The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Alexander_K
Hello,

I *hope* this is the right section to post this...anyway, I am a national swimmer over here in Cyprus, and I've been swimming for two years. I was ranked the first year 5th in one of my events, and then this year (because I went up an age group) I was ranked around 14th. Will swimming actually make a difference on my CV application to a university? I'm really starting to hate swimming...but if it'll risk my chances at university, I'll have to think about not quitting . Will my chances increase at entering that university I desire, or will it just not make a difference?

Thanks,
Alex :smile:

Are you applying for swimming? If so, then yes. If you're applying for History, then most likely not. However, about 20% of the personal statement is dedicated to extra-curricular, so, as some have mentioned, you may as well put it in and put a spin on it, explaining how skills you've picked up from it will help you, particularly if you don't have some more relevant extra-curricular to stick in.

How about sports scholarships? Maybe then it'll help...
Tefhel
Cambridge have said on a scale of 1-10, extra curricular things have 0 importance.

I can second that:
I called them up and asked whether they take into consideration extra-curricular activities or even voluntary/paid jobs and they said they don't care about that during application...

Me: "So basically it's all about academia..."
Them: "Yep."
Reply 22
It only matters if you are applying for a sport scholarship (which themselves are quite rare)

Latest

Trending

Trending