The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You get put into whatever room your year group can fit into. We had a sports hall.
we have been in a few lecture theatres, thats not fun when people finish early and want to leave so you have to get up and let them out... if thats not distracting i dont know what is.
Reply 3
Yeah ours are in a sports hall too. Its much bigger then those that are at schools. And you'll have a school size desk. They can be in different campus buildings too in classrooms depending on the amount of people doing the exam.

At my Uni in the sports hall they arrange the desks in lines of modules. For example it could be my module and then in the next line it would be a completely different subject so it prevents cheating etc.

Also, not sure about other Uni's, but once you've finished you can leave if you want to (only after the first hour of the exam and not in the final 15 mins), not like school where we have to sit there until the end.
Sports hall. Tiny desk. Crap invigilators. The works.
Reply 5
In my experiences it's not been too bad, single desks - plenty of room.

It does depend on how many people are doing your course/module/exam..

It's not as many as secondary school though :smile:
I'd say the exams are pretty chilled. You get the bus to the sports hall/other hall, sit in front of your aforementioned tiny desk, do your paper, leave, bitch about how hard it is and how everyone's going to fail, sit on the grass beneath the cloudless sky for a while :moon: then take the bus back home and go to Subway. :ahee:
Reply 7
Payno
In my experiences it's not been too bad, single desks - plenty of room.

It does depend on how many people are doing your course/module/exam..

It's not as many as secondary school though :smile:

Biggest advantage imo will be NO MORE BELLS!!!! I cant concentrate if the exam is at lunch...because there are up to 5 bells..and if in the pavillion..there are 2 bells in the room so I jump at every one :'(

Oh and if someone sneezes loudly :'(
Reply 8
like a joke
At my uni we have them in a massive conference building with zones and an automated announcement system over a tannoy that makes me jump every time :frown:

Last year it was just a room with a small desk.. not very interesting!
loopykitten!
we have been in a few lecture theatres, thats not fun when people finish early and want to leave so you have to get up and let them out... if thats not distracting i dont know what is.

You actually get up? I didn't...
Reply 11
easter_bunny
At my uni we have them in a massive conference building with zones and an automated announcement system over a tannoy that makes me jump every time :frown:

Last year it was just a room with a small desk.. not very interesting!

Which Uni? I am not going there :biggrin:
Reply 12
You will find that exams at university are indeed different from school. Now the exam papers are in two parts. Questions on one side and answers on the other side. The trick is to know when to turn over the paper without the invigilator watching you see! Thats why there are more and more graduates with 1st and 2.1s. Just like A-levels, university degrees are being dumbed down. Exams are now done in bite sized chunks, and tropics are modular so everything is easy to pass and get high marks. So a graduate today with a 1st is probably equivalent to a graduate with a 2.2 degree 20 years ago or more. No university wants to fail you as they want your money. Thats why foreign students do so well, they pays top dollar and gets top degree even if by rights they should fail.:eek3:

It will be a matter of time when a degree will be handed out with the birth certificate. PhD is guaranteed if you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth! :yep:
Reply 13
Jamjar
You will find that exams at university are indeed different from school. Now the exam papers are in two parts. Questions on one side and answers on the other side. The trick is to know when to turn over the paper without the invigilator watching you see! Thats why there are more and more graduates with 1st and 2.1s. Just like A-levels, university degrees are being dumbed down. Exams are now done in bite sized chunks, and tropics are modular so everything is easy to pass and get high marks. So a graduate today with a 1st is probably equivalent to a graduate with a 2.2 degree 20 years ago or more. No university wants to fail you as they want your money. Thats why foreign students do so well, they pays top dollar and gets top degree even if by rights they should fail.:eek3:

It will be a matter of time when a degree will be handed out with the birth certificate. PhD is guaranteed if you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth! :yep:

I don't believe you that the answers are right next to you...
Reply 14
matt_copas
I don't believe you that the answers are right next to you...

University is a doddle these days......exam are easie peasie...........as I said universities won't and don't fail you and so the answers are given out with the questions. Yes sir degrees are doled out like confetti. I'd say the dumber you are, the higher the degree classification, and if you're a foreign student with money then the the degree is guaranteed mana cum laude award.:wink:
Reply 15
Jamjar
University is a doddle these days......exam are easie peasie...........as I said universities won't and don't fail you and so the answers are given out with the questions. Yes sir degrees are doled out like confetti. I'd say the dumber you are, the higher the degree classification, and if you're a foreign student with money then the the degree is guaranteed mana cum laude award.:wink:

But GIVING the answers....wtf
He is OBVIOUSLY joking, don't fall for it.
Teeny weeny desks . .although not enough space between your desk and the person either side of you (so you get the odd person trying to break their neck to look at your paper :facepalm:) . . usually v quiet in a large hall. Couple times I have sat the exams, have had no probs at all.
Depends.

The UoL often hires town halls, so my one of my exams was in Bethnal Green Town hall and you can end up traipsing all over the place for an exam (Bethnal Green is not particularly close to my uni). They won't necessarily be at the uni.

My last exam was in a bog standard classroom in the uni, not a sports hall or anything. Though the one before was in the sports hall.
Oh and looking at my timetable, the next one will be in a classroom.

If you're talking about how the exam's structured, then like this (well, mine is anyway :dontknow:)

Spoiler

:nothing:
Reply 19
unpredictable i always seen to get questions that i've never even heard of before even if i revise all my lecture notees... i think i should start doing the extra reading

Latest

Trending

Trending