The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

^^
Reply 781
Original post by AlvinLuiLui
When will shortlisted applicants invited for interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard medics were getting interview offers this weeek...???? I just REALLY WANNA HEAR FROM OXFORD SOON
Reply 782
Original post by 17lina
I heard medics were getting interview offers this weeek...???? I just REALLY WANNA HEAR FROM OXFORD SOON

Shortlisting decisions will go out around November 25th for maths.
Original post by RichE

Happy new year! :smile:

Are you (or the department more generally) monitoring the changes to A-level maths (and FM)? Have you started thinking about any changes required to your first year courses, or is it too soon?
(edited 7 years ago)
Right- I'm a third year . I was on the 2:2 / 2:1 boundary last year. I worked insanely hard. Sort of made me lose belief in the principle that effort equals results- this year I haven't worked nearly as hard-was a little demotivated- perhaps in danger of slipping into the 2:2.
Is it finished for me academically if that's the case? Career in mathematics over? How did people like Klaus Roth who got a third from Cambridge continue? Granted he is Fields medal material so something must have gone horribly wrong. But this is not me- all I need is to go somewhere else in a few years and be able to get a masters degree in mathematics- is this possible? I really really hope so :frown:.
If I know there are paths open to me where I can potentially get a first class masters with much hard work from somewhere else- all stress will go away and I can just study knowing there is a plan B. It is moving forward without direction afterwards that is worrying me.
Not that I'm in a huge rush- I plan to take a break from study in between work for a year then pay out of pocket for the 4th year (if possible)

RichE? anyone who has experience?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oxmathsy
Right- I'm a third year . I was on the 2:2 / 2:1 boundary last year. I worked insanely hard. Sort of made me lose belief in the principle that effort equals results- this year I haven't worked nearly as hard-was a little demotivated- perhaps in danger of slipping into the 2:2.
Is it finished for me academically if that's the case? Career in mathematics over? How did people like Klaus Roth who got a third from Cambridge continue? Granted he is Fields medal material so something must have gone horribly wrong. But this is not me- all I need is to go somewhere else in a few years and be able to get a masters degree in mathematics- is this possible? I really really hope so :frown:.
If I know there are paths open to me where I can potentially get a first class masters with much hard work from somewhere else- all stress will go away and I can just study knowing there is a plan B. It is moving forward without direction afterwards that is worrying me.
Not that I'm in a huge rush- I plan to take a break from study in between work for a year then pay out of pocket for the 4th year (if possible)

RichE? anyone who has experience?

If you're willing to pay, I reckon Imperial will let you do an MSc in which I reckon you'll find it easier to get at least a 2:1 (and maybe a first). UCL and Warwick may be options too. What is it you want to do after your degree? A PhD or a job outside academia? If it's the latter I would concentrate on pushing above the boundary at Oxford.
Original post by shamika
If you're willing to pay, I reckon Imperial will let you do an MSc in which I reckon you'll find it easier to get at least a 2:1 (and maybe a first). UCL and Warwick may be options too. What is it you want to do after your degree? A PhD or a job outside academia? If it's the latter I would concentrate on pushing above the boundary at Oxford.

Really? I read an external exam report where your own Richard Thomas was insulting our 2:1 :tongue:. It was on disappointing results day of last year- that made me feel even worse!
I have never looked at Imperial exams or material but from that report I always assumed it was equal to ours so have thought for a while Imperial was off the table. Wawick too. What makes you think they'd be ok?
UCL I was hoping I might have a glimmer of hope with.
Also how come the 2:1 is more important for the job rather than the PhD? It's just the job I care about I should add
Cheers for reply
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oxmathsy
Really? I read an external exam report where your own Richard Thomas was insulting our 2:1 :tongue:. It was on disappointing results day of last year- that made me feel even worse!
I have never looked at Imperial exams or material but from that report I always assumed it was equal to ours so have thought for a while Imperial was off the table. Wawick too. What makes you think they'd be ok?
UCL I was hoping I might have a glimmer of hope with.
Also how come the 2:1 is more important for the job rather than the PhD? It's just the job I care about I should add
Cheers for reply

Most graduate schemes in larger companies require a 2:1 (this is almost universally the case in finance, which is what I'm familiar with). If you've started to go through the process (as I assume you have given you're in your third year), then offers will be based on getting a 2:1 overall in most places, i.e. If you get a 2:1 at the end of the year then you'll not need to worry about studying maths again (although be warned, in finance there are lots of professional exams!)

As for Oxford vs Imperial, I would guess that Oxford covers a lot more material and at a faster pace. Imperial exams used to have more problem elements, and the exams quite volatile in terms of difficulty, but I think that's changed since I graduated. I would guess that at Oxford, if you learn the material (i.e. How to prove everything in the course) and how do to all the problem sheets, you should be able to get a 2:1. This is usually the case at Imperial too, but sometimes the exam had lots of unseen stuff no one could do. If the Oxford exams don't have lots of unseen material, it's difficult to differentiate between students as everyone will get high marks.

I saw Thomas' comments but I don't really agree with him in that both Imperial and Oxford have similar exam "styles", with Oxford's material being slightly more advanced on the whole. The unseen stuff in Imperial's exams aren't really that hard, so on balance I would say they're on a similar level with Oxford edging out in terms of difficulty of both exams and certainly the courses. I know a couple of cases of Oxford students transferring over to Imperial and the slower pace meant they aced the exams at Imperial. I can't see the latest Imperial exams but I'd be surprised if they beefed up the difficulty that much so that it surpasses Oxford's courses - when I left they were under a huge amount of pressure to give out 90%+ 2:1/firsts, as that's what some of the engineering departments did. That's why it'd surprise me if they went the other direction.

I don't really know if that helps - I ended up rambling!
Original post by shamika
Most graduate schemes in larger companies require a 2:1 (this is almost universally the case in finance, which is what I'm familiar with). If you've started to go through the process (as I assume you have given you're in your third year), then offers will be based on getting a 2:1 overall in most places, i.e. If you get a 2:1 at the end of the year then you'll not need to worry about studying maths again (although be warned, in finance there are lots of professional exams!)

As for Oxford vs Imperial, I would guess that Oxford covers a lot more material and at a faster pace. Imperial exams used to have more problem elements, and the exams quite volatile in terms of difficulty, but I think that's changed since I graduated. I would guess that at Oxford, if you learn the material (i.e. How to prove everything in the course) and how do to all the problem sheets, you should be able to get a 2:1. This is usually the case at Imperial too, but sometimes the exam had lots of unseen stuff no one could do. If the Oxford exams don't have lots of unseen material, it's difficult to differentiate between students as everyone will get high marks.

I saw Thomas' comments but I don't really agree with him in that both Imperial and Oxford have similar exam "styles", with Oxford's material being slightly more advanced on the whole. The unseen stuff in Imperial's exams aren't really that hard, so on balance I would say they're on a similar level with Oxford edging out in terms of difficulty of both exams and certainly the courses. I know a couple of cases of Oxford students transferring over to Imperial and the slower pace meant they aced the exams at Imperial. I can't see the latest Imperial exams but I'd be surprised if they beefed up the difficulty that much so that it surpasses Oxford's courses - when I left they were under a huge amount of pressure to give out 90%+ 2:1/firsts, as that's what some of the engineering departments did. That's why it'd surprise me if they went the other direction.

I don't really know if that helps - I ended up rambling!

Hahaha you noticed my ****up- thanks for quoting the correct username :smile:
Yes. Very helpful!

Original post by Kenya Not
@loveleest @loveleest @IdeasForLife @Zamestaneh

You sure you're in the correct thread?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 790
Question to any current students:

Who are the best lecturers/tutors at the moment - trying to give advice to someone applying as to which college might be best in terms of tutoring, but my knowledge is a bit out of date!
Had Worcester in mind but need another recommendation as they already have a classmate applying there.
I know people are generally happy wherever but wondered if there were any gems I should know about.

Thanks!
Reply 791
Original post by jameson.smiths
Anyone know if the Mathematics and Statistics for 4 years leading to a Master's was ever known to be MMathStat?
I thought I have known it as such but when I checked it is just MMath.

It's always been an MMath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending