The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
PoisonGrrl.
People always forget that mixed race isnt only black&white.

Wentworth Miller, Johhny Depp, Milo Ventimiglia

Salma Hayek, Shakira, Jessica Alba, Vanessa Hudgens, KT Tunstall

A geneticist would certainly take issue with you describing Salma hayek and Shakira as mixed race, when they are both entirely caucasian. And Milo Ventiminglia and Jessica Alba's non-caucasian ancestry is so minute that it's a bit silly to describe them as mixed race, when a third of all people who identify themselves as 'white' have less than 90% Caucasian ancestry.
If mixed-race people are so successful, why does the multi-racial, Slavic/Mongoloid/Turkic country of Russia have a national IQ of 96, whilst the much more racially homogeneous country of South Korea have a national IQ of 106?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations#National_IQ_estimates
Asha5692
What's weird about the Indigenous category?... They're people too.

FAIL
I don't know about successful but they certainly do tend to be very attractive.
EarthlyLove
If mixed-race people are so successful, why does the multi-racial, Slavic/Mongoloid/Turkic country of Russia have a national IQ of 96, whilst the much more racially homogeneous country of South Korea have a national IQ of 106?

Because South Korea has a higher development index than Russia and possibly a better education system. Russia is not in the top 20 odd ''very highly developed'' nations list.

Also that IQ does not necessarily measure intelligence
Nor does intelligence or IQ necessarily result in success

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

Hawaii or Kazakhstan or even LA, for example are areas with lots of mixed (Eurasian) people
Yay im black and white mix I have a light brown capuchino colored skin time to buy my plane tickets to the UK
w00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t :smile:

i am one happy caramel coated peep :biggrin:
this seems kind of ridiculous....
i def agree w/ the people who say mixed race people are seen as more "exotic" and therefore
more attractive... beauty is so subjective.
i'm mixed race and one of the first questions i get upon meeting people is "what ethnicity are you?" b/c I look so different... idk
Huh? So 40 female students expressed a preference for mixed race people and now all of a sudden Brits as a whole believe mixed race people are the most attractive and successful? The newspapers don't half like making a story out of nothing.
Reply 129
Replace "mixed race" with "white" in the OP and hear the cries of racism.
O-Ren
A geneticist would certainly take issue with you describing Salma hayek and Shakira as mixed race, when they are both entirely caucasian.

How can they be entirely Caucasian, when they are part Middle Eastern? Arabs are a different race.
PoisonGrrl.
How can they be entirely Caucasian, when they are part Middle Eastern? Arabs are a different race.

people from the middle east are Caucasians!
Hugh-Jackman
people from the middle east are Caucasians!

Edit: So does that mean Arabs and Middle Eastern people are White?
PoisonGrrl.
Then why is it that when filling in forms, when it comes to the ethnicity section, there is an option for Middle Eastern?

Edit: Why not just have an option for Caucasian, rather than White?

I don't know, why don't you ask them.....the fact of the matter is...people from the middle east are caucasians.
PoisonGrrl.

pretty much....they're the same as Europeans just generally darker because they live in a hotter country and usually have larger noses for whatever reason that caused that 1000's of years ago.

Compare someone from europe to someone from Iran...then compare someone from Iran to a Chinese person or African....Iranians look pretty much the same apart from different complexion and the men tend to have bigger noses.

Middle east and Europeans are all caucasians.
Hugh-Jackman
pretty much....they're the same as Europeans just generally darker because they live in a hotter country and usually have larger noses for whatever reason that caused that 1000's of years ago.

Compare someone from europe to someone from Iran...then compare someone from Iran to a Chinese person or African....Iranians look pretty much the same apart from different complexion and the men tend to have bigger noses.

Middle east and Europeans are all caucasians.

I always thought they were a different race, just as most Arabs dont identify themselves as white. Anyways thanks for clearing that up.

Edit: I was regarding race and ethnicity as the same thing. They are the same race, but different ethnic group. My mistake.
PoisonGrrl.
I always thought they were a different race, just as most Arabs dont identify themselves as white. Anyways thanks for clearing that up.

Well they're not technically white or classed as white...but they're caucasians.

this map shows it well....when you get to India it's a grey area...but I don't class that as middle east.

Reply 137
PoisonGrrl.

1. hilarious ignorance is hilarious

2. neither are part Arab, although even if they were they'd still be entirely Caucasian

3. genetic distance tree sums it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Neighbor-joining_Tree.svg
Reply 138
PoisonGrrl.

White is not a scientific term, there really isn't any such thing as a white race. There never has been in genetics. People who use the term white tend to apply it to Caucasians who originate from modern day Europe, hence why Middle Eastern don't identify themselves as 'white'.

If there wasn't a Muslim-Christian divide I wonder if people would be so keen to make a distinction between Caucasians from modern day Europe and Caucasians from the middle east. I think probably not.
O-Ren
1. hilarious ignorance is hilarious

2. neither are part Arab, although even if they were they'd still be entirely Caucasian

3. genetic distance tree sums it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Neighbor-joining_Tree.svg

1. I am not ignorant. I made the mistake of associating Race and Ethnicity as the same thing.

2.Shakira and Salma Hayek both have Lebanese fathers, therefore are part Arab. Even their names are Arabic. Yes, they are not mixed race then, but have a mixed ethnicity.

Latest

Trending

Trending