The Student Room Group

Confused about GCSE retakes...

Hey, just joined as I figured this would be the best place to ask, lurked around here for a while from time to time and decided to finally join.

So, where do I start, I began my GCSE's in year 9 rather than year 10, so that I do my GCSE's over three years. The rest of my school does the same, so it's not like I was special and put forward a year.
Anyway, I'm in year 10 now, I wish I could turn back the clock as I've slacked a little and should of been more serious about it all, of course now I am and in the right mind set and all.

Here's where I'm tripping up and becoming confused though, I know that if you do bad or just want to try and gain a higher mark you can retake the GCSE, however I've always thought that you can only retake them in school in year 10/11 but once you finish year 11 you cannot retake them.
Now I've seen on google/yahoo people, who are aged 18+ asking if they can retake there GCSE's and been replied that they can and should look into a Collage.

So, my question... can you retake GCSE's after secondary school and in collage? :confused:

I apologize in advance for the amount of text and asking a question that's probably been asked 100's of times before!
Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
You can retake GCSE's any time :biggrin:
Reply 2
You can retake them when you're 90 if you wanna :smile:
Yes, but only the stupid people need to do that.
Honestly OP, if I was you I'd rather accept my GCSE grades and focus on my A-level in college rather than go to the extra hassle of taking the respective gcse exams all over again.
Reply 5
emma363
You can retake GCSE's any time :biggrin:

Really?!
THANK YOU!

I've been feeling really down lately about messing up, no to blame except myself of course, but this news is just awesome!
Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!
Yeah, you can retake in college and any time after that. I wouldn't bother though, unless you did really bad, or need higher grades to do a certain course or job. But yeah, go ahead and do them if you really want.
Reply 7
Hm, I guess your right. I just get so caught up with it, the way teachers go on about GCSE's has made me worried as hell. Are GCSE's not as important as they make out or what? They go on about when I get the results and there not the grades I want I'll feel bad, which is stressing me out lately...

I'll take your advice though because you guys will know me and concentrate with my future A-levels rather than causing more stress on myself with retakes.

Thanks Captain Nebula and TheCrackFox for the input, much appreciated!

EDIT: Thanks to CherryCherryBoomBoom and amie05 too, I like to share the kudo's around! :p:
Don't worry man, anytime in your life you can re-take your GCSE's :smile:

Although it's advisable to just get your head down and work really hard before your exams so you can come out with some good grades, and then focus entirely on your A-Level's when you do them (after all, A-Level's are far more important).

Good luck :smile:

Latest