The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ilikepirates
I normally hate english but I think this exam went okay surprisingly. I was so proud of my B1 answer! It was really sad and about a little girl who was in a hospital celebrating her birthday. I chose B for B2 and I think it kinda sucked. I didn't enjoy the A questions either.

What did everyone write for B1?

nooooooo! you're not meant to write a story! if the girl was in hospital you would have to describe the hospital, please tell me you didn't write a story? ot sounds like you curved into a story :frown:
Ilyas
nooooooo! you're not meant to write a story! if the girl was in hospital you would have to describe the hospital, please tell me you didn't write a story? ot sounds like you curved into a story :frown:

No I didn't! Promise :biggrin: I was describing how the hospital room is normally dull and depressing but it was colourful and joyous, it wasn't a story, it was a freeze frame. :biggrin:
Ilyas
ilyas from Norwich here :smile: you have to explain why he was late! not state. Just because its the 1st question does not mean you have to state to gain full marks. It clearly told you to "explain". Its a common trick used by examiners. Even my english teacher told me that the 1st questions can sometimes be a "what impressions" or "explain". And anyway... is there 10 pieces of evidence? No. So you have to explain to gain the full marks. DUH

There were people walking in the way of the car. He could not knock them over. He didn't have his foot pressed hard on the accelerator, meaning the car tyres did not move as fast as usual. This meant it would have taken a longer amount of time to cover the distance he wished to travel, resulting in him being late.

No, don't think so.

Explain. How can you explain? What else is there to explain apart from 'people were in the streets walking in the way.' etc?
Reply 23
Also, my teacher said that to get 10 marks you have to get 5 valid points backed up with evidence, is this true?
Account2010
There were people walking in the way of the car. He could not knock them over. He didn't have his foot pressed hard on the accelerator, meaning the car tyres did not move as fast as usual. This meant it would have taken a longer amount of time to cover the distance he wished to travel, resulting in him being late.

No, don't think so.

Explain. How can you explain? What else is there to explain apart from 'people were in the streets walking in the way.' etc?

he never is usually late >> hes usually plans ahead >>> since he usually plans ahead he probably never has been lost >> now he is LOST >> he can't adapt to the new situation >> cant find his way to the place

there's lots to explain
Reply 25
Ilyas
he never is usually late >> hes usually plans ahead >>> since he usually plans ahead he probably never has been lost >> now he is LOST >> he can't adapt to the new situation >> cant find his way to the place

there's lots to explain

Uh no, in the language paper they're not asking you to look for hidden meanings, only testing your reading skills.
Oh dear reading what people put earlier about question A1, think I may be in for an epic fail.....I even forgot to mention how he was lost!!! :s-smilie:
Reply 27
beanstalkgirl_24
Oh dear reading what people put earlier about question A1, think I may be in for an epic fail.....I even forgot to mention how he was lost!!! :s-smilie:

There isn't a checklist of stuff you HAVE to get, otherwise you forfeit all the points!:p:
If you missed something, you just won't get that mark. But if you can get enough logical, correct points, you can still get all the marks.
beanstalkgirl_24
Ha...I totally agree with you guys, as after reading the first question checked the front of the paper to make sure I had been given higher and not foundation by mistake! Quite enjoyed the comprehension, and was really surprised that you didn't have to cover all of the extract in A4 - only lines 54-83 or something close to this! was really surprised how the 'What is your impression of Martin' was an A4 question as well, as have always been taught that this is an 'easier demand' question.

I was really happy with the writing as used the senses a lot, and also used loads of metaphors and similes - my English teacher will be sooo proud! :smile: Loved B2 and did the one about 'Write about a time when you won something' as had done this, but with a slightly different title (The Gift - a previous exam question) in my coursework x

can we write in bullet points???????????????
Reply 29
moniasajid
can we write in bullet points???????????????

No, not unless the question says 'List'
hii, my coursework is a a* and speaking and listening is an An A. do you think there is any possibility in getting an A* overall, if i work hard on paper 2.. i literrally managed to do 5 lines for the description, because i ran out of time, and i had no chance of checking my work at the end, and i think ive got a C on this :'(
Reply 31
Well, at least it's over with now. I'm more worried about Paper 2.:s-smilie:
Does anyone have any advice for it? I'm trying to find an old markscheme or something online, but I'm having no luck. =/
Reply 32
what is the total marks for english including courseworks? because im trying to work out what i am going to get as my oral coursework is a c... and I think I didn't do well in the exam... :frown:
Lewis :D
Uh no, in the language paper they're not asking you to look for hidden meanings, only testing your reading skills.

ok, fine. If that's what you think then so be it. Because this revision guide sure doesnt say what you just said. The guy who wrote the WJEC revision guide answered the A1 question when it asked for impressions. He said that Mr kent portrayed a kind of military imagery. So there must be some explaination if they ask you to friggin 'explain'. It didnt ask you to state 10 reasons why he was late! it asked you to explain why he was late while looking closely at the text!

good night
WJEC English June 8th 2010. "Paul Bradly is a dog assasin."

Just saw that on facebook. Laughed so much. xD
It was rather easy :| I'm not saying I've done well, because I had to rush towards the end, plus I didn't finish A4 D:
But I had to double check the front of my exam paper to check I *was* doing higher, not foundation.

I just have a bad feeling paper 2 is going to be really hard :P
Reply 36
Account2010
WJEC English June 8th 2010. "Paul Bradly is a dog assasin."

Just saw that on facebook. Laughed so much. xD

Haha, I saw that too. Like!

I just have a bad feeling paper 2 is going to be really hard :P

I have the same feeling.:s-smilie: :frown:
Lewis :D
Also, my teacher said that to get 10 marks you have to get 5 valid points backed up with evidence, is this true?

oh, my teacher said you have to have ten points (with evidence) to get ten marks. You don't even have to explain them really. lol I dunno though.
Reply 38
woah. I really enjoyed the A question, did my B1 but ran out of time during my B2, it was 'The Wedding' but wasn't long enough. Oh well, I'm wondering if anyone could remember the author or the title of the book, I really want to know what happens haha. Thanks, Matt
Reply 39
Wulf chan
oh, my teacher said you have to have ten points (with evidence) to get ten marks. You don't even have to explain them really. lol I dunno though.

Ahh don't worry :smile: I did 10 just in case :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending