The Student Room Group

Thread for new 5th years

Scroll to see replies

Ecosse_14
Yeah but you said the essays are out of 20, so if you put in 20 points then that's you sorted when that's not how it works. Surely if you've been doing the course since January you would know this?

The work weve been doing is the actual coursework and then we are going to go into the tests in detail. A just thought that the 20 marks were for points and structure which was what my old teacher told us:frown: Sorry is Ive caused any bother
Reply 61
Rise_Against
Higher History seems really easy. The essays are for 20 marks each so you can wright as little as you want aslong as its got 20 points in it. :woo:

Hey everyone I'm new here. :smile: Just wanted to say I have just sat Higher history and am going to do the AH. The way the 20 mark essays are marked is:
6 marks for developed KU points
4 for structure (good intro and synthesised conclusion etc)
10 marks for analysis (basically how well you can argue your point).

Analysis is the bit people tend to have trouble with. Wanted to point out (as someone else did) it is not marked like Credit where you just had to write any random KU to get the marks.
Hey everyone I'm new here. :smile: Just wanted to say I have just sat Higher history and am going to do the AH. The way the 20 mark essays are marked is:

Analysis is the bit people tend to have trouble with. Wanted to point out (as someone else did) it is not marked like Credit where you just had to write any random KU to get the marks.

Hey thanks for that. I was just wondering how the 30 mark essay you do in class is worked out, like how many marks for ku and structure. Thanks
Reply 63
Rise_Against

Hey thanks for that. I was just wondering how the 30 mark essay you do in class is worked out, like how many marks for ku and structure. Thanks

As far as I remember your extended essay is marked by:

12 for KU
6 for structure
12 for argument

And you get a plan of up to 200 words to help you for it :smile: (but go over 200 and lose 10 marks :eek: )
Maths - :smile: It's not too bad. Did the SG at the end of 3rd Year, so because I've been doing Higher a year longer, we're doing circle at the moment and are going to do our Unit 2 NAB in September. So it's all good...mostly

English - :biggrin: Again, sat SG in S3, but instead of doing coursework in S4 we just had a prep year. So most of us (the minority being the S6s in our class, as we were the first year to sit early SGs so they haven't done anything to do with Higher before) are familiar with the course content, so we've just been doing close reading and writing reflective essays. It's good. :yep:

Geography - :smile: Alright. Mostly recovering SG stuff. I love my teacher for the Physical Core periods, had him for the past few years and he's a legend. :cool: Human Core is rather "meh", I prefer the actual work and topics, but haven't really bonded with the teacher, she's a bit scary...

French - :smile: Also alright. It's quite a small class, despite being a tri-level class of Int. 2s, Highers and AHs. We're just covering grammar at the moment, but we've done presentations (including singing songs!) and we've started to watch The Class so we can write an essay on it (well, I haven't, because I was in Italy the last week of term). The only intimidating thing is how our teacher teaches almost entirely in French, then she just stops at the end at ask if we understand. But I suppose it will pay off, as we're immersed in the language.

Music - :biggrin: :woo: :yep: I actually adore music, but I knew I would haha. Listening - haven't done any new concepts yet, we've just been recapping the periods we already know. Performing - completely into it already, we're having class performances at every oppurtunity, which I really enjoy. Inventing - amazing. We've done loads of sequence, Q&A etc. exercises, but most of the time it's just banter, and we have outside lessons on the art balcony, complete with picnics on Fridays (I'm in charge of going to Tesco on Thursday to buy the food, and everyone contributes 50p) :biggrin:
Just to point out you've got 4 days left to register for MySQA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BYMvVvMg0

SAM
Right , this is what mines like:

Maths: Not Bad so far, people say teacher is suppose to be rubbish buts she's kinda good.

English: Only been researching Ivan denesovych lol...

French: Good so far, but looks quite hard

Physics: Again, good so far ( my uncle is a physics teacher which helps ) :P

Geography:
Oh God... SO for standard grade my teacher was pregnant so we got a new one for a while, and he was AWESOME! But now, the old one is back.... and she is pretty pants. I had to sit for 10 minutes to her explaining why she should tell us how things are formed rather than making us work it out for ourselves! :angry:!
mysqa
Just to point out you've got 4 days left to register for MySQA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BYMvVvMg0

SAM

How could we forget? :eek3:
:smile:
Reply 68
_Stephieee
The Crucible - Arthur Miller

^ I'm not too keen if I'm honest, did Death of a Salesman for Int 2 and it was murder...

That's good, I really like it :smile:

I did Death of a Salesman in 4th year and I found it quite ok. I really enjoyed the end. :biggrin:
anyone_can_fly
How could we forget? :eek3:
:smile:

Just in case, there's 2days left - and check out the cute kitties!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3U0udLH974

SAM
mysqa
Just in case, there's 2days left - and check out the cute kitties!

SAM

Nothing like kittens to take your mind off the fact that you might have messed up Maths and Physics.
Reply 71

mysqa
and check out the cute kitties!

MySQA, who would have thought, spamming on TSR like that... :naughty:
Kittens can't be counted as Spamming surely? Is there no justice in the world?
1 more day to register for MySQA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CFPg1m_Umg

SAM
Registration for MySQA closes today at 5pm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDN9y2vTdUs
We had to do our Writing NAB in English, and only 3 people in my class actually passed! Even though I was one of them, I'm still terrified. Didn't realise it would be so hard to get to C level! Although our teacher never advised us on how to write them, we just peer marked each other before we handed them in officially. If my friend wasn't an absolute genius at editing I would've failed too...why is it so hard now?!
NaturalDisaster
why is it so hard now?!

Because Standard Grade English is, with respect, piss easy. :p:
TheUnbeliever

I can't agree with you until my results come in, in case I jinx them. If I'm too confident about something then it always fails. So I refuse to think about Standard Grade until my results come in. Ohhhh. I'm so nervous.
Reply 78
TheUnbeliever

I was surprised at this statement, until I remembered that our teacher openly told us at the beginning of SG that he'd be marking us to Higher's standards. A lot of people got moved down :frown:
Registration for MySQA is now closed. You must now ACTIVATE your account before 5pm on Friday 23rd July to get your results early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending