The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

actually, whilst it might be a good idea to go over some of the fundamental/more advanced concepts in maths, i'd say the most important thing is to be prepared to hit the ground running in September. You'll have exams in January, and if you end up needing to do resits, that *is* a lot of content to learn/revise/remember before June. People tend to doss for the couple of months, and that can screw you over a bit when it comes to the modular exams. Obviously it's quite do-able to resit in June, but it makes your life harder than it needs to be.
Reply 21
Chill out now, work consistently throughout the year.
Reply 22
They expect you to come in forgotten everything :tongue:

If there's something particularly you always struggled with, especially like Maths/Physics, it would be good to get yourself set with them (sooner rather than later) but to be honest, just have a nice summer break :wink:

The only subject i'd ever recommend keeping up with over a summer break is a language ¬_¬
Reply 23
italienmoose
I'd just done my GCSE exams. Why would I have bothered to revise GCSE stuff after the exams? With the exception perhaps of French, but that's only because I was going to France afterwards.
AS maths is easy. But I did get an A* at GCSE with no effort ever.
A2 maths is, however, something more of a challenge. Am actually having to revise for it to avoid getting Us in the mocks.

I got an A in GCSE maths but that was on my resit - first time I was one mark off an A. :s-smilie: If a supergenuis who could get A* at GCSE without any effort is worried about getting a U at A2 then I better get to revising, lol. I am only actually worried for maths, one of my teachers advised me to revise algebra and such[I think I am quite good with algebra though so that shouldn't be too bad:smile: ], since I am doing Stats now.
Reply 24
Emmie3303
That's exactly what I did :smile:. In that case I would look over your notes briefly in September before you go back. To be honest, my GCSE maths teacher was terrible, but it still didn't take me long to get back into A Level. I wouldn't do any more than that. You will have enough to do when you get to college so just enjoy the summer and take the time to relax. There is no such thing as a holiday at Sixth Form as they nearly always fall during revision time. Take the holiday time you are given now and use it :grin:.

That's a good idea:biggrin:
Reply 25
lizzay
I am going to sixth form this September and have chosen:

Maths [Edecel]
Physics [AQA]
Geography [Edexcel]
ICT [OCR]

I was just wondering if any of you chose these subjects how you are finding the courses and what would you recommend I do to prepare myself for them?

Or just sixth form advice in general, if you have any...

:biggrin:

Stop procrastinating on TSR! :naughty:

Thats pretty much my only advice! :p:
Reply 26
Nymthae
They expect you to come in forgotten everything :tongue:

If there's something particularly you always struggled with, especially like Maths/Physics, it would be good to get yourself set with them (sooner rather than later) but to be honest, just have a nice summer break :wink:

The only subject i'd ever recommend keeping up with over a summer break is a language ¬_¬

Good - sometimes I forget how to write over the hols :lol:

So happy I didn't choose french Alevel - I love the GCSE but sometimes I just get sick of it and I know someone who was born and lived in France but moved here and is currently doing the Alevel and she finds it hard.
Reply 27
win2kpro
Stop procrastinating on TSR! :naughty:

Thats pretty much my only advice! :p:

Sorry it can't be done.:p: You will have to drag me away from my keyboard :yep:

Anyway I don't have any exams till June 10th now I deserve a brake :huff: and that is just french which will be easy as long as I keep up to date with vocab and what not.
Reply 28
Just bear in mind maths GCSE to A level is a huge jump. People at my school who got A*s at GCSE got Cs in January. So unless you're naturally really good at maths, maybe it would be good to over it a bit :smile:
Reply 29
Don't bother, that's my advice. I missed the first few weeks of AS's and it did me no harm whatsoever.

Just work consistently from September to June and make the most of this summer because it's just fantastically long.
lizzay
That's a good idea:biggrin:

:grin:

(Now lets just hope we get good weather to make it a perfect summer :p:)
Reply 31
Emmie3303
:grin:

(Now lets just hope we get good weather to make it a perfect summer :p:)

Yeah that would be nice - I hate the hot nights though I just can't sleep :frown:
lizzay
Yeah that would be nice - I hate the hot nights though I just can't sleep :frown:

Same, luckily there is nearly always a breeze where I live so I just leave the window open :smile:.
Reply 33
don't do it !!!! haha no just relax in the summer before all the busy busy hard work starts in september....good luck :smile:
Reply 34
A job perhaps? Something non academic to help your CV?
Reply 35
Emmie3303
Same, luckily there is nearly always a breeze where I live so I just leave the window open :smile:.

Lucky

I would do that but I am on the second floor and my cats might try to jump out the window in the middle of the night.:s-smilie:
Reply 36
IAmMrPink
A job perhaps? Something non academic to help your CV?

I have thought about this not so much for my CV but more because it would help me save up some cash. I don't really know what kind of job I could do right now that would look that good on my CV.
Reply 37
lizzay
I am going to sixth form this September and have chosen:

Maths [Edecel]
Physics [AQA]
Geography [Edexcel]
ICT [OCR]

I was just wondering if any of you chose these subjects how you are finding the courses and what would you recommend I do to prepare myself for them?

Or just sixth form advice in general, if you have any...

:biggrin:

you should check what IT course you will be doing, if you're doing the basic IT one (which is basically learning to use word, excel etc) then it's gonna be pretty useless so I wouldn't recommend it. If it's the actual computing course (which is like programming) then that will be useful
lizzay
Lucky

I would do that but I am on the second floor and my cats might try to jump out the window in the middle of the night.:s-smilie:

Oh dear, that might be a problem! (We had a problem last year with a cat trying to get in the house that wasn't even ours lol, as soon as we left a window open it was in :p:.)
Reply 39
Emmie3303
Oh dear, that might be a problem! (We had a problem last year with a cat trying to get in the house that wasn't even ours lol, as soon as we left a window open it was in :p:.)

One of my cats was actually a stray that kept begging us for our other cats food, we eventually just started to let him sleep here. He got so skinny, still is, despite us trying to feed him up.:frown:

Latest