The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Going to LONDON

I live withing easy traveling distance of london at the mo and spend a lot of my nights out there. cant imagine going muchwhere else. especially for live bands and whatnot.

anyone who's at RHUL at the moment, how does the travelling for nights out to london work out. is it a regular occurence or not? easy or difficult? or does it all depend on how much money you happen to have come the weekend?

it's a london uni so kinda makes sense to head into london every now and then. non? good good.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
kerry_is_kez
I live withing easy traveling distance of london at the mo and spend a lot of my nights out there. cant imagine going muchwhere else. especially for live bands and whatnot.

anyone who's at RHUL at the moment, how does the travelling for nights out to london work out. is it a regular occurence or not? easy or difficult? or does it all depend on how much money you happen to have come the weekend?

it's a london uni so kinda makes sense to head into london every now and then. non? good good.

im looking forward to going to london too while at rhul. although it's only an hour from where i am now by train, being at rhul is closer to london, and there's so much in london so should be good.

it only takes about 25 mins i heard from egham station
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
kerry_is_kez

FAirly easy getting into london 4 a nite out (train is very efficient) but coming back can be an expensive problem.

Some societies organise coach trips etc which is the best method.
Reply 3
JP2403
im looking forward to going to london too while at rhul. although it's only an hour from where i am now by train, being at rhul is closer to london, and there's so much in london so should be good.

it only takes about 25 mins i heard from egham station

about 40-45 mins from egham to waterloo
Reply 4
watford110
about 40-45 mins from egham to waterloo

Ah. Cheers. Still not too bad I guess
Reply 5
There's four trains an hour, unfortunately two of them are extremely slow (one hour plus), so you have two trains an hour. Also, if you miss the first one (they are grouped within 4 minutes of each other), you are stuck on the really slow line, and will be travelling for twice as long. Fun.
Last train back is around 11pm -11.30pm, which is a pain if you're going to gigs. I went watching Four Tet this year, but Kieran only came on at 11.30pm...was not best pleased at missing his set, I can tell you! Your best bet is to either arrange somewhere to crash for the night, or go in a group and get a taxi back.
Reply 7
What an anti-climax, having to go home at 11:30!
Reply 8
Would it be worth staying out all night and getting the first train back in the morning?
Reply 9
Thats the spirit Rivey! Dont first trains leave at like 5.00 ish?
Reply 10
I've got a mate at imperial who will hopefully put up a roof for me. 11:30 is a joke. might aswell not bother
Reply 11
chrisbully
Thats the spirit Rivey! Dont first trains leave at like 5.00 ish?

No idea, but as long as we can get back in time for lectures, any time will be fine. :biggrin:

The problem will lie with finiding clubs open past 2am... though, having never been out in London before, I have no experience of this.
Reply 12
I've never been to London before, other than brief visits to do touristy things. As it is, I don't really like it: it seems quite dirty, cluttered, expensive and overhyped. The thought of being there late at night quite scares me to be honest...
Reply 13
Rivey
No idea, but as long as we can get back in time for lectures, any time will be fine. :biggrin:

The problem will lie with finiding clubs open past 2am... though, having never been out in London before, I have no experience of this.

The average club closes at 3am, some close at 4 and Fabric has been known to close as late as 7AM! your best bet will be to jus hang round the area for a while, ther are loads of cafes open an stuff, you can kill time there, and if you are lucky like me a night bus mite take you to your actual home, an then you can head of to uni in the morning
Reply 14
Cartouche
I've never been to London before, other than brief visits to do touristy things. As it is, I don't really like it: it seems quite dirty, cluttered, expensive and overhyped. The thought of being there late at night quite scares me to be honest...

Central London is great - I love it. I love the air (probably a chemical addiction thing seeing as I lived there for 13 years :wink: ), the parks, the busy feel, the buses, the taxis etc..

:love:
Reply 15
there's a few places in KIngs X and Islington which stay open late. central london is too expensive and, well, **** in my experience. although i've never actually ventured there that often.

dont like clubs where they play all that techno techno trance stuff. like my clubs nice and indie/rock/glam. nothing better, eh? haha. although they tend not to stay open that late. hmmph.
Reply 16
I live in london-i think its an amazing place 2 go out in...all be it i usually go to the same place on the weekends, there are soo many places to go...i usually go out around camden as most of my friends live there. You've got the worlds end pub which has the most random ppl...i saw the little one from busted a few weeks ago..and when that closes it has a club down stairs that does alternative/rock music which closes around 3, then u have the electric ballroom if u like cheese and pop that also stays open til 3ish, then theres bar solo and o bar which i've never been to cos its a bit chavish. There are loads of pubs and other bars too like belushi's and purple turtle and ice wharf which is a huge wetherspoons.
The angel/upper st has LOADS of bars too..bit pricey tho..and a few small clubs off oxford street that have student nights during the week..which do £1 a drink nights..always had a wicked time there, loads of ucl ppl go there.
Reply 17
...and if you don't like clubbing and pubbing?
Reply 18
theres lots of other stuff to do...camden market is really cool, got loads of bits n pieces...best time is sat or sunday mornings..at night the drug dealers come out..lol. I saw chris evans the last time i was there selling off furniture and cd's that he owned with billie piper (awww).
There's loads of cinemas, bowling alleys, ice rinks...the usual things and loads of really nice resturants esp around covent garden/charlotte street.
What are u into cartouche?
Reply 19
Lolls
theres lots of other stuff to do...camden market is really cool, got loads of bits n pieces...best time is sat or sunday mornings..at night the drug dealers come out..lol. I saw chris evans the last time i was there selling off furniture and cd's that he owned with billie piper (awww).
There's loads of cinemas, bowling alleys, ice rinks...the usual things and loads of really nice resturants esp around covent garden/charlotte street.
What are u into cartouche?

Haha. Camden market scares me. I always get lost and end up in some incense smoke filled drug stall with the dealer insisting he can see it in my eyes that I need what he has. The barfly is probably the best bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending