The Student Room Group

Is there an age restriction from buying things from Ann Summers?

Just wondering, if anybody knows?

Scroll to see replies

hmmm if i recall correctly its 18
Reply 2
what do you wanna buy?? Depends imo
On underwear, as far as I know, no age restriction. On sex toys, on the other hand (and bondage things possibly) it's 18 :woo:
On the website they have no way of knowing though, so if needs be, that's the way forward :biggrin:
Reply 4
none probably only on DVD's

if you want things like lube and condoms you can get them frree from your local GUM clinic

sexy lengierie you can get from la senza

and sex toys are quite expensive anyway so maybe try shoping around
Reply 5
I think they kick under 18's out of the shop.
When my friends and I were young teenagers, we were told by the staff that under 16s weren't allowed in the back section of the shop where they keep the dildos and whatnot. They may have just been trying to fob us off because we were a bunch of 13 year olds giggling and switching on all the vibrators though. :p: I always thought the age for buying things was 16, because that's when you can legally have sex... but I don't know.
MovingOn
I think they kick under 18's out of the shop.

They've never asked me or my girlfriend though, and we've been using them since we were both 17.
Reply 8
I've seen one in Bristol which says "Over 18s only" (or something to that effect) in HUGE letters on the door O_o.

Though when I went to one elsewhere, I saw some very young people in there and no one seemed to care :tongue:.
Reply 9
where i live there is no age restriction to buying lingerie,
i know you can get sexy things from la senza, but in my personal oppinion anne summers has better quality , and nicer stuff.
but for the bondage gear, and DVD's and dildo's i think you ahve to bee 18, as in the uk there is some law about selling sexualy explicit material to under 18's is illegal.
but if there is somthing you reallly want but dont know if you'd be able to buy it in store go online.
hope helps
When I first went with my friend we were about 16 and they didn't say anything but that could have just been judging by appearance. I actually didn't know they had an age limit.
I remember buying lube in there when I was 15 and no one cared. I also bought a vibrator when I was 16 (I think, I could have been 17 though).
Reply 12
Original post by Not Invented Yet
When my friends and I were young teenagers, we were told by the staff that under 16s weren't allowed in the back section of the shop where they keep the dildos and whatnot. They may have just been trying to fob us off because we were a bunch of 13 year olds giggling and switching on all the vibrators though. :p: I always thought the age for buying things was 16, because that's when you can legally have sex... but I don't know.

The underwear area isn't restricted, but the back area is supposed to be for over 18s. That said, I and my friend look two years too young for 18 and we weren't questioned when we browsed there - I imagine they just leave it up to discretion as to whether they sell you certain items or not.

As it is, it makes no sense for them to age-restrict products such as dildos - after all, another person doesn't have to be involved if a dildo is used, and even then the legal age to have sex is 16 anyway - so what they're saying is 'you can have sex with another person two years earlier than you can buy this and use it for yourself'?!
I think its technically over 18 for the back (find it stupid that you can legally have sex at 16, but not legally buy things to enhance it til 18) but they will use their discretion. If you are younger, old enough to know what you are doing and behaving maturely, they will turn a blind eye.
Reply 14
Don't think there is an age limit, it's not classed as a sex shop some how
Reply 15
No limit for the front underwear bit, as far as I know. I bought a bra in there when I was about 14.

I think there's a limit for the back area with all the sex toys etc, which is 18 I think. I don't think they'd ask for id if you looked about 16 or over, though. My boyfriend (now ex) bought me something in there when he was 17. When I recently bought a bra in there, I was told of an offer on vibrators at the till, implying she was prepared to sell them to me, and I am now 17.

It depends on the shop in your area, I'd imagine. Some probably have a strictly no under 18s policy on the whole shop. I know online you cannot buy anything (even underwear) if you are under 18 .
Reply 16
Original post by lou_100
No limit for the front underwear bit, as far as I know. I bought a bra in there when I was about 14.

When you boil it down a bit, a bra is just a bit of practical clothing and, regardless of the age of the buyer and the styling of the garment, it would be unfair to deny the sensible-minded girl a chance to browse the styles.

Original post by lou_100
I think there's a limit for the back area with all the sex toys etc, which is 18 I think.

Of course it makes sense not to expose youngsters to anything that's excessively raunchy, but nobody could ever believe that people are only sexually active by the age of 19.

Original post by lou_100
When I recently bought a bra in there, I was told of an offer on vibrators at the till, implying she was prepared to sell them to me, and I am now 17.

Interestingly, me and my friend had the same offer! Two for £5 on bullet vibrators, I do believe. Not your everyday make-up or hair gel offer; I work in a supermarket and we're supposed to offer Cashback rather opposed to hand-held pleasure, haha!

Original post by lou_100
I know online you cannot buy anything (even underwear) if you are under 18 .

On the contrary, you can usually get anything online - lubes, underwear, condoms; it's all available online. To be honest, if you're a responsible individual you're best off browsing the web for your supplies, even if it takes a couple of tries to get the best fit!
Reply 17
Original post by Exo18
When you boil it down a bit, a bra is just a bit of practical clothing and, regardless of the age of the buyer and the styling of the garment, it would be unfair to deny the sensible-minded girl a chance to browse the styles.

Of course it makes sense not to expose youngsters to anything that's excessively raunchy, but nobody could ever believe that people are only sexually active by the age of 19.

Interestingly, me and my friend had the same offer! Two for £5 on bullet vibrators, I do believe. Not your everyday make-up or hair gel offer; I work in a supermarket and we're supposed to offer Cashback rather opposed to hand-held pleasure, haha!

On the contrary, you can usually get anything online - lubes, underwear, condoms; it's all available online. To be honest, if you're a responsible individual you're best off browsing the web for your supplies, even if it takes a couple of tries to get the best fit!

No, I meant the actual age policy on buying anything online is 18. It says in their T and Cs. Presumably you have to create an account and say you're 18, or perhaps they recognise it from your card details. I don't know, I don't know how it works as I've never done it. In reality, obviously you can buy things on there by using an older friend's card or lying about your age. I meant by policy, it is 18.
The legal age is 16 but if you look 17 or older they won't ask for ID. I was in there yesterday and a woman came over and asked if I needed help looking for something; I'm 15 so yeah.
Original post by Analbeads123
The legal age is 16 but if you look 17 or older they won't ask for ID. I was in there yesterday and a woman came over and asked if I needed help looking for something; I'm 15 so yeah.

Your name is rather fitting.

Quick Reply

Latest