The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm afraid I'm your sit-around-drinking-coffee-and-discussing-things person. I'm also a 'stand in a place and watch the world go by' type-person, and whilst I like cityscapes at night, I get very scared if I'm alone.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21
there are plenty of cafes and a million starbucks and costa's around...there are nice places in the city along the thames too. I can't remember the theatre's name..the royal something-went to see 'his dark materials', anyway, thats next to the river and there are so many cool cafes and resturants along there, and it's really scenic place to walk around and chat. Also, the starbucks in the big waterstones on oxford street is a nice chill out place.

p.s camden isn't that scary, in fact its not at all..every friday and/or saturday night i get a night bus home from there at around 3am, its usually pretty crowded around that time cos everyone is on their way home. The drug dealers generally hang around the bridge that goes over the canal and r gone by 12...so stay away from there n you'll be fine...saying that they just usually say in a jamacian accent 'do u want some weed, magic mushrooms..4 for £10?'....i just keep on walking!!lol
Reply 22
Cartouche
I'm afraid I'm your sit-around-drinking-coffee-and-discussing-things person. I'm also a 'stand in a place and watch the world go by' type-person, and whilst I like cityscapes at night, I get very scared if I'm alone.

I feel the same... get scared easily in London at night when I'm alone or even with one or two peeps. Sometimes even in the day time when I saw ppl with lots of tatoos on them.I can never understand why so many of my friends are so addicted to london.
I dun drink coffee though...I'm a chocoholic, in loved with sweets.

I've been to Camden once in the day time, so there arn't as many drug dealers and scary ppl... hav to say you can get some really cool stuff there, but it takes time to go through every little shop.
I love London.
Reply 24
London isn intimidating, especialy in the day, even at night, when in london you are never in a blind spot, there are cctv cameras all over the place, its perfecttly fine, ignore the bad things you here an dont let them get to you
Reply 25
I think you just have to get used to London. I love it, both in the day, and at night. I love going to China Town for food, or just generally walking round London to see what's happening.
Reply 26
dunno, when i was younger, I'm perfactly ok with going out at night wherever i am. but these year, I got easily scared.....but hav to say london is quite a complex city... did know someone got rubbed in Oxford street in the day time...
Reply 27
liuqnh
dunno, when i was younger, I'm perfactly ok with going out at night wherever i am. but these year, I got easily scared.....but hav to say london is quite a complex city... did know someone got rubbed in Oxford street in the day time...

That could happen anywhere, to be honest :smile:

I think if you are just careful with your stuff, like don't put wallets in back pockets, keep bags closed etc etc, then you should be fine.
Reply 28
I'm suprised no-one has told me 'You come from Nottingham, you ought to be used to it', judging by the amount of bad press Nottingham has had. Yes, there are a lot of shootings, but only in one war-torn area you'd avoid more than a new Michael Winner commercial.

I suppose I'll just have to get used to business then...but I'm not going alone!
Reply 29
Personally, I'm looking forward to going into London a bit more. I've only ever been there in the day, to either attend seminars with school (wonderful...) or to go out for some food with my family. I want to check out the multitude of clubs!
Reply 30
whoo.

at the moment, there are no night buses back to where i live as it's too far north. so we get a night bus or two back to barnet. and then when everyone gets off we go and offer the bus driver a fiver to drive us back home. and that's how we all get home in the early hours of the morning.

as the trains stop at 11!!!, anyone know how far out to the west buses might go, and if they'll be open to a similar 'bribe and drive' deal? might be a solution to the getting home problem..
Reply 31
kerry_is_kez
whoo.

at the moment, there are no night buses back to where i live as it's too far north. so we get a night bus or two back to barnet. and then when everyone gets off we go and offer the bus driver a fiver to drive us back home. and that's how we all get home in the early hours of the morning.

as the trains stop at 11!!!, anyone know how far out to the west buses might go, and if they'll be open to a similar 'bribe and drive' deal? might be a solution to the getting home problem..

The furthest we can get is Uxbridge on the N9 i think
Reply 32
It'll probably be easier just to stick it out and come back at 5am on the first train. If not, there's a train route that goes via Heathrow (aparrantly), though this is meant to be quite long-winded.
Reply 33
Unless anyone here happens to own their own train...transport from Egham isn't all that fantastic.
Cartouche
Unless anyone here happens to own their own train...transport from Egham isn't all that fantastic.

Or a plane - anyone like to start learning to fly quite quickly?
Reply 35
Sarah Sheep
Or a plane - anyone like to start learning to fly quite quickly?

I can fly, though I haven't taken off or landed yet (two fairly important parts of flying :wink: ). I think I'd also have trouble finding a plane to commandeer :smile: .
Reply 36
Rivey
It'll probably be easier just to stick it out and come back at 5am on the first train. If not, there's a train route that goes via Heathrow (aparrantly), though this is meant to be quite long-winded.

Sounds like a good option.

I bet a cab would be an expensive option :biggrin:
Reply 37
...where in Central London can you land a plane? City Airport still isn't all that close.

Hey, if you're Runnymede-based, why not boat it down the Thames?
Cartouche
...where in Central London can you land a plane? City Airport still isn't all that close.

Roads can act as runways. :wink:
Reply 39
Yeeees...but Oxford Street isn't exactly free of obstructions...

Latest

Trending

Trending