The Student Room Group

General A level History help (OLD SPEC)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tashachelsea13
Does anyone have witchcraft notes for the new specification that I could combine with my own? It would of great help!!

Hey! What exam board are you on??
Original post by Ruthie2267
Hey! What exam board are you on??

Edexcel
Reply 242
Original post by cdog123
I am all for that, however, i have managed to complete mine and it is currently being marked by my teacher, i will let you know what i get it back. However, are you struggling with South Africa and the USA as recently found there is no revison guide being released until May :frown:

hi do you know when the revision guides will be released / who by as well ?
Has anyone got their NEA grade back?
Original post by Rue_xx
hi do you know when the revision guides will be released / who by as well ?

Presuming you are doing route F, we have been told there will be none until 2018, which is fantastic news for all us sitting the exam this year.
Hi everyone!

I am studying for the new AQA tudor A2 exam,and my teacher isn't great.

Does anyone by any chance have some exemplar essays/essay plans for Elizabeth I/Edward/Mary?

thank you
Hey guys, does anyone know how you would go on to answer this essay question on the Tudors: "The Catholic Church in England in the period of 1485-1529 was criticised primarily because of the failings of the clergy." Assess the validity of this vie. (25) I've finished my notes for my Tudor course but when it comes to essay practice my mind just goes blank :/
Original post by Sabnamraii
Hey guys, does anyone know how you would go on to answer this essay question on the Tudors: "The Catholic Church in England in the period of 1485-1529 was criticised primarily because of the failings of the clergy." Assess the validity of this vie. (25) I've finished my notes for my Tudor course but when it comes to essay practice my mind just goes blank :/

Intro

P1 - why it was clergy (+)
P2 - why it wasn't wasn't the clergy (-)

p3 - Why it was e.g. corruption and wealth (+)
P4 - Why it wasn't e.g. corruption and wealth (-)

p5 - Was it criticised? evidence suggests heavy support - e.g. wills and attendance.
P6 - The evidence is contrived and misleading (-)

Conclusion
Hi,
In my history exam today, I made a mistake on a 4 marker about the Prague Spring (it required you to give 2 points about the Prague Spring for 4 marks with evidence). I wrote Imre Nagy, instead of Dubcek and x instead of Husak (loyal communist put in place of Dubcek). However, in the same question, I talked about the reforms and the formation of the Brezhnev doctrine...how many marks do you think I will get?
Posted from TSR Mobile
My son is currently studying tudors and has an exam tomorrow, any useful tips?
My AQA history 1D exam went okay. However I made a huge mistake of stating constitutional monarchy was when the monarchs is more equal to the power of Parliament.
Original post by Hashbrown98
My AQA history 1D exam went okay. However I made a huge mistake of stating constitutional monarchy was when the monarchs is more equal to the power of Parliament.

I did 1D too. How did you find the Extract Questions? And with the Constitutional monarchy Question, I defined it as a monarch that was limited and was a King in Parliament
Original post by AhsanIqbal14
I did 1D too. How did you find the Extract Questions? And with the Constitutional monarchy Question, I defined it as a monarch that was limited and was a King in Parliament

Hey.
It was okay, however I totally messed up as I wrote a conclusion which stated extract 3 is the most convincing. I forgot you weren't meant to compare. Honestly I'm not so optimistic about it all. How did it go for you?
Hey.
It was okay, however I totally messed up as I wrote a conclusion which stated extract 3 is the most convincing. I forgot you weren't meant to compare. Honestly I'm not so optimistic about it all. How did it go for you?

I'm not really happy with how my response to the extracts went :/ The Essay questions were okay though (I think). But I'm really not happy with how the extracts went, I always seemed to struggle with that section. Did you do the Charles/James finance question btw? if so, what were your points?
Why aren't you happy?

I did james/charles finance too. I think it went okay
1. James was extravagant/but financial system for the crown was weak
2. James used purveyance/however thus was hated and caused opposition.

2.Charles forced loan/ was a failure and caused political opposition
3. Wasted money on foreign policies/can't remember if I provided a rebuttal.

I feel like i should have used more evidence

For the second question

1. James was an absolute monarch evidence: Direction to preachers/ rebuttal however Parliament still had the power as they were merely tolerating james as they thought he had no Catholic heir.

2. Godden vs hales/ can't remember the rebuttal.

3. William was constitutional the oath and mutiny act/ act was so specific it didn't make much difference.

4. Act of settlement and triennial act limited his power/act of settlement did not limit his power as much as he would probably always have chosen a protestants successor. However this still limited his military powers and limited the monarchy.

I feel like i could have used more evidence and explained it all better
Why aren't you happy?

I did james/charles finance too. I think it went okay
1. James was extravagant/but financial system for the crown was weak
2. James used purveyance/however thus was hated and caused opposition.

2.Charles forced loan/ was a failure and caused political opposition
3. Wasted money on foreign policies/can't remember if I provided a rebuttal.

I feel like i should have used more evidence

For the second question

1. James was an absolute monarch evidence: Direction to preachers/ rebuttal however Parliament still had the power as they were merely tolerating james as they thought he had no Catholic heir.

2. Godden vs hales/ can't remember the rebuttal.

3. William was constitutional the oath and mutiny act/ act was so specific it didn't make much difference.

4. Act of settlement and triennial act limited his power/act of settlement did not limit his power as much as he would probably always have chosen a protestants successor. However this still limited his military powers and limited the monarchy.

I feel like i could have used more evidence and explained it all better

I wasn't happy with the extracts because I felt I could have written more and structured it a bit better.

And for the Financial question I structured mine like..
Charles addressed Financial Weaknesses
- Removing the debt roughly by 1635 through schemes medieval schemes.
- Book of Orders attempted to also increase the collection of tax that had been corrupt since James and imposed new Impositions.
- Mature Extravagance unlike James.

James Addressed the financial weaknesses.
- Willingness to work and compromise with MPs and Political Nation to receive funds, which Charles refused in 1640 with the Long Parliament.
- Acknowledging and allowing his ministers to reform his finances, Book of Bounty and Rates, arguably increased Profit. Charles was only able to benefit from financial success due to James 1608 Impositions.

For the Absolutism to Constitutional Monarchy question I did:
There was a shift from Absolutism to Constitutional Monarchy via Change.
- Parliament were able to exclude catholic succession after failing in 1681.
- James or Charles could no longer manipulate elections via quo warranto as it was now illegal and imposed a New Triennial act.
- End of Ecclesiastical commission.
- Parliament oversee foreign Policy.

But There was aspects of absolutism of personal pursuit of own agenda as there was continuity as...
- King by 1702 was still able to choose his ministers.
- King was still able to control foreign policy/army.
- There was a more regulated absolutism, not constitutional monarchy.
Anyone here ready for Edexcel Paper 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Everyone I'm doing OCR alevel and my school does internal exams. Anyway to cut a long story short I'm redoing my internal exams due to other factors.
Anyway has anyone got any resources for writing the 20 mark essay and how to get 17/20 onwards? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending