The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:frown: I'm Sudanese. This is just heart-breaking </3 How could the photographer just walk away?
Reply 161
im so academic
Why you stop acting as if you're better than me?

How do you know that?

Tbh, nature did him a favour by letting him die.

Guess what, you really think it's going to help matters, honestly? How the hell is £2.50 enough to care for a child - any child - for a month. If you were that selfless, you would give more; but I would argue it STILL wouldn't do anything.

I'm not saying that charity is wrong, God no; it's just one day when the world cannot just keep on giving.

Lol, where did you get those assumptions from?

Excuse me, I'm the one being truthful: **** happens, no matter how much people give people will DIE.

You could give an infinite amount of money to charity; they'll always be someone who is struggling to survive.

I bet when you go out into the streets and see a homeless man, you wouldn't do ****. It's one thing to say it and another to actually go and do it.

You even said it yourself! "I can't be too sure", so how one earth ca you see "if I see a baby on the floor I think I would help it". Think? You're not even 100% with that statement.

Do you know what that makes you? A hypocrite. You say one thing, but you do another.

I guarantee you would not help a baby if you saw it dying on the floor. If you disagree with my statement - go into the streets and help then! It's in front of your very eyes. But of course, you wouldn't.

Look, I give £2.50. I can't feed all of those people but atleast its something. how dare you imply that charity does little for those people. The way you're acting its like you're saying people should stop giving money to charity at all. Well guess what. Thats a very crappy idea and a very lazy one. Just because people WILL die... does that mean those people who do benefit from that money should be ignored? And why should I give money to a homeless begger on the street? Im giving my money to Children in africa. Chances are those homeless people on the street have bad habits and have landed themselves on the street on their own accord. I'd rather help a poor child then help a fully grown man who CAN go to homeless shelters. There are hardly any homeless shelters in 3rd world countries.

I highly doubt a homeless person here is going to die of starvation. But in a third world country... its highly likely.

Don't call me a hypocrite. Because you're just trying to act all hardcore 'oh I dont give a **** about people in this world and I know how it works and how it should work' Well you don't. You're VERY lucky so you can't speak like that. You don't understand 1/10000 of the suffering people like that suffer. So you have no right to say such cruel things.

AND I WOULD SO HELP A BABY ON THE FLOOR IF IT WAS DYING. Because Im not a selfish cow like you. :teehee:
Reply 162
omg thats bad... what i heard was the photographer was not alound to touch any kids or babies incase he might catch a disease or somethin but what he did was try and scare the vulture away
failingatm
Look, I give £2.50. I can't feed all of those people but atleast its something. how dare you imply that charity does little for those people. The way you're acting its like you're saying people should stop giving money to charity at all. Well guess what. Thats a very crappy idea and a very lazy one. Just because people WILL die... does that mean those people who do benefit from that money should be ignored? And why should I give money to a homeless begger on the street? Im giving my money to Children in africa. Chances are those homeless people on the street have bad habits and have landed themselves on the street on their own accord. I'd rather help a poor child then help a fully grown man who CAN go to homeless shelters. There are hardly any homeless shelters in 3rd world countries.

I highly doubt a homeless person here is going to die of starvation. But in a third world country... its highly likely.

Don't call me a hypocrite. Because you're just trying to act all hardcore 'oh I dont give a **** about people in this world and I know how it works and how it should work' Well you don't. You're VERY lucky so you can't speak like that. You don't understand 1/10000 of the suffering people like that suffer. So you have no right to say such cruel things.

AND I WOULD SO HELP A BABY ON THE FLOOR IF IT WAS DYING. Because Im not a selfish cow like you. :teehee:

I actually agree with what you are saying. £2.50 can go a long way, and if everyone thought "I can only give this meagre amount, it's not worth it, I'll go and get myself a Happy Meal" then charities would receive a lot less in donations. With regards to the homeless, I strongly agree with you, they have the resources here already, there are plenty of shelters and charities here to help them, all they need to do is walk in with the will to change. A lot of people in Africa don't have this opportunity and they have not made the choice of living in poverty.

My instinct would also be to help that child. Some people are saying they wouldn't go near her because of disease, well, could you not have ran to get help? Even if she still died, at least you tried.
Reply 164
eggtarts
I actually agree with what you are saying. £2.50 can go a long way, and if everyone thought "I can only give this meagre amount, it's not worth it, I'll go and get myself a Happy Meal" then charities would receive a lot less in donations. With regards to the homeless, I strongly agree with you, they have the resources here already, there are plenty of shelters and charities here to help them, all they need to do is walk in with the will to change. A lot of people in Africa don't have this opportunity and they have not made the choice of living in poverty.

My instinct would also be to help that child. Some people are saying they wouldn't go near her because of disease, well, could you not have ran to get help? Even if she still died, at least you tried.

You, my friend are an awesome person. :yep:
och it's a massive thing the media blew up - the child wasn't abandoned, they were by some health center thing that the photographer was visiting
damos92
No one on here cares that you obviously lack confidence, are a bitter **** because your life is **** and you're a nasty prick to compensate for something unknown to us. Probably tragic though. Then again, i don't care.

Inaccuracies.
I saw an article that had quotes from another photojournalist with Carter, who basically said it wasn't as bad as it looks. He chased the vulture away btw, and it's unlikely that this photo was the sole cause of his death considering he had seen a lot worse and his suicide note read..

I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."
im actually more angry then sad at the fact that child was left to starve to death :curious:
failingatm
You, my friend are an awesome person. :yep:

Just basic morals :smile: too be honest, at first the picture did affect my day, but ultimately it was some people's views in here that ruined my day. I find it hard to believe that some people would walk by and not help. I know I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did. However, it's good to see a lot of people here still have empathy for others.
Damn that's the saddest picture I ever saw, but why did the photographer just left? Then again he maybe got depressed because of the guilt.
Reply 171
On the note of charity I have this point.

Giving to charity does not in places like Africa (I can't stress that enough) solve problems. It temporarily makes a difference (a huge one)

To solve a problem like famine in Africa you need to tear down the establishment there and build it back up.

The cold hard truth.
Reply 172
sorry if its been pointed out already i cba to read the 5 pages but the photo was taken in 1993 not 1994 and he didn't commit suicide 3 months later it was over a year later
:'(
Reply 174
Vampire-Love4ever
:'(

Your name sucks!
Trigger
Your name sucks!

0.o
Reply 176
It does :colonhash:
:frown: poor kid
Don't blame it on sunshine!
Don't blame in on moonlight!
Don't blame it on good times!

Just blame it on TEH BOOGIE!

And by 'boogie' I mean European colonisation and the poor structure of the government as well as the inert incaring of wealthy nations. :zomg:
I hadn't seen that before now.
That is so sad.

Latest

Trending

Trending