The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Specialheffa
Well i didn't have a language at GCSE!

Thank you
Reply 61
*dave*
What are you on about? Not having a language at GCSE wouldn't put you at a disadvantage at all! Its not like you learn anything at GCSE level anyway!

Tek
You quite clearly don't know what you're talking about, Dave, so be quiet.

Matriculation requirements
These are the minimum entrance requirements for all candidates regardless of course and age, designed to ensure you have had a sufficiently broad general education.

Qualifications are required in five subjects:

English, a language other than English, an approved mathematical or scientific subject, and two other approved subjects.
For candidates with GCSE and GCE, at least two of these subjects must be at GCE A level; the others in GCSE at grades A, B or C.

That means you really DO need a foreign or ancient language GCSE to study at Cambridge (especially for Arts subjects) but as I said above I don't know if this is true for Oxford.

I prefer to put my trust in what the Offical Admissions website says thank you evry much.
Reply 62
Specialheffa
Well then surely YOU should have been capable enough to find out for yourself, this is the passion and drive for literature... you seem (obviously) really intelligent, but that would then imply that you maybe could not have been bothered to find out yourself. It's not hard to go on amazon or a library to find books from the same author.

And also extra curricular activities are not essential for an application in English (possibly drama, writing or debating), they are really looking for your passion and talent within English Literature.

xx

Well yeah, I see your point. Maybe I didn't put it entirely how I meant it, my English teacher recommended other books of the same author that he thought WOULD BE WORTH READING because he'd read them already. How was I supposed to know if a book by the same author was as good as The Handmaid's Tale or a load of crap, for example? Also my teacher recommended other books of the same genre which I'd never heard of, he even lent me a book of his called "Einstein's Monsters" by Martin Amis, which I've almost finished. I don't think I would have discovered this without his having mentioned it. It's not that I couldn't be bothered, and I didn't want to waste time with literature that wasn't worth reading or wasn't so relevant to what I'm studying.

I feel so discouraged :'-(
Reply 63
MadNatSci
Actually, the matriculation requirements at Cambridge do state 'a language other than English' at GCSE as being necessary.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugprospectus/applying/applying01.html

Errr so what about Oxford? I feel so thick now.
Eeyore
Errr so what about Oxford? I feel so thick now.

'Ang on, I'll have a look and see if I can see what they say... but as we've already discussed it doesn't seem that Cambridge, at least, take their own matriculation requirements hugely seriously so don't worry too much about it!
MadNatSci
'Ang on, I'll have a look and see if I can see what they say... but as we've already discussed it doesn't seem that Cambridge, at least, take their own matriculation requirements hugely seriously so don't worry too much about it!

Ok, a couple of pages you might find useful:

http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/prostud/admission.html

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/enreq.shtml

It seems Oxford don't have formal matriculation requirements any more...
Reply 66
MadNatSci
Ok, a couple of pages you might find useful:

http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/prostud/admission.html

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/enreq.shtml

It seems Oxford don't have formal matriculation requirements any more...

Thank you very much, that was very useful! :-) I am feeling a bit more positive after that, it seems love of literature is a top priority and I certainly have that! Are you an Oxford student yourself?
Eeyore
Thank you very much, that was very useful! :-) I am feeling a bit more positive after that, it seems love of literature is a top priority and I certainly have that! Are you an Oxford student yourself?

No, I would never sink so low! I'm at Cambridge :wink:
Reply 68
MadNatSci
No, I would never sink so low! I'm at Cambridge :wink:

:-o!!! What are you studying?
Eeyore
:-o!!! What are you studying?

Natural Sciences.
Reply 70
MadNatSci
Natural Sciences.

Cool! My dad went to Cambridge, he did civil engineering. :-)
Eeyore
Cool! My dad went to Cambridge, he did civil engineering. :-)

Excellent, good choice on his part! Good luck with your application, m'dear:smile:
Reply 72
MadNatSci
Excellent, good choice on his part! Good luck with your application, m'dear:smile:

Awww thanks! And many thanks for your help :-)
Reply 73
Wow, repliers here are certainly being pessimistic. It's a very competitive course to apply for and the interview will be challenging, from what I've heard, but why shouldn't you have just a good as chance as most? I think the interviewers will be more impressed by an eloquently spoken, intelligently enthusiastic candidate with horror of horrors, just an A at Eng lit (so what?) than one with a string of GCSE A*s and one sided, stuffy views. Just a theoretical example.
Reply 74
Eeyore
How was I supposed to know if a book by the same author was as good as The Handmaid's Tale or a load of crap, for example?

Um, by reading it, perchance?
Reply 75
Tek
Um, by reading it, perchance?

Well I think the point I made is that I didn't want to waste time reading stuff that's not really worthwhile reading. There are so many books I want to read and I don't want to bother reading books (or wasting the money) if they aren't going to be any good.
Reply 76
Daenerys
Wow, repliers here are certainly being pessimistic. It's a very competitive course to apply for and the interview will be challenging, from what I've heard, but why shouldn't you have just a good as chance as most? I think the interviewers will be more impressed by an eloquently spoken, intelligently enthusiastic candidate with horror of horrors, just an A at Eng lit (so what?) than one with a string of GCSE A*s and one sided, stuffy views. Just a theoretical example.

Well said Daenerys! Thank you for being optimistic :smile:
Reply 77
Specialheffa
Sorry but you mentioned before your teachers are suggesting other reading.. well if you really love Eng Lit you should have already been doing that yourself, and yourself have the passion to read other non-exam texts...

Teachers have an element of input, but they will either give you their specific area of study or things that they feel will get you into Oxford..

Passion for literature should already have been there before A'Levels.

xx

That's a bit harsh - There's nothing wrong with a teacher recommending a student to read a certain book if they feel that their student will enjoy it. Teachers are there for advice and to take your own initiative to go and ask for recommended reading is hardly a negative trait! After I became interested in genetics, my biology teachers were more than willing to recommend books they thought would interest me - after all they know me as a person, who else better to advise me on background reading?

Plus, who says this person doesn't read any other literature other than that which is recommended to her?
Reply 78
Lucy
That's a bit harsh - There's nothing wrong with a teacher recommending a student to read a certain book if they feel that their student will enjoy it. Teachers are there for advice and to take your own initiative to go and ask for recommended reading is hardly a negative trait! After I became interested in genetics, my biology teachers were more than willing to recommend books they thought would interest me - after all they know me as a person, who else better to advise me on background reading?

Plus, who says this person doesn't read any other literature other than that which is recommended to her?

Thanks Lucy! Yeah you're right I read loads of stuff other than what teachers recommend. I'm currently reading Shakespeare's Sonnets entirely of my own accord, and I'd read four out of Jane Austen's six novels even before I'd started GCSE English. That's purely an example :smile:
Reply 79
Eeyore
Well I think the point I made is that I didn't want to waste time reading stuff that's not really worthwhile reading. There are so many books I want to read and I don't want to bother reading books (or wasting the money) if they aren't going to be any good.

Well how do you know they're not going to be any good if you don't bother to read them?? By basing your opinions on what your teachers say...?! Have some independence of mind - my teachers dislike what EH Carr says, but I still read him and found that I actually agreed with him to a certain extent! If you just listen to what your teachers say then you're not really showing the true capabilities of independent thought that you're probably capable of and that Oxbridge admissions tutors will expect!

And as for the money point I think you'll find Public Libraries are quite good value really.

Latest

Trending

Trending