The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2011 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Elipz
I wouldn't be. They have run at least 3 of these workshops so far, inviting around 80 people, so loads will have it on their CV. And tbh, its repeating the same basic stuff everytime, so you don't pick up anything either.

Being's you have been before, what do you actually do there?
Reply 101
c12andn15

The easiest trading game possible, invest all of your money in the obvious and you will win.

I was on the spring week but I'm aware that some of the stuff is the same.
Reply 102
c12andn15

Milch
The easiest trading game possible, invest all of your money in the obvious and you will win.

I was on the spring week but I'm aware that some of the stuff is the same.

Yeah pretty much that. They tell you what a bank is, for those that don't know, and tell you a little about the business areas of the bank.

A networking session + networking lunch. And a panel of recent interns who have joined.

Nothing special, and by no means a guarantee of an interview, given the amount of students who have been on it.

Oh, and Swayum, did you not convert your RBS SW?
Elipz
Oh, and Swayum, did you not convert your RBS SW?

I don't think he did - I've seen him posting to attend an event at Merill Lynch - why bother if you have an offer? So he must have turned them down. Just as well considering RBS is selling parts off!
Reply 104
He may also feel he stands a better chance in another Bank.
Reply 105
What i'm trying to decide is when to apply..

With BarCap, UBS, GS and Nomura all open.. I feel like i'm putting myself at a huge disadvantage by not applying now. The thing is, I won't be finishing my internship for another 4 weeks and then I'm going to a PE firm for a few weeks and I really feel like I should wait for these finish so I can add them to my C.V. before applying.. but that would put me into the final week of September.. so I really can't decide on what to do..
Reply 106
Ali M

With BarCap, UBS, GS and Nomura all open.. I feel like i'm putting myself at a huge disadvantage by not applying now. The thing is, I won't be finishing my internship for another 4 weeks and then I'm going to a PE firm for a few weeks and I really feel like I should wait for these finish so I can add them to my C.V. before applying.. but that would put me into the final week of September.. so I really can't decide on what to do..

To be honest, you'll still be earlier than the majority of applicants. Don't worry too much about it.
Reply 107
Can't be bothered to multi-quote, hopefully the relevant people will read this

Thanks a lot for the BoA e-mail, I owe you one there.

I'm not actually expecting anything from it and I won't put it on my CV, I just want it for my cover letter for BoA + a bit of networking.

As for RBS, yes, I have a summer offer for Global Markets. But I haven't been sent the proper contract yet so I don't know the proper details of their summer programme - if it's still exactly like they said it would be, I most likely won't take it.
Swayum
Can't be bothered to multi-quote, hopefully the relevant people will read this

Thanks a lot for the BoA e-mail, I owe you one there.

I'm not actually expecting anything from it and I won't put it on my CV, I just want it for my cover letter for BoA + a bit of networking.

As for RBS, yes, I have a summer offer for Global Markets. But I haven't been sent the proper contract yet so I don't know the proper details of their summer programme - if it's still exactly like they said it would be, I most likely won't take it.

What's wrong with government ownership?
Reply 109
NothingOnYou
What's wrong with government ownership?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, there are other things that I haven't liked - feel free to PM me if you want to discuss.
Reply 111

Haha, on a night out, some of friends met some billionares that spent £20k - £50k in one night buying drinks for them. Like an idiot, I decided not to go out that night!

*Edit*

Damn, my tactic didn't work: Bank of America said applications have closed/event is fully booked :frown:, I was expecting that but also secretly hoping they'd just let me in :biggrin:
Zweihander
Is it still Claudine running it?

Yes it is. I attended the one in June, and she was still top dog.
hey, can someone tell me if you need to upload your CV on the UBS application system, for example, when you log out the system after saving the application as a draft, and you log back in, theres a section on uploading cover letter and cv?
Reply 114
LSEactuary
Just as well considering RBS is selling parts off!

i don't tihnk anyone at RBS is aware of that. enlighten us.
KLL
i don't tihnk anyone at RBS is aware of that. enlighten us.

It was on the FT and the general news a few days ago if I remember correctly. It's selling some of igs branches to Santander I think.. I'll pull up a link and post it tomorrow. :smile:
Reply 116
LSEactuary
It was on the FT and the general news a few days ago if I remember correctly. It's selling some of igs branches to Santander I think.. I'll pull up a link and post it tomorrow. :smile:

oh, thats been known for over a year.
doesn't have anyaffect on RBS' investmetn banking at all.
in fact it was odd that they had that in the first place and didn't wind it down earlier. because all they did was have their weaker brand compete against the market leader with identical product.
Ali M

Same dilemma for me! Except I start my second internship next week.
Can I just ask, which banks have opened their applications?
Reply 119
eivoquraf
Can I just ask, which banks have opened their applications?

And which ones are opening up in the next few days / weeks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending