The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Chat

Scroll to see replies

ttoby
I'd have to warn you, if you're thinking of taking discrete, that you'll either love it or hate it. I liked it and it was one of my best modules, but I've known several people (including one person who was clearly very intelligent and who did very well in other modules) who found it very difficult and they ended up dropping it. So if you do take discrete, it's worth taking other optional modules to bring your number of cats to above 120. That way, if you don't like it, you'll be able to afford to drop it.

Thanks - it's great to hear advice of people who've done/suffered these courses already :biggrin:

At A Level, I loved the "decision" modules and particularly the basic propositional calculus stuff - so introduction to symbolic logic would be great, but like every other optional mod I wanted to take it's in term 2!
So that brought me to consider discrete in term 1 as an "unusual."

Did you do discrete 1 and 2? :woo:
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
diabolosam
is it a dell studio 15? I have one with same spec and I love it!

no, looking at the dell specs it has 640gb hdd and ati 5470, which the 5165 takes a dump on.

p.s. maybe i should take a visit to our compsci brothers.,
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1982
placenta medicae talpae
Thanks - it's great to hear advice of people who've done/suffered these courses already :biggrin:

At A Level, I loved the "decision" modules and particularly the basic propositional calculus stuff - so introduction to symbolic logic would be great, but like every other optional mod I wanted to take it's in term 2!
So that brought me to consider discrete in term 1 as an "unusual."

Did you do discrete 1 and 2? :woo:

Discrete 1 is made up of two halves. The first half is mostly propositional calculus, and it includes things like laws of logic, as well as a lot of set theory. This is all done in a very formal way, establishing things from first principles. You may find that a lot of the material in this module overlaps with things you learn in introduction to symbolic logic. You say that discrete 1 will be an unusual option for you. So what degree course are you doing? You may also be doing the module foundations, and a lot of material in disrete overlaps with with some material from foundations, although it's covered in more detail in discrete.

In the second half of disrete 1, you learn about summations. What this involves is where you build on what you have learnt about sums of arithmetic and geometric series, as well about sums of x squared. You then learn techniques to find sums of more complicated series. to do this material, it would probably help if you are very comfortable with how the formulae you already know are derived and proved, since you would need to use similar techniques to get formulae for more complicated things.

I did do disrete 2 as well. In this module, you learn about binomials (n choose r etc) and about how you can manipulate them and sum them. This part can be very hard. Another major part is graph theory. This builds on what you have learned in decision at A-level. Here, you learn various theorems about graphs. For example, you would have learned that a graph is Eulerian if every node has an even number of edges coming from it. At university, you would prove this and other similar things.

Personally, I didn't find graph theory to be my favorite part of the module, so in the exam, I was able to avoid the graph theory questions, since you are supposed to only answer some of the questions (a bit like in STEP). A big part of discrete 2 is learning algorithms, particularly sorting algorithms. You would also learn about how fast these algorithms run.

I didn't do introduction to symbolic logic, but apparently for students doing maths, it can be very easy. So from what you've said, I think this would be a good module for you.
Reply 1983
ttoby
x

You have now convinced me to do Discrete 1.
Reply 1984
ziedj
Okay, 3 things:

1) I forgot to upload a photo. ****. Literally just remembered it. wat do?

2) I added the 30 CAT version of French I instead of the 24. I saw nothing telling me the difference, but I might be blind. Does this need to be changed?

3) French doesn't appear on my timetable. How do I find out when it is?

2) You need to change it to the 24 CAT one. On the module search (bottom right of my.warwick>Student Records>Data you can search for the French modules and find the code for the 24 CAT version.

3) I think there is a short (informal?) test in the language centre before deciding what level you are, and then you are allocated to a group. I'm not sure, but I think you can choose which group depending on your current timetable...http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/languagecentre/academic/french/timetable
Reply 1985
ziedj
x

upload it ASAP i'd geuss :p:
also, in the check list it says 2 passport photos (im thinking they might use these for the ID if you forgot to upload online too, can't think what else they could be used for)
jj193
upload it ASAP i'd geuss :p:
also, in the check list it says 2 passport photos (im thinking they might use these for the ID if you forgot to upload online too, can't think what else they could be used for)

I think it's to do with the accomodation. I just did the thing at asda where you can get 5 of them printed for £5 :smile:
matt2k8
I think it's to do with the accomodation. I just did the thing at asda where you can get 5 of them printed for £5 :smile:

I just did the exact same thing!
Reply 1988
oic, I wasn't going to bother. I will now >.<
Reply 1989
ttoby

Thanks for that, really informative. Will give you my measly rep when I can.
Reply 1990
ziedj
I'm a total beginner, the spec says:

"Level:
This module is offered to students with no prior knowledge of French."

so I assume I'm taking the right one. I don't fancy the "beginner accelerated" one, I doubt I'll be good enough to jump ahead that quickly.

Well you can probably just turn up and tell them that you don't know any French and therefore can't really take a test in it (I think it's more of a chat anyway). But you still have to get some sort of assessment from the language centre from what I've been told. They probably will just leave you on French 1 anyway.

EDIT: http://www.maths.warwick.ac.uk/pydc/pdfs/2010-2011/blue.pdf - page 27
Note that you may only take one language module (whether as an Unusual Option or from List B) for credit in each year. These modules may carry 24 or 30 CATS and that is the credit you get. But, where a language module is offered at a choice of 24 or 30 CATS, you MUST choose the 24 CATS version.
(edited 13 years ago)
ttoby
Discrete 1 is made up of two halves. The first half is mostly propositional calculus, and it includes things like laws of logic, as well as a lot of set theory. This is all done in a very formal way, establishing things from first principles. You may find that a lot of the material in this module overlaps with things you learn in introduction to symbolic logic. You say that discrete 1 will be an unusual option for you. So what degree course are you doing? You may also be doing the module foundations, and a lot of material in disrete overlaps with with some material from foundations, although it's covered in more detail in discrete.

In the second half of disrete 1, you learn about summations. What this involves is where you build on what you have learnt about sums of arithmetic and geometric series, as well about sums of x squared. You then learn techniques to find sums of more complicated series. to do this material, it would probably help if you are very comfortable with how the formulae you already know are derived and proved, since you would need to use similar techniques to get formulae for more complicated things.

I did do disrete 2 as well. In this module, you learn about binomials (n choose r etc) and about how you can manipulate them and sum them. This part can be very hard. Another major part is graph theory. This builds on what you have learned in decision at A-level. Here, you learn various theorems about graphs. For example, you would have learned that a graph is Eulerian if every node has an even number of edges coming from it. At university, you would prove this and other similar things.

Personally, I didn't find graph theory to be my favorite part of the module, so in the exam, I was able to avoid the graph theory questions, since you are supposed to only answer some of the questions (a bit like in STEP). A big part of discrete 2 is learning algorithms, particularly sorting algorithms. You would also learn about how fast these algorithms run.

I didn't do introduction to symbolic logic, but apparently for students doing maths, it can be very easy. So from what you've said, I think this would be a good module for you.

I mean, as far as, you've written words, they're in the right order, but I would think they are, maybe not, the correct ones (like in MORSE lectures).
Reply 1992
Yeah, I've sorted out my modules I think. Time to start packing. Is there anything important but easily forgettable that you guys can think of?
Reply 1993
thumbdrive, laptop charger, handphone charger.
Reply 1994
Totally Tom
I mean, as far as, you've written words, they're in the right order, but I would think they are, maybe not, the correct ones (like in MORSE lectures).

:confused: What did I put that was wrong?
JAKstriked
it is actually very unimpressive.

i5-430m (underpowered)
ati 5165
500gb hdd
and 15.6' screen. That's all that is worth noting.
oh and 4gb RAM

not too bad for well under 600

15.6 foot screen. Pretty impressive :awesome:

ttboy
x

Until, I read your post, I didn't realise DM was that interesting. Don't particularly like DM2 but DM1 looks good. :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
PhyMath
Yeah, I've sorted out my modules I think. Time to start packing. Is there anything important but easily forgettable that you guys can think of?

Clothes.
PhyMath

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=264191527961&v=wall&ref=ts#!/topic.php?uid=264191527961&topic=20080
http://thefreshersguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Freshers-Guide-Checklist.pdf

I just went through these.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1998
I'm a bit worried that a lot of people are going to take discrete just because of my post. I did really enjoy it and it was one of my highest scoring modules, however please do bear in mind that many people find it really hard (probably because the type of thinking required is a bit different) so make sure you have a backup plan so if you don't like it, you can replace it with another module.
Reply 1999
ttoby
I'm a bit worried that a lot of people are going to take discrete just because of my post. I did really enjoy it and it was one of my highest scoring modules, however please do bear in mind that many people find it really hard (probably because the type of thinking required is a bit different) so make sure you have a backup plan so if you don't like it, you can replace it with another module.

I was planning on taking both Discretes before, as was Sliced Bread. I think rather than making people change their modules to discrete, you will just have confirmed the choice they were already going to make.

Quick Reply

Latest