a great place but my parents are a tad bit concerned about how its portrayed in the media. You know... "Shottingham" and so on. When I came here I did find a few dodgy looking characters outside the campus (cant remember the name of the place but near the private first year self catered apartment bit) but thats like just another place. I know there are some quite rough areas, can someone tell me where they are located with respect to the university and whether it should be a more-than-normal worry?

5. Where do most the medics tend to live? Just wanted to have an idea, thats all.

Thanks, replies from students will be greatly appreciated. +Rep too, if something as trivial as that will increase replys :p:

EDIT:

6. Are there buses running like on the open days inside the main university campus? If you live in broadgate park, you will have to walk all the way across the campus everyday?
Reply 1
divinelord
Hey, I think I have finally decided and have chosen Nottingham for medicine 2010. I am really excited but do have a few questions about the place ahhh, macca, me too. and i am 'ere and all hehehe.

1. How much time do you actually spend inside the medicine building? I knows its kinda separate to the whole actual campus (but you might live there) and you have that massive overhead bridge. Was wondering if medics, in the later years, start feeling secluded from the other bits of the university?
not really, macca. you can go campus anytime you like and live on it after year 1 if you can afford it.

2. How well developed are the e-learning facilities? So are powerpoints/lectures/pdfs available online for learning? Also since we on this point, I know that the medical library has wifi to be used with computers but say if you were to get your laptop into lectures (I know that might not be the best idea for medicine) will the wifi work?
you wont need a laptop in lectures (mainly becos you wont need to go to the lectures hehe they are all on the wifi hehehe)

3. I know the BioMedSci degree we get isnt valued as high as a normal 3 years learned one (arguably rightly so), so of what use is it? Is it more of a name sake degree?
it used tobe more 'ighly valued, so its there as a continuity of the past.

4. City of Nottingham. I know it seems like a great place but my parents are a tad bit concerned about how its portrayed in the media. You know... "Shottingham" and so on. When I came here I did find a few dodgy looking characters outside the campus (cant remember the name of the place but near the private first year self catered apartment bit...)
ahh, i remember you now, macca hehehehehe
...but thats like just another place. I know there are some quite rough areas, can someone tell me where they are located with respect to the university and whether it should be a more-than-normal worry?
the city is fine. if you are a bit of a dumb poshie wif no streetwiseness then areas like radford might worry you but then you wont ever go there anyway, just call a cab like the rest of the poshies.

if you are pretty streetwise then you really dont need to worry about any area of nottingham. dumb fings appen only when you do dumb fings, you see.

5. Where do most the medics tend to live? Just wanted to have an idea, thats all.
during first and second year,in their rooms studying (when they are trying to pretend not to be studying).
after that they lose their self consciousness and 'ang out whereever they study the most.
Reply 2
Gizmo!
ahhh, macca, me too. and i am 'ere and all hehehe.

not really, macca. you can go campus anytime you like and live on it after year 1 if you can afford it.

you wont need a laptop in lectures (mainly becos you wont need to go to the lectures hehe they are all on the wifi hehehe)

it used tobe more 'ighly valued, so its there as a continuity of the past.

ahh, i remember you now, macca hehehehehe the city is fine. if you are a bit of a dumb poshie wif no streetwiseness then areas like radford might worry you but then you wont ever go there anyway, just call a cab like the rest of the poshies.

if you are pretty streetwise then you really dont need to worry about any area of nottingham. dumb fings appen only when you do dumb fings, you see.

during first and second year,in their rooms studying (when they are trying to pretend not to be studying).
after that they lose their self consciousness and 'ang out whereever they study the most.

Thanks for the input, put up another thing.

Do you know if there are buses running inside the main university campus regularly like on the open days?
I like the look of broadgate park but there is quite a walk to be made from there, right across the massive campus, to the medical school everyday.
Reply 3
i dont fink there is a free bus, macca.

Latest

Trending

Trending