The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I avoid facebook, it annoys me for a variety of reasons.

Can't see the point in twitter.

I do use Last.Fm if that counts. But i'm quite content just blogging.
I do all 3, you need all of them in this day and age.
Reply 22
I use FB to keep contact with people that would otherwise be hard to stay in contact with, such as old school friends from primary and secondary school. Keeping hundreds of up-to-date mobile numbers or regularly meeting up with such a large number of people who are now spread out across the world would be impossible, so FB is very convenient. I do have family members, etc, on there, but only for the ease of going on FB and messaging 'Are you coming to visit this Saturday?' rather than making a phone call.

Other than that, I keep away from other social networks, and I severely restrict my FB profile from prying eyes, both with the inbuilt controls and by self-censoring. I honestly don't see the point in putting the vast majority of info that most people do on their profile, such as likes, hobbies, interests, etc. I don't think anybody really cares, and those that do will already know. Photos are kept to a minimum, are not massively personal and even then all but 1 is restricted to viewing by family members and close friends only.

I'm rather paranoid that one day FB would sell out, and all that personal info would end up in the hands of commercial businesses who would cross reference to find my address, and then bombard with mail outs about anything remotely connected to something I listed as a hobby or interest.
MrChem
Then only add your friends? Delete people you dont know and dont like. Its not rocket science.

My god you're onto something! I'll pick it back up when I go to Uni this yr most likely, I guess I just feel things like facebook are becoming more and more..dunno..samey? The only real use for them is telling folks about events, I prefer meeting up IRL otherwise, using ye olde mobile to plan such outings. Guess I need to re-wire my brain to be more accepting of social networking, since it is the future...
People who say no are just anti social. If you have a lot of friends, theres reason to be on it. It's like all your friends are in a big room and your just saying 'I'd rather just be on my own'.
Evomaka
Am I the only one going to say that 'this' forum and others like it are accountable as being social networking sites?

actually I guess so...I do use quite a few forums...
Reply 26
logical ad
I'm rather paranoid that one day FB would sell out, and all that personal info would end up in the hands of commercial businesses who would cross reference to find my address, and then bombard with mail outs about anything remotely connected to something I listed as a hobby or interest.

People can just buy the electoral register and use that. I wouldnt worry about facebook, the only info it holds is the info you give it. Why some people post their home numbers and addresses on there then complain about lack of privacy is beyond me.
Reply 27
Anyone else notice that people who don't have facebook are usually the socially challenged ones?
Reply 28
joey11223
My god you're onto something! I'll pick it back up when I go to Uni this yr most likely, I guess I just feel things like facebook are becoming more and more..dunno..samey? The only real use for them is telling folks about events, I prefer meeting up IRL otherwise, using ye olde mobile to plan such outings. Guess I need to re-wire my brain to be more accepting of social networking, since it is the future...

Sarcasm noted.
Reply 29
edd360
Anyone else notice that people who don't have facebook are usually the socially challenged ones?

That's a very nice generalisation. Have a gold star!
edd360

Yeah tbh that has got to it as well. I've always preferred the company of a few close friends and do a lot of hobbies alone or bring along one other who shares the interest. It's just who I am sort of thing, I could organise a group of us to go out tomorrow, it's just partying isn't my thing for what ever reason, you get introverts and extroverts, I bounce between erratically at times.

Though somehow this has reminded me, I need to sort a trip to Alton Towers or Thorpe Park, which would you go to? I've never been to Thorpe, been to Alton quite a few times...but it's good obviously.
MrChem
Sarcasm noted.

honestly mate apart from the first bit before the ! It was pretty serious, the whole re-wiring thing, starting it fresh, folks at Uni will be using it as a main form of contact, so I'll have to get back into it. Probably working for a yr is one reason I used it less, the folks I still see I can just contact via other means.
Reply 32
Facebook can be a really useful tool for keeping in touch with people you haven't seen in ages - my mum joined recently and has been having loads of fun reconnecting with people she lost touch with years ago! From this standpoint I think it's brilliant, as long as you don't let it overtake your real life and then it's just sad :smile:
Reply 33
...The irony of course being that a lot of the people on this forum who complain about sites like facebook probably spend more time on TSR than most regular FB users do on Facebook!
Reply 34
I wish I could avoid FB, it's damn annoying
Reply 35
Malik388
That's a very nice generalisation. Have a gold star!

Oh here we go...:rolleyes:

Whether you like it or not it is true, and naive to suggest otherwise. And before you have a go at me further, let me just say that I think it is stupid how many people use facebook and the reasons for it. I don't have to agree with it or like it to see that's it's true.
Reply 36
edd360
Oh here we go...:rolleyes:

Whether you like it or not it is true, and naive to suggest otherwise. And before you have a go at me further, let me just say that I think it is stupid how many people use facebook and the reasons for it. I don't have to agree with it or like it to see that's it's true.

So everyone that doesn't have Facebook is unsociable?

Y'know, there are other ways of communicating with others.
Reply 37
I jealous.

:frown:
Reply 38
Malik388
So everyone that doesn't have Facebook is unsociable?

Y'know, there are other ways of communicating with others.

Did I say that? No I didn't. I said they tend to. Which, from personal experience is true, and other people who aren't unsociable will agree. It's usually the unsociable one's who disagree anyway, not surprisingly. Learn to read. And my post didn't even imply people who use facebook only use facebook. Not having facebook these days is like not having a mobile phone, which surely you must agree with, most people do have, and the ones who don't tend to be very unsociable.
Reply 39
edd360
Did I say that? No I didn't. I said they tend to. Which, from personal experience is true, and other people who aren't unsociable will agree. It's usually the unsociable one's who disagree anyway, not surprisingly. Learn to read, and stop picking arguments with me which you won't win, it's getting rather annoying.

"Anyone else notice that people who don't have facebook are usually the socially challenged ones?"

This suggests that you think that the majority of people that are 'socially challenged' don't have Facebook.
Now, you don't consider that a crass generalisation?

You can't use your personal experience and amplify it so that it represents the public. Just because the unsociable people that you know don't have Facebook does not mean that it applies to everyone. Correct?

Latest

Trending

Trending