The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Is Founders Hall really that bad

Scroll to see replies

Up on the fifth floor, where the less messy postgrads live I assume. But no-one wants to trek all the way up there for a shower :P
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Alexdurrant7
Where on earth can showers be hiding? Behind unlabeled doors?

I guess that was a sarcastic remark, however it's quite true. There are some unlabelled doors which conceal staircases, old storerooms and showers.

A good example of a shower nobody uses is on 1st floor east wing. Basically you come in at reception on the ground floor, take a left down the long corridor until you come to the large staircase on your right and take it up one floor. When you hit the top go left through the double doors and the shower room is one of the first doors on your right. I think it is labelled now and intended for staff, but it's the most pleasant shower I've used in Founders - never freezing or filthy, which is more than can be said for the showers on the 2nd floor. One weakness of using that shower is that the 1st floor is a working floor with offices, and one day I went down there in my towel the floor was full of people being shown around on an open day. :facepalm2:
Sweyn Forkbeard
I guess that was a sarcastic remark, however it's quite true. There are some unlabelled doors which conceal staircases, old storerooms and showers.

A good example of a shower nobody uses is on 1st floor east wing. Basically you come in at reception on the ground floor, take a left down the long corridor until you come to the large staircase on your right and take it up one floor. When you hit the top go left through the double doors and the shower room is one of the first doors on your right. I think it is labelled now and intended for staff, but it's the most pleasant shower I've used in Founders - never freezing or filthy, which is more than can be said for the showers on the 2nd floor. One weakness of using that shower is that the 1st floor is a working floor with offices, and one day I went down there in my towel the floor was full of people being shown around on an open day. :facepalm2:

Just to clarify, I wasn't being sarcastic - it was a genuine question; sorry if it came across that way :p:

These unlabeled doors, do they look like bedroom doors, or are they literally just random doors without numbers or anything? Are they generally away from the bedroom areas or kinda hidden amongst the doors on those corridors?
I loved Founders in my first year and I had a shared room, as well (wasn't really that fond of my room mate :no:)!
Tbh, I was dreading the use of shared showers/toilets but after a while you get used to it. A lot of people think you have to wait ages for the showers/toilets, but its not true. Apart from the first day (because everyone wanted a shower to look their best :p:) I never had to wait for a shower. As the year goes on, a lot of people give up on the idea of having a shower first thing in the morning, so they're always free.
There are always corridor gatherings (on the girls floor, this was usually to have lunch/dinner together, whereas on the boys floor it was usually after a nightout when people usually ordered out :mmm:). If you become friendly with the security guards, they are actually quite nice to you and let you get away with things (I brought lots of people from different halls back to Founders, even though they aren't allowed after 11pm and they didn't say anything).
Also, Founders has wireless internet (the connections is really good!) so you can sit with your laptop in the corridor/in someone else's room, etc (a few of my guy friends used to take their laptop in the bath with them :sigh:).
Also, an upside if you decide not to go to the summerball is that you get very good seats if your room overlooks one of the quads. :mmm: Most of my friends didn't go to the summerball, but we ended up having a massive gathering in a friend's room instead and got to watch all of the acts for free. :biggrin: A few of my friends went up to the roof to watch the summerball instead!
Yes it REALLY is that bad. The showers are rank, the shared pantrys are absolutely vile i found a cluster of hairs in the fridge when i was there )nice) ..being in the founders building (especially at the wkends) feels like being in a mental instituition. you could here a pin drop around campus. i ONce used to stand on my windosill on on my tippy toes trying to see if i could see any light over trees ,but no i couldnt . its so boring there, and anyone who tells u its 'near london' ARE LYING.ITS NOT. its in 'EGHAM' a town full of blue rinses, another universe compared to london.
Sweyn Forkbeard

no. even the showers on the 5th floor are MANK., i went up there once and nearly threw up at the state of the shower. and dont even get me started on the toilets., they were like a sewrage tank, someone obvioulsy took the instructions off how to flush the toilet/.
toastehmonstah
Founder's isn't as bad as most people make it out to be, as long as you don't mind sharing a shower block and loos you'll be fine. Also the building itself is pretty spectacular, where else would you get to have this as your garden? :P

that picture is clearly stretched.
bansheeee*
that picture is clearly stretched.

No, that's what panoramic photos look like. And I find your negative attitude towards Founders highly inaccurate.
toastehmonstah
No, that's what panoramic photos look like. And I find your negative attitude towards Founders highly inaccurate.

Not necessarily inaccurate. It's just another perspective - if you had a rubbish time in Founders you'd probably be slagging it off as well.
toastehmonstah

i lived there for a year, it doesn't look like that/
Sweyn Forkbeard
Not necessarily inaccurate. It's just another perspective - if you had a rubbish time in Founders you'd probably be slagging it off as well.

I had a good time, just the place itself is absolutely horrific.
Reply 31
bansheeee*

I've never lived in Founders and I can assure you, that is a photo of the South quad. It looks funny because it's not a normal photo - it's a 180degree panoramic view so you can see both the East and West sides at the same time.
bansheeee*

I lived there for a year, it does look like that.
The perspective looks all weird (the quad looks more like a triangle in the pic) but that's only because it's a panoramic photo.
Everyone, thanks for all the info, I'm not so worried now!
Reply 35
bansheeee*
Yes it REALLY is that bad. The showers are rank, the shared pantrys are absolutely vile i found a cluster of hairs in the fridge when i was there )nice) ..being in the founders building (especially at the wkends) feels like being in a mental instituition. you could here a pin drop around campus. i ONce used to stand on my windosill on on my tippy toes trying to see if i could see any light over trees ,but no i couldnt . its so boring there, and anyone who tells u its 'near london' ARE LYING.ITS NOT. its in 'EGHAM' a town full of blue rinses, another universe compared to london.

Nice to see you've moved on Bansheee...still posting on RH threads after all this time
Reply 36
Hi guys, just a quick query about shared rooms in founders, what happens there, is there any way of getting a contact for the the person you are sharing with? are most people happy with their room mate? any knowledge would be of great comfort! thanks! :smile: x
Reply 37
livij
Hi guys, just a quick query about shared rooms in founders, what happens there, is there any way of getting a contact for the the person you are sharing with? are most people happy with their room mate? any knowledge would be of great comfort! thanks! :smile: x

I doubt the uni would give your their details. so unless your roomate happen to post on TSR or somewhere that they are the other person in that room I guess you'll have to wait till the day
Reply 38
Ok thanks, I'm sure it will be fine though V. excited :smile: X
Reply 39
livij

If your room mate is unbearable, you can move rooms. I know two cases of this happening, one was two friends from home before one realised that the people at uni were a higher calibre than his roomate, and he wasn't too keen on his room mate any more. There were a few big arguments from what I gather. Another person, one of my friends had a room mate and they didn't really talk at all. he happened to make friends with the first guy, so once it was organised that the room mate was moving out, they then moved into the vacant place.

My room mate was generally fine...although he had a very liberal open door policy. I.E. I go out, come back find the door unlocked and him not in, Couple of hours later he comes back from Tesco. Its a wonder nothing was stolen from the room. There were also a few communication difficulties as he was an international student. Other people I know get on great with their room mates. It's pot luck I guess, but not the end of the world if it is unbearable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending