The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling General Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarveyCanis
...do you get a break halfway through? :frown:

Yeah, it should be. We should hopefully move away from the ancient texts which are impossible to decipher and focus on modern war, UN stuff. I've promised myself I'm going to lectures this week, I had to revise so much for exams...

Microteaching? What's that?

History looks okay but it'll be better next semester when we REALLY get to choose what subject we do in it.

Yeah, social sciences students get so much free time! In the second semester I had nothing after Wednesday 11am for the entire week...

Well, depending on the tutor, they normally offer you either a break in between, or leaving early.

Thank goodness! I might actually be bothered with it this year, if it'll actually be more relevant and make sense. I'll need to do the same - gave up on the lectures last year but I doubt that'll be a good plan this year!

Micro teaching is basically where they bring in a bunch of P7/S1 kids and I have to teach them for one lesson a week, and they switch the group the next week. Next semester will be link practise, which is the same but with just one group of kids. So basically starting practical teaching this year :tongue:

What's next semester's module about? I know this one is about different historical figures, which sounds pretty good, but I can't wait to get more of a choice!

Same here! Put all my seminars early in the week last semester and ended up having way, way too much free time! Not good when you're trying to keep motivated and get work done, and then have to force yourself to do work :s-smilie:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
...do you get a break halfway through? :frown:

Yeah, it should be. We should hopefully move away from the ancient texts which are impossible to decipher and focus on modern war, UN stuff. I've promised myself I'm going to lectures this week, I had to revise so much for exams...

Microteaching? What's that?

History looks okay but it'll be better next semester when we REALLY get to choose what subject we do in it.

Yeah, social sciences students get so much free time! In the second semester I had nothing after Wednesday 11am for the entire week...

The international politics module is alright in itself and it is a break from the philosophical texts which you will be straight back to in the spring semester but you have Bill Patterson as a lecturer and he drove me mad especially at the two extremes of 9am and 5pm when you have to encounter him.
Original post by draconia_93
Well, depending on the tutor, they normally offer you either a break in between, or leaving early.

Thank goodness! I might actually be bothered with it this year, if it'll actually be more relevant and make sense. I'll need to do the same - gave up on the lectures last year but I doubt that'll be a good plan this year!

Micro teaching is basically where they bring in a bunch of P7/S1 kids and I have to teach them for one lesson a week, and they switch the group the next week. Next semester will be link practise, which is the same but with just one group of kids. So basically starting practical teaching this year :tongue:

What's next semester's module about? I know this one is about different historical figures, which sounds pretty good, but I can't wait to get more of a choice!

Same here! Put all my seminars early in the week last semester and ended up having way, way too much free time! Not good when you're trying to keep motivated and get work done, and then have to force yourself to do work :s-smilie:

They better. :unimpressed:

I'm kinda concerned about lectures and whatnot. I missed loads last year and I was but 10 minutes from the lecture theatre. I'm now living 40 minutes away from the uni...

Oh my God that sounds terrifying tbh. You have to control them on your own?!

Assuming you haven't checked already I think we get to choose any of the level 9 modules in semester 4. I'll probably choose Modern European History.

The only benefit of that is the amazing feeling when you finish an essay/assignment BEFORE the day it's due. It's like "bitches be jealous of my forward planning". :colonhash:

Original post by Stirling2014
The international politics module is alright in itself and it is a break from the philosophical texts which you will be straight back to in the spring semester but you have Bill Patterson as a lecturer and he drove me mad especially at the two extremes of 9am and 5pm when you have to encounter him.

He's quite a quiet speaker I think I recall? And kinda dull. Peter Lynch was good in semester 1.
They better. :unimpressed:

I'm kinda concerned about lectures and whatnot. I missed loads last year and I was but 10 minutes from the lecture theatre. I'm now living 40 minutes away from the uni...

Oh my God that sounds terrifying tbh. You have to control them on your own?!

Assuming you haven't checked already I think we get to choose any of the level 9 modules in semester 4. I'll probably choose Modern European History.

The only benefit of that is the amazing feeling when you finish an essay/assignment BEFORE the day it's due. It's like "bitches be jealous of my forward planning". :colonhash:

Sometimes they forget and just keep going for 2 hours!

40 minutes?! Where on earth are you living next year? :eek:

Oh cool, thanks for the link! I'll probably go for Modern European too, though the witchcraft module sounds quite good :smile:

Or two weeks before when you have a hitchhike to do before the deadline! :tongue: Other than that, it didn't happen at all last year, even though I had tons of free time. What on earth did I do with my life? :laugh:
Sometimes they forget and just keep going for 2 hours!

40 minutes?! Where on earth are you living next year? :eek:

Oh cool, thanks for the link! I'll probably go for Modern European too, though the witchcraft module sounds quite good :smile:

Or two weeks before when you have a hitchhike to do before the deadline! :tongue: Other than that, it didn't happen at all last year, even though I had tons of free time. What on earth did I do with my life? :laugh:

But that's just mean. :sad:

Well, 40 minutes walk as I'm trying to avoid buses to save money. :tongue:

It does, but I fear it would be filled with incomprehensible literature from a far far far bygone era.

Watch movies/drink/go to the cinema/go for walks if you're anything like me. :tongue:
But that's just mean. :sad:

Well, 40 minutes walk as I'm trying to avoid buses to save money. :tongue:

It does, but I fear it would be filled with incomprehensible literature from a far far far bygone era.

Watch movies/drink/go to the cinema/go for walks if you're anything like me. :tongue:

Some of them just are! :sadnod:

Rather you than me! I'm staying on campus so I'll only have a short walk to class! :woo:

Ahh, true...very, very true. As much as I'd like to do some ancient/medieval modules, I might just pass on that one (why's there no modules on ancient history of other countries? :frown:)

Not much of a film person (or rather, I just never get round to watching the ones I want to :tongue:), but drinking definitely took up a fair bit of first year, as well as gaming! Love the fact we have a really cheap cinema on campus, even though the film selection is a bit pitiful! Have you explored the wilderness of campus yet?
Some of them just are! :sadnod:

Rather you than me! I'm staying on campus so I'll only have a short walk to class! :woo:

Ahh, true...very, very true. As much as I'd like to do some ancient/medieval modules, I might just pass on that one (why's there no modules on ancient history of other countries? :frown:)

Not much of a film person (or rather, I just never get round to watching the ones I want to :tongue:), but drinking definitely took up a fair bit of first year, as well as gaming! Love the fact we have a really cheap cinema on campus, even though the film selection is a bit pitiful! Have you explored the wilderness of campus yet?

Staying on campus with rowdy freshers running riot you mean? :tongue:

Ikr, I would so love to do Vikings but no, British history is sooooooo much more important. :colonhash:

Netflix and LoveFilm made my life tbh. Well, the free trials anyway. What games did you play? I still haven't visited the MacRobert yet... :colondollar: Oh plenty, we went on plentiful walks around the loch, nature paths, graveyards etc. Did you?
Staying on campus with rowdy freshers running riot you mean? :tongue:

Ikr, I would so love to do Vikings but no, British history is sooooooo much more important. :colonhash:

Netflix and LoveFilm made my life tbh. Well, the free trials anyway. What games did you play? I still haven't visited the MacRobert yet... :colondollar: Oh plenty, we went on plentiful walks around the loch, nature paths, graveyards etc. Did you?

Oh dear, I'd forgotten about that! But it's ok, they'll be drunk and disorientated and won't know their way around campus yet, I'll be safe! :tongue:

They've got books on Vikings in the library, though I thought there was a module on them later on? Strangely, the History section has more sections of different time periods/places than the actual courses! :hmmmm2:

Ah, I've heard of both, though Netflix is apparently the better of the two (we got pestered with LoveFilm people sneaking round our halls :mob:). I had my PSP with me (and occasionally my DS), so played quite a bit of Monster Hunter (not as weird as it sounds, and it's flipping difficult!). I've got a 360 at home so I had the promise of Skyrim to keep me motivated in first year! :tongue: Other than that, there's a lovely little time-waster called Vizzed which is awesome!

I've been about the loch and the woodland area, but the graveyard? Nooooo way! :laugh: You're a brave/crazy one!
Reply 288
Guys is anyone from you all planning to come to University of Stirling in this Sep'13 intake for UG or PG???
I have got an offer letter from the university for my PG, so just wanna know is anyone coming in this intake... :h:
Reply 289
Original post by amish_tr
Guys is anyone from you all planning to come to University of Stirling in this Sep'13 intake for UG or PG???
I have got an offer letter from the university for my PG, so just wanna know is anyone coming in this intake... :h:

Yeah I do, got a conditional offer for PG. Meeting the conditions shouldn't be a problem though (I hope).
Reply 290
Original post by Csongor
Yeah I do, got a conditional offer for PG. Meeting the conditions shouldn't be a problem though (I hope).

congrats broda for your offer letter i too have got same for my PG i.e. for my Master's Degree... :smile:
Yeah meeting the conditions shouldn't be an issue surely.... :h:
It seems this sticky died a bit, which is a shame as chat threads are always great! Anyone want to kick start it again?

Any current students out there, or applicants? Feel free to use this thread for general chat.

I'll kick it off! What do you study (or hoping to study) at Stirling, and what's your favourite thing about Stirling?
Reply 292
As Ecosse said above, lets get this back on the go. Reading back through the pages, it's really helped a good amount of people out for questions and things.

How about we go with like:

1. What you've applied for at Uni?
2. Is it your first choice?
3. Are you wanting to stay in student accommodation?
4. What are you looking forward to the most about Uni?
5. What about least?
6. Any questions that you're curious about, off the top of your head?

I'll answer Ecosse above. I'm hoping to Study Environmental Geography or Ecology. I'm really looking forward to becoming more independent and I like the idea of it being rural. Just means if something is getting to me, I can just go and surround myself in the campus grounds and relax.

Stirling is my first choice. I'm hoping to get accepted into Student Accommodation. To be honest, although Geddes is supposed to be the "slum" of the lot, I think it would be the best for meeting new people, going to parties etc. Plus, it's the closest to the actual classes.
Really looking forward to meeting new people. I think when you live in the same place for a long time, you get to know a lot of people and it slowly dwindles down to those who you actually enjoy spending time with. You end up with just a small group of people. Going to Uni will probably feel like you're opened up to a world of new and different people.

The thing I think I'll enjoy least is probably missing my family. It's only a 30 minute ride away from home for me, but when you're used to seeing them every day to not seeing them for a large period of time, it's inevitable you will miss them.

Finally, I'll ask, is anyone considering starting up a club/society? I'm considering it if/when I get there. Brilliant way to meet new people with the same interests.
Reply 293
Original post by Calum10
As Ecosse said above, lets get this back on the go. Reading back through the pages, it's really helped a good amount of people out for questions and things.

How about we go with like:

1. What you've applied for at Uni?
2. Is it your first choice?
3. Are you wanting to stay in student accommodation?
4. What are you looking forward to the most about Uni?
5. What about least?

I'll answer Ecosse above. I'm hoping to Study Environmental Geography or Ecology. I'm really looking forward to becoming more independent and I like the idea of it being rural. Just means if something is getting to me, I can just go and surround myself in the campus grounds and relax.

Stirling is my first choice. I'm hoping to get accepted into Student Accommodation. To be honest, although Geddes is supposed to be the "slum" of the lot, I think it would be the best for meeting new people, going to parties etc. Plus, it's the closest to the actual classes.
Really looking forward to meeting new people. I think when you live in the same place for a long time, you get to know a lot of people and it slowly dwindles down to those who you actually enjoy spending time with. You end up with just a small group of people. Going to Uni will probably feel like you're opened up to a world of new and different people.

The thing I think I'll enjoy least is probably missing my family. It's only a 30 minute ride away from home for me, but when you're used to seeing them every day to not seeing them for a large period of time, it's inevitable you will miss them.

Finally, I'll ask, is anyone considering starting up a club/society? I'm considering it if/when I get there. Brilliant way to meet new people with the same interests.

Your thinking of starting a club/society? I want to join something, maybe debating society or something like that.

1. What you've applied for at Uni? Psychology BA
2. Is it your first choice? This or strathclyde
3. Are you wanting to stay in student accommodation? Yeah
4. What are you looking forward to the most about Uni? New friends, not having to travel to college and living independently!
5. What about least? Exams!
Hey guys, trying to work out how much I need for university in September. How much would you suggest for a first year student after accommodation and phone are paid for ?
Original post by Gecko1995
Hey guys, trying to work out how much I need for university in September. How much would you suggest for a first year student after accommodation and phone are paid for ?

Depends what accommodation you are going for mate. You will be somewhere between 300-500 a month for accommodation, then your food will probably be 60-100 a month, phone is say 30 a month? You're probably between 400-650 a month.
Original post by Calum10
Depends what accommodation you are going for mate. You will be somewhere between 300-500 a month for accommodation, then your food will probably be 60-100 a month, phone is say 30 a month? You're probably between 400-650 a month.

Sorry didn't make myself clear there rent and phone are already paid for trying to workout how much I need to live between food/nights out ect
Hi chaps,

just thought i'd let you all know that I got an A in my graded unit and met my conditions for Stirling. Hopefully see you all in September! :smile:
Congrats man! :smile:

Now we'll definitely see each other in september :wink:

Original post by Calum10
Hi chaps,

just thought i'd let you all know that I got an A in my graded unit and met my conditions for Stirling. Hopefully see you all in September! :smile:
Original post by Calum10
Hi chaps,

That's fantastic news! Congratulations Calum :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest