The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. One of my students got 599 out of 600 and he didn't get a letter.
Reply 2
Nada. I'd imagine most schools with a decent maths department each have a bunch of students getting 590+.
You might get one from your mum....
Kreuzuerk
Nada. I'd imagine most schools with a decent maths department each have a bunch of students getting 590+.

You need to recalibrate your imagination then.
PM me your address, I'll send you a nice letter :h:
Reply 6
TommyWannabe
You might get one from your mum....

haha :p:
I'm not sure if they still do it, but I'm sure if you were in the top whatever% when I was at school, then you got a letter. Not 100% sure if they still do that now. I'm pretty sure that was at GCSE too.
I don't think so :unsure:
Reply 9
Mr M
You need to recalibrate your imagination then.

Really? I attended an averagely decent Grammar and there were at least 6 students with 590+. I didn't think we were that outstanding.
Reply 10
No, the heads of the exams boards come over to your house for a photo shoot and handshakes.

:facepalm:
Kreuzuerk
Really? I attended a averagely decent Grammar and there were at least 8 students with 590+. I didn't think we were that outstanding.

There are twenty times as many state maintained secondary schools as grammar schools in England and Wales. Your experience is not typical.
Kreuzuerk
Really? I attended an averagely decent Grammar and there were at least 6 students with 590+. I didn't think we were that outstanding.

Unfortunately in the real world 'averagely decent Grammar' does NOT equal 'most schools'.

Most Grammar schools will produce a number of kids getting high end marks. Most schools will not.
Reply 13
yah! the queen personally writes one to you.
Reply 14
Mr M
There are twenty times as many state maintained secondary schools as grammar schools in England and Wales. Your experience is not typical.

Clearly my experience is not typical but the number of Grammar schools is over a hundred and combined with private schools, that would put the number of students obtaining 590+ well into the hundreds, and as such way too many to be sending letters of achievement to everyone of them.
Reply 15
I'd guess the number of students getting 1180+ in M+FM would still be non-trivial (perhaps in the hundreds)
Kreuzuerk
Clearly my experience is not typical but the number of Grammar schools is over a hundred and combined with private schools, that would put the number of students obtaining 590+ well into the hundreds, and as such way too many to be sending letters of achievement to everyone of them.

I fear you may be overestimating based on your personal experience but have no figures with which to back up my hunch. You are quite right in pointing out that the number would be too great to reward with individual letters.
Reply 17
Mr M
I fear you may be overestimating based on your personal experience but have no figures with which to back up my hunch. You are quite right in pointing out that the number would be too great to reward with individual letters.

If just 50% of new Oxbridge undergrads and 25% of UCL/Warwick/Imperial scored over 590, it'd put the total way into the hundreds. Certainly though, some schools clearly produce the majority and others chip in, so-to-speak.
SimonM
I'd guess the number of students getting 1180+ in M+FM would still be non-trivial (perhaps in the hundreds)

Probably not. Most students capable of achieving that would have secured a Cambridge offer but Cambridge only has 240 (is that right?) places. I suppose it is plausible that 100 applicants would have 1180+ but it is probably a low three figure number if indeed it is in three figures at all.
Reply 19
Mr M
Probably not. Most students capable of achieving that would have secured a Cambridge offer but Cambridge only has 240 (is that right?) places. I suppose it is plausible that 100 applicants would have 1180+ but it is probably a low three figure number if indeed it is in three figures at all.

Nonsense. The kind of people who get high UMS marks in A level maths are definitely not just Cambridge mathematicians. They are also people who are talented all rounders taking mathematics (think medics, scientists, engineers, and similar).

Latest