The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

random123456789
Hey

I applied for CompSci at notts and since the course is in Ucas Extra, does that mean it's more likely to be in clearing this year since Computer Science doesnt tend be that popular??

Thanks

I highly doubt it. Nottingham rarely has places in clearing. You see, it doesnt NEED to put places in extra, it will always have enough quality applicants to fill its places, it will only put a few places up just to test the water and see what bites, esp if they are intl's

Also, I think people need to check the extra section more carefully. some universities (nottingham for example) list all of their courses in extra, but they all say that they are full next to the course, so actually it has no extra courses. Other unis do the same
PantryLeader

A friend of mine applied though extra after being rejected by all of his choices, even though he got AAA, and received offers from Bristol, Warwick, York, Nottingham and Exeter for a whole variety of subjects, ranging from Archaeology, English Lit, Film and classics (he wanted to get offers to make him feel better so applied to loads and kept rejecting them to take the piss)

Are you quite sure he wasn't pulling your leg? I find it very difficult to believe that any one candidate could successfully get through UCAS Extra five times in one year, and with several different subjects.
Good bloke
Are you quite sure he wasn't pulling your leg? I find it very difficult to believe that any one candidate could successfully get through UCAS Extra five times in one year, and with several different subjects.

Definitely, I saw all the offer letters. This was back in 2005 though, maybe things have changed. Seemed to him, and me, that provided you had the grades required they would give you an offer no matter what. I mean, he applied for history initially, then applied for things like English lit and film at warwick, and arch and anth at bristol, wrote a new and very brief PS on those subjects, and got offers in less than 2 weeks each time.
Don't expect them to lower their entry requirements just because they are in Extra. Top universities are very unlikely to do this. If they are in Extra then there is a possibility that they may also go into adjustment, which is probably your better option if you think you might exceed the offer of your firm choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending