The Student Room Group

Arabic car plates?

I live in London and I often see in very rich areas sports cars with arabic number plates. Surely they shouldn't be allowed in a country where the main language is English?

Imagine if you needed to report one to the police: "yeah... the plate says squiggle squiggle squiggle"?

This isn't a "bash Islam" thread, I'm just curious as it poses a blatant problem when it comes to the police and reporting cars.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Troll fail
Reply 2
I'm not trolling
Reply 3
joey!
I live in London and I often see in very rich areas sports cars with arabic number plates. Surely they shouldn't be allowed in a country where the main language is English?

Imagine if you needed to report one to the police: "yeah... the plate says squiggle squiggle squiggle"?

This isn't a "bash Islam" thread, I'm just curious as it poses a blatant problem when it comes to the police and reporting cars.

:rofl:

that is a pickle :hmmmm2:
Reply 4
The cars that have these Arabic plates are be-au-ti-ful :wink:
Reply 5
I know the plates have numbers, but they are extremely small and hard to read from a distance.
Reply 6
They're probably billionaires so I guess they don't really care about the rules. I imagine it isn't legal. Like the other day when the new owner of Harrods' £1.3 million car got clamped for illegal parking outside the store - when you're worth £5 billion, whatever fine you're gonna get is inconsequential!
Reply 7
joey!

Chelsea area where all the embassies are? These are diplomatic vehicles for countries from where the native peoples speak arabic...
If it's in the UK for less than a year then the car doesn't have to be registered in the UK. The reason you'll see mainly Arabic ones in London is because a lot of wealthy Arabs bring their very expensive cars over for a few months when they come to London and then ship them back home again with them when they return. You might see it with American cars as well.
I see so many rich arabs driving around in central london in the hottest supercars, what they do is when they're making their trip to the UK they fly over a fleet of their cars aswell so that's why they have the arab number plates. Have always wondered how they get them registered to drive on UK roads, but the police will hardly need plate identification of bright yellow lamborghinis :laugh:
Reply 10
marcusfox
Chelsea area where all the embassies are? These are diplomatic vehicles...

I highly doubt sports cars such as Ferraris and Lamborghini are diplomatic cars. Most diplomatic vehicles are town cars e.g. Crown Vic (not as popular in England as the US, but generally they tend to be low-key vehicles).
All policemen are versed in every language imaginable, even imaginary ones. Why do you think no ones ever raised a legitimate issue about it?
Reply 12
joey!
I highly doubt sports cars such as Ferraris and Lamborghini are diplomatic cars. Most diplomatic vehicles are town cars e.g. Crown Vic (not as popular in England as the US, but generally they tend to be low-key vehicles).

They're usually Mercedes and BMWs, sometimes even VW Polos from what I've seen. They're registered using UK plates too, but a special format [000 A 000] with the first 3 digits being the country the car is representing and the letter being the type of diplomatic use, so no Arabic script there either.
Tefhel
They're probably billionaires so I guess they don't really care about the rules. I imagine it isn't legal. Like the other day when the new owner of Harrods' £1.3 million car got clamped for illegal parking outside the store - when you're worth £5 billion, whatever fine you're gonna get is inconsequential!

Which is why fines should be proportionate to the ability to pay. Put all the money you'd get from rich dickheads towards improving crap schools or something. I mean it happens sometimes, but not often enough.
Reply 14
concubine
Which is why fines should be proportionate to the ability to pay. Put all the money you'd get from rich dickheads towards improving crap schools or something. I mean it happens sometimes, but not often enough.

:yes:
concubine

Good word sir.
There are loads of videos of spotted super cars on Youtube and a whole thread of it on PistonHeads. Most of them being Bugatti Veyrons, Lamborghinis etc, all with Arabic plates parked up and driving around Harrods. I read that that they come over for a while with their cars, then go back home just before Ramadan starts.

They don't seem to have plates on the front either, which would come in handy :wink: although they would hardly be difficult to track down!
:coma:
Reply 17
Teh User
They're usually Mercedes and BMWs, sometimes even VW Polos from what I've seen. They're registered using UK plates too, but a special format [000 A 000] with the first 3 digits being the country the car is representing and the letter being the type of diplomatic use, so no Arabic script there either.

Bloody hell, imagine working your way up to be a diplomat and all they give you to drive around foreign cities looking awesome and influential is a poxy little Polo.
I saw a baby blue lamborghini murc the other day in sloane street, that had arabic plates..

If you needed to report to the police you could probably just give the description of the cars, because the cars they bring here are outrageous
Reply 19
these muslims coming to our country and imposing their car registration plates on us! how very dare they (was this the response you were looking for OP?)

Latest

Trending

Trending