The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lou p
errm, why aren't a nice peson Lucy? *sulks*

lou xxx

aww ok, since I'm a nice person I'll let you go on my 'Nice People' list :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 21
Eeyore
I had started to think about colleges, but I'm not sure which are best for English Lit, or which would have the right attitudes towards me etc. Anyone got any recommendations? My viola teacher went to Brasenose (reading theology) and reckons I should go there.

There are quite a few threads on this. Basically, I think you need to decide what type of person you are then choose the college for you, not what your tutor recommends necessarily. Do you want the full Oxford experiance or are you happy with a more relaxed informal college?
Reply 22
Ensocopier
There are quite a few threads on this. Basically, I think you need to decide what type of person you are then choose the college for you, not what your tutor recommends necessarily. Do you want the full Oxford experiance or are you happy with a more relaxed informal college?

I'm quite happy to go to a relaxed and informal college, I just want to go to Oxford!!
Reply 23
Eeyore
I'm quite happy to go to a relaxed and informal college, I just want to go to Oxford!!

Ensocopier mentioned Somerville which is worth looking into - it's relaxed and informal and the students there are super-nice and very friendly and helpful :biggrin:
Reply 24
Eeyore

I hope you like English Literature more than you'd like to get into Oxford. Because if they pick any wave of that up at the interview, they may very well reject you, despite being great in English!
Reply 25
aliel
I hope you like English Literature more than you'd like to get into Oxford. Because if they pick any wave of that up at the interview, they may very well reject you, despite being great in English!

Lol, yeah, I see what you mean! But don't worry, I really love English Lit, that's why I want to go to the best university possible!
Reply 26
Lucy
Ensocopier mentioned Somerville which is worth looking into - it's relaxed and informal and the students there are super-nice and very friendly and helpful :biggrin:

...and I get the feeling that they positively discriminate in favour of state school students.
Reply 27
Eeyore
Lol, yeah, I see what you mean! But don't worry, I really love English Lit, that's why I want to go to the best university possible!

Well Goodluck then! I received an offer, and my GCSEs weren't very good. But my written work was, and so was my personal statement! Just make sure those two things are up to scratch, and hope for a good interview!
Reply 28
Ensocopier
...and I get the feeling that they positively discriminate in favour of state school students.

Quite likely - I read in a university guide that they have many undergraduates from state schools and on the website they made some (subtle) comment about how many of their students went to state schools.
Reply 29
aliel
Well Goodluck then! I received an offer, and my GCSEs weren't very good. But my written work was, and so was my personal statement! Just make sure those two things are up to scratch, and hope for a good interview!

Personally, I don't think that the personal statement has much effect when they actually make you an offer. It just helps you get to the interview room. I applied for a joint-History school and focussed mainly on the other subject in my PS. I only mentioned History in one line, and I still got an offer.
Reply 30
Lucy
Quite likely - I read in a university guide that they have many undergraduates from state schools and on the website they made some (subtle) comment about how many of their students went to state schools.

I'm glad I didn't find out about this before I applied. Luckily I still scraped in despite going to private school.
Reply 31
Ensocopier
I'm glad I didn't find out about this before I applied. Luckily I still scraped in despite going to private school.

Somerville was assigned to me so I wasn't too hopeful on them taking me on if my first choice college didn't want me (because I go to a private school too) - at my interviews I really liked it there though and thought I wouldn't mind going there at all :smile:
Reply 32
Also do people think I'm doing enough extra curricular stuff? I'm in at least one music group every day of the week and I'm doing D of E. Is there anything else I can do to boost my application? I want to find out now rather than nearer the time before it's too late you see! :-)
Eeyore
btw I took all my GCSEs via distance from home and took the exams at a local school so I essentially taught myself the whole lot... which was quite an achievement for me and it would have been impossible to take any more.

How can you teach yourself english and english literature. Theyre just skills you acquire... oh and you can teach your self much more than two gcses...i taught myself the whole latin syllabus shit loads of maths and chemistry because our chem. teachers just tells you to turn to various pages and take notes or she dictates and does nothing for the rest of the lesson.

I wish i didnt go to school....i think i would get much more done.

Anway...i dont think the fact he only has two GCSEs is going to hinder him from going to Oxford...its not his fault he was home educated, its not like he chose to be.
Reply 34
ThornsnRoses

Anway...i dont think the fact he only has two GCSEs is going to hinder him from going to Oxford...its not his fault he was home educated, its not like he chose to be.

You make it sound like home education is an awful thing! Personally I think it's far preferable to going to school. Maybe he did choose it.
Reply 35
ThornsnRoses
How can you teach yourself english and english literature. Theyre just skills you acquire... oh and you can teach your self much more than two gcses...i taught myself the whole latin syllabus shit loads of maths and chemistry because our chem. teachers just tells you to turn to various pages and take notes or she dictates and does nothing for the rest of the lesson.

I wish i didnt go to school....i think i would get much more done.

I don't have two GCSEs I have 8: 4 A*s, 2As and 2Bs. And I'm not a he I'm a she! And I agree about Eng being something you acquire. And I'm glad I was home educated :-)
Having spoken to various admissions tutors they say that extra-curricular activities are good, but they won't get you in by themselves. Read and read, and do so becuase you love it, rather than to get you in.
Reply 37
Eeyore
Also do people think I'm doing enough extra curricular stuff? I'm in at least one music group every day of the week and I'm doing D of E. Is there anything else I can do to boost my application? I want to find out now rather than nearer the time before it's too late you see! :-)

Maybe do something English-related like contribute to the school magazine (if your school has one), debating clubs or help younger kids in your school with English? You could also try to find a related work experience placement e.g. in journalism/media?
Reply 38
Eeyore

Get a job! But make sure you kick ass in your AS levels.
Reply 39
Ensocopier
Personally, I don't think that the personal statement has much effect when they actually make you an offer. It just helps you get to the interview room. I applied for a joint-History school and focussed mainly on the other subject in my PS. I only mentioned History in one line, and I still got an offer.

But on the other hand, for both my interviews, the PS formed about 80% of the questions asked. So you might as well make it good :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending