The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Critical thinking, general studies, media studies, film studies, and Physics are all up there, I think.
I'm surprised that so many people have said the Sciences and Maths.
Maybe because I study them (I do Maths, Chemistry and Biology A2 and did Further Maths and Physics AS) but I tend to look up to Historians and English Students.... Maybe it's because you respect those who have skills you don't?

Having said that, my top 5 would be:
Maths(inc. FM), Chemistry, English Lit, Physics and History
history, maths, sciences
Reply 63
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Further Maths.
Reply 64
ily_em
Interesting that a lot of people on this thread disagree with you... :p:

:shh:

I'll expand onto English lit, Law and...... Super-physics?? They can move up a rung.
bourney
Not at all true.

Biology was the hardest due to sheer volume of stuff that had to be learnt, and once into A2, concepts weren't always as easy to pick up.

Personally, I found A2 Biology a lot harder than A2 Physics, and that was including the beast that is PSA4, content wise, other subjects don't come close to the reams of biology.

This is exactly what I have found. Biology has a crazy amount of content, and as someone who generally gets by having a general understanding rather than memorizing facts, Biology this year has been a massive struggle.

Although I personally still wouldn't hold it in as high regard as the other sciences and Maths, it is certainly not the soft subject that many make it out to be.
Reply 66
Further maths, physics, chemistry, biology, foreign languages, history, English lit.

More than 5 but meh.
Reply 67
I think Languages, because your learning a skill that can be relevant or useful in any field you enter.
Maths, Physics, Further maths... because they show logical skills.
English, Economics, Geog, History... because they show analytical skills.
further maths is on a different level to any other a-level

so my top 6 would be
maths
further maths
additional further maths
phyics
bio
chem
+STEPS papers ...
Who cares about choosing respected A-levels or not as long as you know what you want to study at uni and do in life all courses should be equal. No such thing as respected or unrespected only more/less difficult imo.
In general, a traditional A-Level is something that the average person should be able to take, and get a reasonably good grade in. So rather than earning you respect for being able to do it, I'd say it earns you disrespect if you look as though you're unable to do it.

So apart from possibly Further Maths, I wouldn't really say any A-Level is especially 'respected'. You've got a few A-Levels which are considered as Mickey Mouse subjects which you might be laughed at for taking. But most of the time, having a particular A-Level qualification isn't usually going to be 'respected', they're just standard really. That's the way I see it anyway.
Reply 71
Physics
Chemistry
Maths
Geology
Geography
Reply 72
I disagree with people saying that Maths and Sciences alone are the most respected. If you do Maths and Science A levels, by themselves, you're showing that you can excel in one area of academic study, which is all very well, especially if you want to do something such as Medicine or Engineering. However, it is pretty much a narrow area, you aren't really taught in these subjects how to think critically and construct essays. I think an ideal applicant in general would have a mix between critical, written subjects as well as scientific/maths subjects, but of course it all depends on what degree you are aiming for.
Reply 73
Physics, Chemistry, Maths for the science people.
English lit and History for the artsy types.
Reply 74
I study Maths, Biology, English Lit and Philosophy...

and people respect me like, all the time....
Reply 75
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Further Maths.

Simple.
Media studies
Film studies
General studies
....and pogus studies are very respected :ahee:
Reply 77
i wouldn't say further maths is that respected as maths and f.maths are put as one a level.

i would say: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Economics
Reply 78
P.E, Media Studies, General Studies, Sociology, Photography
Reply 79
somehow, I wouldn't put history in there.

Latest