The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2011 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
daniajz
What won't help you much? stating on your cv something that you havent done yet just to submit it early?

Thnx

Because you haven't developed any skills from it yet, I guess.
Reply 581
Swayum
Because you haven't developed any skills from it yet, I guess.

But you would have when you get to the interview stages. So is it bad to submit your cv with sth that you havent done yet to gain the advantage of being early?

So does it mean waiting to mid-late Sep to apply when one has done everything on the cv?
Reply 582
Just submitted my UBS app. I'm assuming the invitation to sit the numerical will follow soon. Is there a verbal test as well?
Reply 583
daniajz
But you would have when you get to the interview stages. So is it bad to submit your cv with sth that you havent done yet to gain the advantage of being early?

Yes. The point of a CV is to show what you have LEARNED. Not what you will learn. Just read the above posts.
Reply 584
no verbal. there's a logical for ubs
Reply 585
What is the procedure for UBS upon successful completion of the tests?
Milch
Thanks. Numerical followed by logic yeah? Did you pass them both?

Yep.

Think so, just says my app is under consideration now like BarCap.

You heard back yet wrt the tests?

Written my CL for RBS, gonna do the comp Qs tonight.
quick question:

when a competency question for a bank, say RBS, asks you something like "why do you believe this is the right vacation programme for you?"

is it ok, in addition to detailing all the wonderful aspects of the bank, to mention something along the lines of "the summer programme will also put in me position to be considered for the full-time graduate scheme with RBS, which I believe is an excellent place to start one's career blah blah...."

i want to let them know that i'm not just applying there to gain experience and then leave them for another bank for full-time recruiting, but perhaps it just isn't an appropriate thing to say at this stage? I really have no idea what these HR bastards want to hear.
Reply 588
LSEfreak
For UBS S&T do you have to specify on the cover letter and interview exactly whether you want to do sales or trading? do you maths have to be splendid for a positon on S&T?

Yeah, you also have to be grammatically splendid.
Reply 589
Swayum
I talked to a BarCap HR in Sales for you yesterday - she didn't seem very keen on mentioning stuff on your CV that you're GOING to do in the future, but said that you can as long as you make it very clear it's in the future. She also said it won't help you much.

Cool, thanks for that. I'm gonna wait to finish at the PE (21st of September) and then submit all my apps.
Reply 590
Dan345
hey guys, i have no clue as to when i should submit my apps. currently, i want to spend a bit more time on my numericals and verbals tests, as im rusty on those, and may practise on interview skills. if i submit them on the 26 of sep, is that to late?

Practicing interviews before actually submitting your app..?
Reply 591
Do RBS ask for AAA again this year?
Ali M
Do RBS ask for AAA again this year?

no. BBB aka 300 ucas points this year for most programmes
AAA is a bit ridiculous to be fair.
Reply 594
yoyo462001
AAA is a bit ridiculous to be fair.

Why would you say AAA is ridiculous? Surely its like a standard thing for most students at top uni's ( Russell Group) to have grade wise AAA+ etc!
ebam_uk
Why would you say AAA is ridiculous? Surely its like a standard thing for most students at top uni's ( Russell Group) to have grade wise AAA+ etc!

Yeah but for RBS to be asking for that. It's not like they're GS or anything. Just seems like they over rate themselves with AAA. The fact they've changed it to BBB probably shows AAA was too high.
I cant believe it I just went to take the test for Barcap and a new browser opened saying there was no assesment for me. When I went back to Barcap it said i completed online test.
Reply 597
THEKID1991
I cant believe it I just went to take the test for Barcap and a new browser opened saying there was no assesment for me. When I went back to Barcap it said i completed online test.

Sucks to be you
THEKID1991

same thing happened to me. email technical support and they will reset the exam for you.
Swayum
A lot of people there were morons and extremely ignorant - I couldn't stand that girl doing Classics, the one who asked a question about if she should also write her modules on her CV

I've always read that you shouldn't do this however the placements woman at my uni tells us to write down all the modules in our CV, even the ones in our second year which we haven't done yet and make our CV 2 pages long. Doesn't strike me as the right thing to do however she has advised many people before and people have landed roles in BBs (BO MO and FO) and other good places :s: so I'm just wondering whether those people followed her advice or ignored it and went ahead and produced a 1 page CV?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending