The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
@Mikki
would learning a programming language be useful if i want to apply for maths + comp???
thanks in advance
Reply 41
khussain
@Mikki
would learning a programming language be useful if i want to apply for maths + comp???
thanks in advance

Hey Khussain,

I'm a Mathmo too (not CompSci, but I've run the Merton Open Day for both!), and I think what the tutors view on programming languages was that it's 'Nice to see' (I think were the exact words one tutor used!), but ultimately, it will largely come down to your interviews, Admissions test score, and grades. I think there's a lot of Python in the first year, so perhaps looking at that might be useful.

Hope that helps - I'm sure Mikki will have something to say about it too!
khussain
@Mikki
thanks in advance

In terms of entry into the course, the official stance is that no programming experience is needed. Everything programming-related is taught from the ground up; they don't assume that you know anything.

Saying that, I'd highly recommend you try it out. As henryt said, tutors will like it (it can only be a good thing, right?), but on a more personal level you'll find out if you enjoy programming/solving problems by programming. It'd be much better to find that out before you start your degree, instead of half way through the first year!!

Assuming you do enjoy it, the programming would also help in said first year if you know some of the basics. We had a course in first year on Java (a programming language, if you don't know it), but since I had experience in the language, I found the course easier than I otherwise would have.

Finally, the knowledge gained from trying out programming can only help you at interviews because you'll have learnt some basic ways of thinking about how to solve problems on computers.

Sorry, I've rambled! Basically: yes, try some programming! (Luckily) we don't do python at all; you do 3 different languages in first year, but Java's the only one of them which is good for self-teaching. Microsoft's "C#" might also be worth a try; I'd say it's more friendly for beginners!
Reply 43
Hi Mikki!
i'll start my math+comp course this October, any advice for this summer?
Hi 1899smj!

To be honest, there's not really that much which I could recommend at this point. Once the English results day is over, the colleges will start sending out general information which will probably include some work for you to do. We were set these:

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/practice-problems
http://web2.comlab.ox.ac.uk/geomlab/worksheets.html

It may be an idea to look over the maths sheets and see if there are any topics in them which you don't know. It wouldn't be of any harm to actually *do* the sheets, but it may be a bit pointless. :P Otherwise, I'd just relax and enjoy not having work to do!

Which college are you going to?
Reply 45
Icy_Mikki
Hi 1899smj!

To be honest, there's not really that much which I could recommend at this point. Once the English results day is over, the colleges will start sending out general information which will probably include some work for you to do. We were set these:

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/practice-problems
http://web2.comlab.ox.ac.uk/geomlab/worksheets.html

It may be an idea to look over the maths sheets and see if there are any topics in them which you don't know. It wouldn't be of any harm to actually *do* the sheets, but it may be a bit pointless. :P Otherwise, I'd just relax and enjoy not having work to do!

Which college are you going to?

Wadham
Programming in Haskell is "strongly suggested" on our reading list, so we'll do this language in the 1st year?
1899smj
Wadham
Programming in Haskell is "strongly suggested" on our reading list, so we'll do this language in the 1st year?

Yeah, Haskell (well, technically "functional programming" )) is the only Computer Science course which you will do in your first term (assuming things haven't changed drastically since last year). There will probably be 4 maths courses though; Analysis, Linear Algebra, Calculus (differential equations and in 2 dimensions), and Probability.

Regarding the book, there's no harm reading it if you can get a copy, but since the lecturer will assume no knowledge of the language it's not necessary.
Reply 47
thanks!
it seems that we still have a lot to do on maths....
1899smj
thanks!
it seems that we still have a lot to do on maths....

In first term yeah, but in the other two terms it's a fairly equal split between Maths and CompSci.

[The high proportion of Maths in Michaelmas (first term) arises because people doing "normal" Computer Science actually do two of the Maths modules (Calculus + Probability) too. I guess an argument can be made that of the 5 modules you'll do, 3 are "compsci" ones.]
Icy_Mikki
In first term yeah, but in the other two terms it's a fairly equal split between Maths and CompSci.

[The high proportion of Maths in Michaelmas (first term) arises because people doing "normal" Computer Science actually do two of the Maths modules (Calculus + Probability) too. I guess an argument can be made that of the 5 modules you'll do, 3 are "compsci" ones.]

By the time you get to DPhil level, you forget how to do basic arithmetic. :biggrin:
Hi I'm also applying for Mathematics and Computer Science at Oxford, and I'm really stuck on how to right a personal statement. Since its UCAS, the PS has to apply to all my other uk uni courses and more often than not the specific Math and CS course isn't offered by them.

I was wondering how you started your opening sentence, or if you actually specified computer science at all?
Reply 51
I want to apply for maths and comp sci at oxford however I have no computing experience I have ICT at Alevel but I know that it is completely different and is not as highly regarded as taking a science alongside with the maths Alevels I am doing. Also is it necessary to take 4 Alevels to have a good chance of getting in?
King of Fools
Hi I'm also applying for Mathematics and Computer Science at Oxford, and I'm really stuck on how to right a personal statement. Since its UCAS, the PS has to apply to all my other uk uni courses and more often than not the specific Math and CS course isn't offered by them.

I was wondering how you started your opening sentence, or if you actually specified computer science at all?

I wouldn't get too hung up on it. I'd say just mention both Maths and Computer Science, and other universities wouldn't really get suspicious if you were applying for say just maths; they'd probably presume that the Computing was just another interest of yours. Even if they didn't, they recognise that you're applying to institutions other than their's!
Heck, I put 'music' in the first line of my PS:

Jamie's Personal Statement
My three major interests and passions are Computer Science, Maths and Music, and I believe that there is a creative fusion between all these disciplines.

(you can find it here: http://www.studential.com/bio/getps.asp?ps=42&view=subject)
thanks! got it out of the way at least; now just a two month break before interviews.
Are they really focussed on math questions or does the conversation go all over the place?
Reply 54
King of Fools
Are they really focussed on math questions or does the conversation go all over the place?

My first interview started with a little on my personal statement but, beyond that, I just did lots of maths.
King of Fools
Since its UCAS, the PS has to apply to all my other uk uni courses and more often than not the specific Math and CS course isn't offered by them.

I had a similar problem, in the end I only applied for Maths + CompSci at Oxford and Southampton, and pure Maths for my other 3 choices. The unis for maths were all happy just seeing the grades they wanted, so I decided to split my personal statement fairly evenly between maths and compsci. It seemed to work fine, I ended up with 5 offers!

Just don't make it a cliché. I wrote some dribble about how computers fascinated me, and I know for certain that it had a negative effect...

You'll have a Maths interview, and a CompSci one (if you get invited to interviews). Maths interviews seem very maths focussed, with maybe a bit of logical thinking. CompSci was more about problem solving really, it's not like the Maths interview.

ayiannakou
Also is it necessary to take 4 Alevels to have a good chance of getting in?

Officially the only thing they want is maths, and they like further maths. Someone else will have to answer the 4 Alevels question, I don't know for certain (I'm pretty sure I've heard someone say that it has no effect other than being a bit more impressive than 3).
hey guys thanks for the help so far, doing practises for the mathematics admission test and I was wondering if you ever get back your marks. if so how well did you guys do? just trying to gauge the sorta level i should be performing at
King of Fools
hey guys thanks for the help so far, doing practises for the mathematics admission test and I was wondering if you ever get back your marks. if so how well did you guys do? just trying to gauge the sorta level i should be performing at

You won't get your mark back, although if you were truely desperate they might tell you if you asked.

Average score on questions 1-5: 64.3; amongst successful applicants: 85.0.

Average score on questions 1-5: 56.9; amongst successful applicants: 75.2.

Average score on questions 1-5: 58.7; amongst successful applicants: 77.0.
that's immensely helpful! thanks

so the admission test is primarly important i imagine?

btw what sort of questions do they ask you in the interviews? I've been hearing a lot of generic stuff like "Questions that test your logical analysis" but I was wondering if anyone can actually proffer an example of an interview question?
Reply 59
I'm not doing Maths+CompSci, nor am I applying for it (maybe you shouldn't really listen to me then :P), but when I went to the open day, in the computer science talk, they gave an example of them explaining to you that if there were a tournament with 32 players, and that in each match the best player definitely wins all the time; we can be certain that the player who wins the tournament is the best. However, we cannot be certain that the other player who loses in the final is second best; and so how could be then modify the tournament to best find the 2nd player? And how could this be done?
He explained that you would more be given hints on starting and expected to get further into it as you went along, and they would gradually make this more and more complex, eventually redesigning the whole torunament to find a definite 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or N-th best player with as few games as possible.

One thing he emphasized was that they wanted to find out the way you thought, and if it would be right for the course.

I'll be applying for maths, but this kind of logic/programming really really appeals to me, but I'm in maths too far now to really turn back. I can imagine I'll be taking a lot of these kind of optional modules when I start though! And good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending