The Student Room Group

Architecture portfolio advice

I will be applying for the Architecture undergraduate degree for the 2011 entry. I would like some portfolio advice, what the uni's would like to see ect. I've heard it that the portfolio has to be creative, this is very vague, could someone please clarify what is meant by 'creative'?

Scroll to see replies

King-Panther
I will be applying for the Architecture undergraduate degree for the 2011 entry. I would like some portfolio advice, what the uni's would like to see ect. I've heard it that the portfolio has to be creative, this is very vague, could someone please clarify what is meant by 'creative'?

Ill be applying for then as well, and I think we'll have to show we can be creative through various media, rather than architectural related work. SO the wider range the better, and I think it's just there so you can show off your skills and show them your creative side.

Where you thinking of applying?
AA, Cambridge, UCL, Sheffield, Nottingham and Brookes, all listed by preference. How are you defining 'creative side'?
the Jack pot
Ill be applying for then as well, and I think we'll have to show we can be creative through various media, rather than architectural related work. SO the wider range the better, and I think it's just there so you can show off your skills and show them your creative side.

Where you thinking of applying?

Yourself?
Creative for an admissions portfolio means originality and inventiveness, in terms of methods of representation and choice of subject.

So expanding the first part, that means using a wide range of materials and types of marks and styles and methods of making images. Try to make an image that would excite them in the way it is made.
For the second part, we're talking about the image being something that has depth in terms of concept, aspiration, meaning or substance. Conveying something new.

Basically though, your best art work that you've done is your portfolio, don't read too much into the uni spec.
King-Panther
Yourself?

Agree with Gormless. Well I was going to apply to the likes of nottingham, sheff, bath etc but I don't think my summer exams went particularly well.
So I want a few backups just in case, but still unsure. At the moment probably:

-Nottingham
- Sheffield
- Sheffield Hallam
- Northumbria
- Unsure about fifth
the Jack pot
Agree with Gormless. Well I was going to apply to the likes of nottingham, sheff, bath etc but I don't think my summer exams went particularly well.
So I want a few backups just in case, but still unsure. At the moment probably:

-Nottingham
- Sheffield
- Sheffield Hallam
- Northumbria
- Unsure about fifth

O.k, do you know of any particular methods Gormless is talking about?
King-Panther
O.k, do you know of any particular methods Gormless is talking about?

I don't think there's any particular methods, but when creating pieces, make sure there is conceptual ideas behind a few of them, and delve into them as strongly or as subtle as you want to. Basically showing you have thought about them and are trying to show this in a certain technique or by whats actually in the piece.
Yeah, what the Jack pot said is a good way of putting it.

So, for example, I had a big drawing that was done in charcoal and was repeatedly rubbed down and worked over because it dealt with the blurriness and layered nature of memories.

But like I said King-Panther, if you're taking a fine art course right now then that work will make up the bulk of your portfolio, just put a lot of time into that.

Methods could be using oil paint with a brush, or palette knife, or pencil only using short broken marks, or chalk smudged a lot, or graphite on black paper, or collages, or card sculpture, or ice, or leaves. The list is endless, they want to see that you like to experiment. Don't overthink it.
GormlessWonder
Yeah, what the Jack pot said is a good way of putting it.

So, for example, I had a big drawing that was done in charcoal and was repeatedly rubbed down and worked over because it dealt with the blurriness and layered nature of memories.

But like I said King-Panther, if you're taking a fine art course right now then that work will make up the bulk of your portfolio, just put a lot of time into that.

Methods could be using oil paint with a brush, or palette knife, or pencil only using short broken marks, or chalk smudged a lot, or graphite on black paper, or collages, or card sculpture, or ice, or leaves. The list is endless, they want to see that you like to experiment. Don't overthink it.

Thank you!
Should we start making our portfolios now?
the Jack pot

When are you applying, for 2011 entry?
King-Panther
When are you applying, for 2011 entry?

Yep :smile:
the Jack pot

Focus on your A-levels and actually doing the work.
'Making' a portfolio just involves selecting the best pieces and being comfortable talking about it, so just keep a good overview of your stuff and talk it through with your teacher early next year.

Right now it's worth buying an A1 portfolio case and taking high quality photographs of all your art work so far, continue to take photos of your new work next year as well. So when you get a portfolio request you'll have all your best work together and it will all be on the computer as well, so it will be simple to just send it off.
GormlessWonder
Focus on your A-levels and actually doing the work.
'Making' a portfolio just involves selecting the best pieces and being comfortable talking about it, so just keep a good overview of your stuff and talk it through with your teacher early next year.

Right now it's worth buying an A1 portfolio case and taking high quality photographs of all your art work so far, continue to take photos of your new work next year as well. So when you get a portfolio request you'll have all your best work together and it will all be on the computer as well, so it will be simple to just send it off.

Thanks for the advice :smile: also should I invest in a proper SLR camera to do this, and also for uni, or will my standard compact digital camera do?
the Jack pot
Thanks for the advice :smile: also should I invest in a proper SLR camera to do this, and also for uni, or will my standard compact digital camera do?

The standard will do easily, you can do things like putting the background as black or white paper, then using loads of light (either lamps or outside in the sun). A tripod can help as well.

An SLR is a nice thing to have if you've got the cash but it's not essential and is a bit big for using it often I've found, makes me feel guilty because I don't use mine enough to justify it lol.
Ye agreed, I love using the ones in my art department at school, but I don't think I would use it enough till I went to Uni.
Reply 17
im going to be doing building surveying :biggrin:
Reply 18
Hey guys is it advisable to take your art sketch book for A-Level to an interview also? Just this shows my thought processes more clearly...
Original post by UnfoldMe
Hey guys is it advisable to take your art sketch book for A-Level to an interview also? Just this shows my thought processes more clearly...

Yes, definitely take it to the interview. The digital portfolios should be only final pieces though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending