The Student Room Group

Failing a year at university

Hello there.

I have just failed a year at university. Since around Decemeber I became quit depressed and upset with life. My sleeping patterns were and still are all over the place. I still sleep around 8 hours but this can be at any point in the night or day. For example since Friday I have had a full sleep from 1am, 8am, 3pm and 6pm.

People on my course seemed very confident about placements, future careers and life after University. I had not even considered these things and I am completely unsure where I am going in life.

This lead to a loss in confidence and attendance and punctuation towards my course. (I did still complete all assessments). Looking back at this the best thing to do would have been for me to withdraw from my studies for the year and returned this coming year. But when you are depressed and stressed you do not think clearly .

Then it came to exams. Throughout all my exams I was very uneasy and would say I suffered from mild panic attacks at the very least which can become problematic with my asthma.

Up until this point I hadn't reported any of these feelings and emotions to anyone as talking to people about these things is very difficault especially when you are not at all yourself.

I have a doctors appointment booked for tommorrow to finally discuss my stress/ depression along with my problematic sleeping patterns and test anxiety.

I know I will be recieving treatment and medication as what other options do I have. Would a letter written from my GP change the decison of the board of examiners to allow me to repeat the year?

I do not wish to change course or University and will be seeking regular counselling and advice from the university services pending on my return.

All comments are welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
metallica nutter
suck it up...life is hard for everyone

You're back...
Reply 2
metallica nutter
suck it up...life is hard for everyone

Some of us have it harder than others, was that really a necessary comment? :rolleyes:
Reply 3
catfacemoss
Hello there.

I have just failed a year at university. Since around Decemeber I became quit depressed and upset with life. My sleeping patterns were and still are all over the place. I still sleep around 8 hours but this can be at any point in the night or day. For example since Friday I have had a full sleep from 1am, 8am, 3pm and 6pm.

People on my course seemed very confident about placements, future careers and life after University. I had not even considered these things and I am completely unsure where I am going in life.

This lead to a loss in confidence and attendance and punctuation towards my course. (I did still complete all assessments). Looking back at this the best thing to do would have been for me to withdraw from my studies for the year and returned this coming year. But when you are depressed and stressed you do not think clearly .

Then it came to exams. Throughout all my exams I was very uneasy and would say I suffered from mild panic attacks at the very least which can become problematic with my asthma.

Up until this point I hadn't reported any of these feelings and emotions to anyone as talking to people about these things is very difficault especially when you are not at all yourself.

I have a doctors appointment booked for tommorrow to finally discuss my stress/ depression along with my problematic sleeping patterns and test anxiety.

I know I will be recieving treatment and medication as what other options do I have. Would a letter written from my GP change the decison of the board of examiners to allow me to repeat the year?

I do not wish to change course or University and will be seeking regular counselling and advice from the university services pending on my return.

All comments are welcome

I don't have much knowledge of the way repeating years works but I'd imagine with a GP's note that you'd get some special consideration :confused:

Hope you start to feel better! My post might not have been a massive help but I hope your ok! :smile:
Reply 4
The problem you're likely to have is that it probably says someone very clearly in your handbook that if you want to have special consideration made you need to tell them before the exams (or certainly results) and not after. The GP can attest to your mental health now, but he can't say that you were unwell a few months ago because he doesn't know. Have you discussed any of this with your pastoral tutor yet.
Reply 5
my sister developed depression over her first year at uni too, she dint fail though so im not sure what i can say there.

But going to the doctor is the right thing to do because if you get a note to give to your uni they can help.

My sister then got extra time in exams, extentions and they let her sit in a different room for her exams aswell because her seeing other people writing so much on their papers made her panic.

The uni will really do all they can to help you. Just get that all important note!
lil lime
my sister developed depression over her first year at uni too, she dint fail though so im not sure what i can say there.

But going to the doctor is the right thing to do because if you get a note to give to your uni they can help.

My sister then got extra time in exams, extentions and they let her sit in a different room for her exams aswell because her seeing other people writing so much on their papers made her panic.

The uni will really do all they can to help you. Just get that all important note!

:toofunny: unbelievable
catfacemoss
Hello there.

All comments are welcome

grow a pair of balls and deal with it

don't make up stories so that you can repeat a year because you were too lazy to do it the first time round
Reply 8
metallica nutter

excuse you?
Some people in this thread are so ignorant and stupid. Depression is an illness. Just like diabetes or arthritis or any other illness that affects someone's life. If that therefore affects their studies then they should ask for help. As simple as that.
metallica nutter

You are the nutter.
deathbeforeimmortality
You are the nutter.

are you going to do gem after your degree :ahee:
Reply 12
Thanks for the comments guys.

Sidenote: I am a second year student. Things might be easier if I was a fresher. Although passing 1st shows im capable doesnt it...

Not making the decision to withdraw my studies/ postpone them was a big mistake. Not seeking medical advice until now is also a big mistake. But surely the dip in attendance and marks reflects on something? The first few months I had a good attendance and had completed 2/3 of a module at almost a 1st class level.
Reply 13
Maybe for the sake of your mental health a break and a fresh start would be wise and not such a bad thing. If you havn't coped this year whats going to change next year if you just carry on?

Talk to your uni, take a break, get some councelling and medicine and return when you're fully recovered and able to cope. Try to not think of it as a terrible thing. Just a much needed healing period in your life.
metallica nutter
are you going to do gem after your degree :ahee:

You can't exactly judge a situation you can't or ever not understand.
Reply 15
Cheers for the obvious comment maskofsanity. I know what a student sleeping pattern is like, my sleeping pattern is not the same, it has changed drastically. Sleeping for 8 hours at any point in a 24 hour period consitantly differant every night is not normal.

Its the fact that my asthma makes my panic attacks/anxiety worse. I never suffer with my asthma on a regular basis anymore, it is only brought on in test situations.
Are you at LSE?
Reply 17
shinygirl
Maybe for the sake of your mental health a break and a fresh start would be wise and not such a bad thing. If you havn't coped this year whats going to change next year if you just carry on?

Talk to your uni, take a break, get some councelling and medicine and return when you're fully recovered and able to cope. Try to not think of it as a terrible thing. Just a much needed healing period in your life.

I agree with this, talk to your uni about treating this as a 'gap year' and returning in 2011. Although you cannot use doctor's notes retrospectively to make up for this year's failings, you may be able to use it to negotiate a year's break with your uni. You don't want to fail/do badly twice because you haven't given yourself enough time to recuperate.
catfacemoss
Thanks for the comments guys.

Sidenote: I am a second year student. Things might be easier if I was a fresher. Although passing 1st shows im capable doesnt it...

Not making the decision to withdraw my studies/ postpone them was a big mistake. Not seeking medical advice until now is also a big mistake. But surely the dip in attendance and marks reflects on something? The first few months I had a good attendance and had completed 2/3 of a module at almost a 1st class level.

how many modules did you fail?
can you not repeat them in August like most people do?
Reply 19
I understand what your saying but 2 and a half months is enough time for me. I just want to wipe the slate clean and re-do my year and in the meantine sort out my problems. Taking an entire year out is far to long for me.

cheers anyhow.

Latest

Trending

Trending