The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Not too bad, but I couldn't find that 'mathematical olympiad handbook' alive recommended...where can you find it? Other than that I got a C2 revision book, went over how to prove things like sine rule, quadratic eqeuation etc...Can't find any additional past papers other than the 3 on the site though which is a shame.
Reply 21
I know it's a bit forward to be thinking about interviews but what the hey, hope for the best an start preparing. Do you think they'd expect applied knowledge like mechanics or not? and what dates are the interviews on?
Reply 22
thestudent
I know it's a bit forward to be thinking about interviews but what the hey, hope for the best an start preparing. Do you think they'd expect applied knowledge like mechanics or not? and what dates are the interviews on?

Interviews are 10th, 11th, 12th Dec as in the prospectus
Reply 23
thanks, I haven't actually seen the prospectus or been to open days. Just seen stuff online.:s-smilie:
average score on this test is 63% btw guys. It's meant to be hard
Reply 25
TheBhramaBull
average score on this test is 63% btw guys. It's meant to be hard

Where did you hear that?

I heard that last year you needed 80-85 to get an offer. (This was from someone at Merton though!)
Reply 26
at the open day (college was univ) i was told that people with marks around 60% still had a good chance of being accepted.. this was of course contingent on a good interview! but there were apparently a few getting 100%, so it won't hurt to practice.
anyone know where you can other practice papers or questions, apart from the 2 specimen papers available on the oxford maths site?
I don't think there are any other practice papers available because this is the first year that the new syllabus is in effect.
Reply 29
Been looking over the C1 C2 C3 books, but dont seem to help me a great deal.
Any other books that people recommend? Going over the past Senior Maths Challenge questions sound alrite?
brighthw
Going over the past Senior Maths Challenge questions sound alrite?

that would be good prep for the multiple choice questions.
Reply 31
spamuo
Not too bad, but I couldn't find that 'mathematical olympiad handbook' alive recommended...where can you find it? Other than that I got a C2 revision book, went over how to prove things like sine rule, quadratic eqeuation etc...Can't find any additional past papers other than the 3 on the site though which is a shame.

If you can find something that will teach you some cunning maths things that aren't on C1 and 2 then you should be alright, the book was mainly useful for interview I thought, to show you have some knowledge outside of the sylabus. Induction, some general results. I'm too tired to think atm.
Reply 32
if anyone could explain the question that I could not do:

Specimen paper 2 (April 2007 version) Q2 part (ii)
dont understand the g(t) business at all
Reply 33
Right, you have sketched the graph right?

So you are told that g(t)=t1tf(x)dx\displaystyle g(t)= \int^t_{t-1}f(x)dx where: 1t2 1 \le t \le 2

So on your graph consider marking where t and t-1 are, can you then express the area represented by g(t) by setting it as the sum of two seperate integrals?
half term will be spent preparing for this test then (sigh)
Reply 35
Consider yourself lucky you have all that time to prepare.

Im working full time!
My half term IS when the test is. So not too much preparation time for us South Walians, either :P
Reply 37
I just came across this forum while searching for the solutions of last year's admissions test. On the Oxford website I could only find the two specimen tests and the appropriate solutions, as well as last year's admissions test. I have finished all the Computer Science questions of last year's test, and would like to know what score (approx.) I achieved. Could anyone of you help me? Or, if you do not know the sample solution, could you please post your own solutions?
Thank you very much. :smile:
Just wondering who's thinking of applying to do Maths/Comp at Oxford this year, and to which college.
Might be useful.. :P
Bare in mind that:
#) Every (Maths+)CompSci gets an interview at another (random) college, and they get second refusal on you (your chosen college having first refusal)
#) The CompSci department will happily move people around even further if need be; you could have an interview at a third college or even an offer out of the blue from a random college.

Basically, what I'm saying is that choosing a college based on how many people apply there is essentially pointless!

(also, since I actually do math+comp at oxford, if you've any questions about it I can probably help)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending