The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Hi,

I got a 'C' in Higher French this year, despite getting straight 'As' throughout the year and my Prelim with 74%.
Would I be able to meet this if i was allowed to appeal or would it only move up to a grade 'B'.

Thanks for any help.
I think you might,I'm in the same boat so to speak,with german.I got an A(81%) in the prelim and a C in the final.
Reply 382
Original post by OddThings
I think you might,I'm in the same boat so to speak,with german.I got an A(81%) in the prelim and a C in the final.

I was really gutted with a 'C' because French has always been one of my best subjects but I think the paper this year was just so hard.

What about your German paper.
Original post by Brad22
I was really gutted with a 'C' because French has always been one of my best subjects but I think the paper this year was just so hard.

What about your German paper.

German is my best subject,yeah and I want to do it at university with another langauge,so I need that appeal to work. I found the paper okay in parts,but really hard in others.I had a cold on the day and my head was a mess basically.I could barely think in english never mind german. :redface:
Reply 384
Hi, I'm appealing for french. I got an A (77%) in the prelim, and a B in the final exam. I found the paper really hard this year, and combined with my crap teacher, it wasn't a good combination!!!
Original post by Alt__x
Hi, I'm appealing for french. I got an A (77%) in the prelim, and a B in the final exam. I found the paper really hard this year, and combined with my crap teacher, it wasn't a good combination!!!

Original post by Brad22
Hi,

I got a 'C' in Higher French this year, despite getting straight 'As' throughout the year and my Prelim with 74%.
Would I be able to meet this if i was allowed to appeal or would it only move up to a grade 'B'.

Thanks for any help.

I think you both have a fantastic chance of getting that appeal. I agree, that paper was horrendous - after years, the French marking scheme actually moved; yes for an A it went down by two marks to 68. I think that's pretty evident of the difficulty really.

I also got a C in the exam, but unfortunately I have no means of appealing. I did, however, get an A in Spanish. :rolleyes:
Reply 386
Original post by Quick-use
I think you both have a fantastic chance of getting that appeal. I agree, that paper was horrendous - after years, the French marking scheme actually moved; yes for an A it went down by two marks to 68. I think that's pretty evident of the difficulty really.

I also got a C in the exam, but unfortunately I have no means of appealing. I did, however, get an A in Spanish. :rolleyes:

Great, I'm glad you think so because I really wanted to get better than a 'C', but this year the exam was one of the worst in years, - in YEARS.

Hopefully through appealing we will all get what we really want.
Reply 387
Original post by Brad22
Great, I'm glad you think so because I really wanted to get better than a 'C', but this year the exam was one of the worst in years, - in YEARS.

Hopefully through appealing we will all get what we really want.

Good luck to you, I hope we both get the grades we truly deserve. I agree, it was an awful paper!!! Keep me posted with your progress in your appeals!!!
Reply 388

Thank you very much, I really hope so!!! Sorry about that, maybe Spanish is just much more your language!!
Original post by Alt__x
Thank you very much, I really hope so!!! Sorry about that, maybe Spanish is just much more your language!!

:smile:
Could I get an appeal?
Could I get an appeal?

I'd assume so... Alt_x and Brad22 both got As in the 70 mark, whereas you got an A1 for your prelim - you, too, would have a really good chance. :smile:
I'd assume so... Alt_x and Brad22 both got As in the 70 mark, whereas you got an A1 for your prelim - you, too, would have a really good chance. :smile:

A1? Really? I thought it was only 90% plus that constituted an A1. Can an appeal go up by two grades or just one? I've never appealed before...
A1? Really? I thought it was only 90% plus that constituted an A1. Can an appeal go up by two grades or just one? I've never appealed before...

80% and higher is A band 1. It depends how high your C was, and even then it depends if you have more evidence. I'm not too sure - it's happened before, but you'd need a lot of evidence to go up to an A.

I remember reading how someone a few years back got 'No Award' for their Advanced Higher Modern Studies exam, yet they had great standard A grades throughout the year - they appealed to a grade B. But, that person must've had a lot of evidence.
Reply 394
Hi,

I am hoping to get two successful appeals for Higher level... yes I know - HOPE.

But since I have just completed a fifth year I really have no idea how the appeal process works.

For Example-

If I perhaps believe I should resit one of my subjects which I could get an appeal for, how can I then drop it to choose another.

This is what I mean-

I got a 'C' in this year's higher exam despite me getting an 'A' in many various assessments and the March Prelim.
If I choose to resit this subject for next year and my appeal is successful, what will happen.

I know this is something which is hard to reply too but hopefully someone will have a clearer understanding of this than me.
80% and higher is A band 1. It depends how high your C was, and even then it depends if you have more evidence. I'm not too sure - it's happened before, but you'd need a lot of evidence to go up to an A.

I remember reading how someone a few years back got 'No Award' for their Advanced Higher Modern Studies exam, yet they had great standard A grades throughout the year - they appealed to a grade B. But, that person must've had a lot of evidence.

I don't know the band of the C yet,but the best I could hope for is a B,maybe an A,but that's probably stretching things a bit. Fingers crossed!
Reply 396

Hi there again,

It is just to ask what you mean by a lot of evidence.
I know of course your Prelim is a big and almost necessary part to your appeal, but what else.

Do you mean NAB'S, Classwork, Reading and Writing Examples.

As 'Odd things' said I have never appealed before.
There are various kinds of appeals (different levels of priorities) which means you can get the results by the end of August or back in October/November. If your appeal goes through and you get boosted up to an A or B, then you'll just have to drop the subject and choose another to crash in on. So it's more on your school end than the SQA end and whether they allow subject switching. You could take up another subject and hope for the best come appeal results time.

It's probably best to discuss this with a guidance teacher.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Brad22
Hi there again,

It is just to ask what you mean by a lot of evidence.
I know of course your Prelim is a big and almost necessary part to your appeal, but what else.

Do you mean NAB'S, Classwork, Reading and Writing Examples.

As 'Odd things' said I have never appealed before.

Your prelim is a big and necessary part of your appeal, yes, and in most cases - sufficient. I'm not really experienced in this either, but I have heard about it/read up on it. Other things would include: NABs, tests, homework, classwork etc. So basically what you listed - ask your teacher first, though. Tell them, if you can, that you have more evidence and you'd like to offer it - if they don't think so, then don't bother, but if they do, then it may as well just help your chances.

I'm not an expert, unfortunately.

Best of luck!
Reply 399
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
There are various kinds of appeals (different levels of priorities) which means you can get the results by the end of August or back in October/November. If your appeal goes through and you get boosted up to an A or B, then you'll just have to drop the subject and choose another to crash in on. So it's more on your school end than the SQA end and whether they allow subject switching. You could take up another subject and hope for the best come appeal results time.

It's probably best to discuss this with a guidance teacher.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Now I am a little bit stressed because my school is very strict on 'dropping out' of subjects and the latest for changing subjects is at the beginning of September.

But how does this work if appeal results do not come through until mid September- like the 20th.

Latest

Trending

Trending