The Student Room Group

Brits believe mixed-race people are the 'most attractive and successful'.

Mixed-race people are 'more attractive' and more successful, results of a new study suggest.

The Cardiff University study involved rating 1,205 black, white, and mixed-race faces.

Each face was judged on its attractiveness, with mixed-race faces generally perceived as more attractive.

Author of the study, Dr Michael Lewis, also suggested mixed-race people were disproportionately successful in many professions.

The study based its hypothesis on Darwin's notion of heterosis, the biological phenomenon that predicts that cross-breeding leads to offspring that are genetically fitter than their parents.

Dr Lewis said the phenomenon was mirrored in the results of his study.

"The results appear to confirm that people whose genetic backgrounds are more diverse are, on average, perceived as more attractive," Dr Lewis said.

Yet there is reason to believe that mixed-race people may not just be more attractive, but more successful.

Dr Lewis said: "There is evidence, albeit anecdotal, that the impact of heterosis goes beyond just attractiveness.

"This comes from the observation that, although mixed-race people make up a small proportion of the population, they are over-represented at the top level of a number of meritocratic professions like acting with Halle Berry, Formula 1 racing with Lewis Hamilton - and, of course, politics with Barack Obama."

Dr Lewis will present his findings to the British Psychological Society's annual meeting on Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8618606.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1265949/Mixed-race-people-attractive-finds-British-study.html

I would certainly have to agree :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are :colonhash:
I would say I agree, but I'm biased :smile:
They asked 40 people and this is supposed to be reflective of the British population?

Looks like propaganda to me..
Reply 4
What races were the participants? What was their dating history?

Though I do think black/white mixed people are attractive myself, im white.
Lol no.
Reply 6
I think that that mixed race, "mocha" skin tone is really lovely.
On the Daily Mails article, I would refer to come of the people they were talking about were Black?

Alexandra Burke, Obama?
Reply 8
I don't know about the validity of the study. But I would say yes, mixed-race people are comparatively better looking. Dunno about successful though...
Reply 9
Aren't most people of mixed ethnicity to a certain extent if they trace their ancestry?

Especially if they're from a part of the world like Mexico, the Lebanon or North India...
Jelkin
I think that that mixed race, "mocha" skin tone is really lovely.

Agreed. Just seems like the perfect skin tone to me, but it definitely wouldn't suit everyone.

But aside from that, whilst this may be true to a certain extent, I honestly think you can be attractive and successful regardless of your race... it's to do with SO MANY factors. Plus, if someone wanted to be pedantic, they could say that we're all a little bit mixed to a certain extent since the generations etc. anyway so I always take stories like this with a pinch of salt.
Mixed Japanese/white girls.

:333
effofex
Aren't most people of mixed ethnicity to a certain extent if they trace their ancestry?

Especially if they're from a part of the world like Mexico, the Lebanon or North India...

Yep, absolutely. I outlined this in my previous post: race alone absolutely cannot determine anything in that sense... it really isn't as clear-cut.

Cool study nonetheless. =P
Dumdedoobie
On the Daily Mails article, I would refer to come of the people they were talking about were Black?

Alexandra Burke, Obama?

Obama is half black...not everyone with darker skin colour is black :curious:
Joy Division

I knew that, thanks. Hence why I didn't mention the other people they were talking about?

And the reason I thought he was black was because I thought his presidency was so revolutionary because he was the first black president.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/05/uselections20084
Joy Division

From now on I might refer to Obama as "half white" just to see if people take issue with that.
Reply 16
thunder_chunky
From now on I might refer to Obama as "half white" just to see if people take issue with that.
I can't see why anyone would given that it's true.
thunder_chunky

Good point, actually.
ColdVein

I know it's true, however some people might see him just as a black man more than anything else.
Although they might know he's half white they might not associate him with being half white.
So if you call him half white rather than just calling him a black man some people might take issue with that.
ColdVein

Given that many people thing he's black because the media goes on about how he's the first black president when he is in fact mixed race...:giggle:

Latest

Trending

Trending