The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Asha5692
What's weird about the Indigenous category?... They're people too.

Everyone is indigenous to somewhere.
littleshambles
Everyone is indigenous to somewhere.

I stand corrected. When I said Indigenous I meant Native Americans and Native Australians... Which really, was incorrect.
Wasn't there a study saying something similar but not just straight 'mixed race' (half/half), people with mixed heritage that may look black/white/asian/hispanic etc.. This is due to their faces looking more symmetrical.
=D
aprilterri
Firstly don't patronise me I am not talking about skin colour or specific features here. I am talking about a look something I have not yet put my finger on but it is a look. Just like there being an difference in the look of a white French person to a white English person. You recognise it but cannot say for definite what the difference is.

I wasn't trying to patronise you, I honestly do not know the difference that you're talking about, regarding French people and English (indigenous) people as well. If on the other hand, you were to talk about Greek people and English people (Indigenous) then I'd know. Obviously this is causing unnecessary animosity, let's just agree to disagree.
Reply 104
since when was alexandra burke mixed race
Asha5692
Um, there are loads of Caribbean people who look very much like Africans. I don't know where you got the idea that we look that different. I'm of Afro-Caribbean decent, if you were to trace back a few generations, there'd be Africans, Indians, Scots, Spanish people, and Indigenous Americans... But I'm black.. And I look African, because that was quite far back, my hair, features and body shape are African.. and there's nothing wrong with that... The majority of Afro-Caribbean people I know do look African.

ERRRMM A lot of the time people from the Caribbean look different from those form Africa. This is due to people from the Caribbean being mixed up over time (during slavery) and also because many were from the same Tribes when captured before slavery.

Obviously most people from the West Indies 'look black'! It's common sense that there will be some differences in African and Caribbean looks after 100s of years apart, as there are cultural differences. Also the environment in which we live in and food that we eat, has an affect on our genetic make up.

I am from the Caribbean so I do know what I'm talking about. If you look at a group of my black friends you can see the difference; just as you can with many British and Eastern European people. They're both White yet look different due to numerous factors. Or Indians from India and the Caribbean.
Reply 106
Oh dear, more "brown skin is superior" propaganda. To be perfectly honest I think this is as racist as saying white skin is the most attractive and successful.
aprilterri
Ok we'll agree to disagree but when you come back to England sit on the bus and try and guess who is african and who is caribbean.
No animosity just thought you were trying to make me out as not knowing what I am talking about when I wouldn't have commented if I didn't.
:smile:

:smile: :p: :p: I'll do that then :wink:
Reply 108
Im mixed race (see prof pic)

1/2 arabic and 1/2 English..I do well in uni - looks id say are good - but depends what ya like =)
Rimipie
since when was alexandra burke mixed race

jj. tells me that she's black and Irish
unknownrebalz
ERRRMM A lot of the time people from the Caribbean look different from those form Africa. This is due to people from the Caribbean being mixed up over time (during slavery) and also because many were from the same Tribes when captured before slavery.

Obviously most people from the West Indies 'look black'! It's common sense that there will be some differences in African and Caribbean looks after 100s of years apart, as there are cultural differences. Also the environment in which we live in and food that we eat, has an affect on our genetic make up.

I am from the Caribbean so I do know what I'm talking about. If you look at a group of my black friends you can see the difference; just as you can with many British and Eastern European people. They're both White yet look different due to numerous factors. Or Indians from India and the Caribbean.

As I said to aprilterri we'll agree to disagree. Yes there was a little mixture years and years back (I'm talking about Afr-Caribbean people here) but my black friends (not the mixed ones) for the most part, look similar to Africans, as do I. There are also lots of 'unmixed' people in the Caribbean (I've put the in inverted commas because we're all mixed, even those who would be considered purely one race). The food we eat does not affect our genetic make-up, it can however, affect phenotype. For the most part, we look the same, in about 400 years, there will probably be many more observable differences.

I'm not talking about Caribbean people who are of obvious mixed heritage, I'm talking about black Caribbean people. Black Caribbean people, who do not have direct mixed heritage, to me, look just like black people in Africa. There are mixed people in Africa too, I'm not referring to them, I'm talking about black people here (not those who would not be considered mixed).
ak56
Oh dear, more "brown skin is superior" propaganda. To be perfectly honest I think this is as racist as saying white skin is the most attractive and successful.

I know... It's so annoying.
Asha5692
As I said to aprilterri we'll agree to disagree. Yes there was a little mixture years and years back (I'm talking about Afr-Caribbean people here) but my black friends (not the mixed ones) for the most part, look similar to Africans, as do I. There are also lots of 'unmixed' people in the Caribbean (I've put the in inverted commas because we're all mixed, even those who would be considered purely one race). The food we eat does not affect our genetic make-up, it can however, affect phenotype. For the most part, we look the same, in about 400 years, there will probably be much more observable differences.

I do not mean mixed as in mixed race, but mixed in the past. Even the mixing of two tribes creates a different look. It has been scientifically proven that people's environment and diet DO affect their genetic make up.
We do all look black with black features but many African's have distinctive features which are not seen on MOST Caribbean people.
I am not trying to distance ourselves from Africa's, but outline the clear difference that I along with many others, have observed.

But yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.
ak56

Since when did mixed race refer solely to people with brown skin?

Many mixed race people are white, yellow, pink etc.

eg .I am mixed race and white skinned

The article is referring to ethnicity, not skin colour.
unknownrebalz
I do not mean mixed as in mixed race, but mixed in the past. Even the mixing of two tribes creates a different look. It has been scientifically proven that people's environment and diet DO affect their genetic make up.
We do all look black with black features but many African's have distinctive features which are not seen on MOST Caribbean people.
I am not trying to distance ourselves from Africa's, but outline the clear difference that I along with many others, have observed.

But yes, we'll have to agree to disagree.

If we were to observe the African descendants in Pakistan or India, (the Sheedis) we'd see few physical differences between them and African people, and they've been there for about 300 years. In the same way, Afro-Caribbean people have not been around for long enough to look so distinctively different to Black Africans... Anyway, agreeing to disagree here right? Sorry for my ranting... I just honestly, cannot tell the difference between Afro Caribbean (the ones with 2 black parents) and Black African people... Anyway, I'll stop... :smile:
Reply 115
I'm not really attracted to mixed race people as much as white, they could easily pass for black most of the time though so i can't tell :frown:
Bluelight
that picture is from about 2 and a half years ago so stfu, also incase you hadn't noticed the topic isn't about me. thanks.

You're his brother right? I feel bad for you
Reply 117
No Future
Since when did mixed race refer solely to people with brown skin?

Lol, by mixed race I don't think they're refering to half British half French somehow.
Bolyolyoi
I'm not really attracted to mixed race people as much as white, they could easily pass for black most of the time though so i can't tell :frown:

wtf no.
ak56
Lol, by mixed race I don't think they're refering to half British half French somehow.

And nor am I. I'm not half French, LOL!

Latest

Trending

Trending