The Student Room Group

best degree for becoming a chartered accountant

Scroll to see replies

For some reason accountancy does love chemistry. i guess they assume people that like chemistry will like the boring stuff in accounting lol
Reply 21
I've got a psychology degree and just got an offer. I don't know if people would consider that to be ridiculous (it does have a bit of maths in it :smile:) but it's definitely irrelevant to accountancy.

I'd think languages would be really good to have, especially if you're looking to work for an international firm.

Sent from my GT-I9505
Like others have said Big Four accept any degree. I think your actual degree will open up future opportunities though, for example I studied BSc Economics which I feel will be very useful when moving into industry after qualification.
at the end of the day there is no point in having everybody with the same profile it brings nothing new to the business. they like lots of different outlooks on things. think about it the reason why the UK govt is so flawed is because everybody is the same, and went to the same unis for the same subject. and that my friends is why uk politics sucks because they all have the same underlying outlook, and don't understand what effects everybody else. also psychology is relevant n a way because if you meet clients you should be able analyse them and gain more business :wink: lol. maybe ? aha
(edited 10 years ago)
also thanks for the NEG rep :P
I'm reading this all in 2016 and felt i can add to the dialogue. I studied Accounting and Finance at uni. I recall one of the lecturers talking about some engineering sector where the accounting is quite complex and they look for grads with engineering degrees. So I asked the question what's the point of studying for an accounting degree. She said that UK is predominantely a service country. That info stuck with me ever since- I graduated in 1995. Also whilst at uni i read a lot of research papers on accounting degrees. The general consenses by the academics is that the degree is different from the professional qualifications as one is academic and one for the practitioners. At the time it didn't mean much to me but many years later after qualifying and gaining exposure in accounting in the

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending