The Student Room Group

Thread for new 5th years

Scroll to see replies

NaturalDisaster
We had to do our Writing NAB in English, and only 3 people in my class actually passed! Even though I was one of them, I'm still terrified. Didn't realise it would be so hard to get to C level! Although our teacher never advised us on how to write them, we just peer marked each other before we handed them in officially. If my friend wasn't an absolute genius at editing I would've failed too...why is it so hard now?!

You always ******** your way through english nabs, add big words and fancy punctuation, say therefore a lot and taaa da, pass. (Worked for me at least lol)

Oh, and critical essays: say what you're going to say, say it, say what you've said, rope up any insight into what you said and make it sound fancy.

:woo:

TheUnbeliever

Innit :sexface:
In case any of you wonderfully keen people are interested, the exam timetable for next year is up. :awesome:
TheUnbeliever
In case any of you wonderfully keen people are interested, the exam timetable for next year is up. :awesome:

Thanks for posting this, once again mines are ****!

Advanced Higher Applied Maths - Friday 20th May
Advanced Higher History - Friday 20th May
Higher Modern Studies - Tuesday 30th June
Advanced Higher Biology - Wednesday 1st June

I'll probably have changed course by then anyway, when i have to resit 5 highers haha
Reply 83
TheUnbeliever

My god, they're quick aren't they.
ENNGUF
My god, they're quick aren't they.

My thoughts exactly. Woah. :lol:
Bipolar Dipole
You always ******** your way through english nabs, add big words and fancy punctuation, say therefore a lot and taaa da, pass. (Worked for me at least lol)

Oh, and critical essays: say what you're going to say, say it, say what you've said, rope up any insight into what you said and make it sound fancy.

:woo:

Innit :sexface:

Thanks. Mine was pretty much one extended metaphor after another, and abra kadabra, I passed. :lol: Plus I kind of tried to imitate Jane Austen's style...:p:
Reply 86
omg, they are quick with the timetable. mine's pretty much ****. Higher English (hopefully Higher) - FRIDAY 13th of May. I'm not superstitious but seriosuly, the date scares me. And then I've got NO exams until 30th of May. How stupid is that? And from 30th of May, I've got an exam everyday, which frankly, is amazing :|

They also posted the marking instructions for English, but there is no way I'm reading it: I don't want to ruin my holidays xd
What texts will everyone be doing? I've got a few 25 mark essays here
TheUnbeliever

:eek3: In standard grade my exams were spread over 6 weeks. This year they're all in 6 days! :eek3:
Reply 89
Bipolar Dipole
What texts will everyone be doing? I've got a few 25 mark essays here

I'm doing: for prose, 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' by Muriel Spark and for drama, 'A Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams. No idea about poetry, though.
Martyna156
I'm doing: for prose, 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' by Muriel Spark and for drama, 'A Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams. No idea about poetry, though.

Oooh, the school in Miss Jean Brodie is based on our school :smile:
Martyna156

I did streetcar too, and I think I've got a few essays. You can't go wrong with Streetcar btw, there's always a question for it.

I'll post anything up after results day.
You've got until Friday 5pm to activate your MySQA account! Many, many thousands of you have registered but haven't activated - do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2nLEhUcZ0

SAM
Can you delete this thread mods? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by Oncoming Storm
Can you delete this thread mods? Thanks. :smile:

Why on earth? If it's a personal information thing somewhere, report the posts or post in AAM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending