The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Frankenstein. First one that popped into my head.
Enduring Love. McEwan.
24craigour
Hey guys, I was just looking for some recommendations for my advanced higher english dissertation. I was hoping to do something on the title of the nature of obsession and the differing ways in which people portay the theme of obsession
I've already picked two (Moby Dick and Perfume) but when i tried to do the Great Gatsby, the teacher stronglly advised me not to as we may (or may not) study it later in the year. So, any thoughts?

Lolita is the perfect example.

Google it. :smile:
Reply 4
Wuthering Heights is the first novel that I thought of. I agree with the other posters as well, all good choices.
Reply 5
yesioo
Frankenstein. First one that popped into my head.

ahh no, someone in my class is already doing this one. And i hate to copy anyone. Lolita .....looks disturbing. But I guess it'll be interesting. I'll look into it.
The Picture of Dorian Gray is kind of about obsession I suppose, isn't it? I mean, it's all about his obsession with staying young and living the way he wants to. First thing that came into my head, I'll try and think of others, seeing as that's a pretty short book.
Reply 7
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy features obsession quite heavily.

As does Waiting For Godot I suppose, because they really want him to come.
Reply 8
hiii

i did my A2 coursework on The Great Gatsby and Othello and A View from the Bridge (which I know are both plays but really good for the topic if you can use them)
my theme was the "destructive nature of desire" so similar
Wuthering Heights might be quite interesting to do.
You know, you could always do Lord of the Rings....:p:
Death of a Salesman and All My Sons by Arthur Miller. Both are about the fruitless quest for and obsession over the American Dream
lolita? i have to read that for school next year.
Reply 13
ahh no, someone in my class is already doing this one. And i hate to copy anyone. Lolita .....looks disturbing. But I guess it'll be interesting. I'll look into it.

oh no. Are you only aload to do novels? If not Macbeth would be perfect. Well anything by Shaky. Or Williams. Or Poe.

I also think Les Miserables? Haven't read that one. Currently on my bookshelf. :smile:
Reply 14
Misery by Stephen King :yep:
Lolita is a fairly obvious one, though I haven't read it. Obsessive love also turns up in Far From The Madding Crowd, if you fancy focusing on Boldwood's character. Is it just any sort of obsession, OP?
Reply 16
yesioo
oh no. Are you only aload to do novels? If not Macbeth would be perfect.

Dunno. But it seems everyone i know is doing novels so i presume so. If not i would have wanted to do A View From the Bridge.
So those that have captured my attention so far:
Wuthering Heights
Lolita

P.S Lol. Lord of the Rings
Reply 17
The Collector by John Fowles would be a good one (borrows elements from other texts like The Tempest, too. 'Intertexuality' is always a good word to bung into an essay if possible, I find).
24craigour
Dunno. But it seems everyone i know is doing novels so i presume so. If not i would have wanted to do A View From the Bridge.
So those that have captured my attention so far:
Wuthering Heights
Lolita

P.S Lol. Lord of the Rings

It really had to be said...I should do that for one of my essays one day...now that would be funny.
Reply 19
MarinaM
Lolita is a fairly obvious one, though I haven't read it. Obsessive love also turns up in Far From The Madding Crowd, if you fancy focusing on Boldwood's character. Is it just any sort of obsession, OP?

ah sorry should have made it clearer. I want to do three different types of obsession and talk about the differences. So i''m doing MOby Dick, a kind of revenge obsession, Perfume....a obsession I don't know how to classify so I was hoping to do something regarding love or a slightly different kind of obsession.

Latest

Trending

Trending