The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It's totally fine to type up assignments with Latex right? I'm feeling even though it's time consuming it might be less so than my usual method of trying to write things up, ending up with loads of crossings out, and then rewriting, over and over.

Yes, that's perfectly fine.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
So in Linear Algebra...if a question is talking about eigenvalues of a certain linear operator, is it then fair game for me to assume that the space V on which it operates is finite dimensional? If not, my entire argument does not work.

Original post by BlueSam3
Yes, that's perfectly fine.

Thanks; my first effort in Combinatorics is not too shabby..
So in Linear Algebra...if a question is talking about eigenvalues of a certain linear operator, is it then fair game for me to assume that the space V on which it operates is finite dimensional? If not, my entire argument does not work.

Thanks; my first effort in Combinatorics is not too shabby..

Yeah, every vector space you work on in linear algebra/algebra 1 is finite dimensional.

In that specific module, yes. You can construct eigenvalues just as well in infinite dimensional settings, but everything in Algebra I is finite dimensional.
Say a result is stated in lectures but not proven, and that result trivialises (i.e. makes it a two-three line job) an assignment question...will I need to prove that result somehow? Or can I just use it saying "from lectures"..
Original post by Alex:
Yeah, every vector space you work on in linear algebra/algebra 1 is finite dimensional.

Original post by BlueSam3
In that specific module, yes. You can construct eigenvalues just as well in infinite dimensional settings, but everything in Algebra I is finite dimensional.

Belated thanks, saved me rewriting. I think there was an argument that worked even in the infinite dimensional case, so mine was rather clumsy, but oh well.
Don't suppose anyone knows if all the combinatorics assignments count/remembers if they did in their year..
Reply 5986
Don't suppose anyone knows if all the combinatorics assignments count/remembers if they did in their year..

All 4 count
Okay, I've been beaten
How on earth do I even begin to show that the space of sequences whose series are absolutely convergent is Banach with the 1 norm, i.e. the sum from n = 1 to infinity of |an|
The Cauchy definition itself seems to get me nowhere and then the equivalent general definition in terms of series just confuses things as I have no idea how a series of a series of sequences can itself converge to a sequence, or if what I just said is even what's happening. Screw this..
Can anyone recommend any second year term 2 modules. So far I'm just taking Intro to Number Theory and PDEs (and Metric Spaces of course).

First term has been a travesty for me essentially. I'm getting okay to strong marks in assignments, somehow, but I've missed a large majority of lectures and I'm clueless about basically all material. The optionals I have this term are Logic II, Games and Decisions, PDEs and Combinatorics; I'm totalling 141 CATS. Logic II I just find hard to be honest; the first half was okay, I followed it mostly, I don't have a clue what's going on in First Order Logic. The resources are quite good though, so it's not a prime candidate for dropping. Games and Decisions seemed easy enough but I, on a bad day and with little revision, bombed the test and I have attended 0 lectures since week 6. Lecture notes are ok but not comprehensive as they are basically for an older module. PDEs I don't go to lectures and I barely understand anything so I think I just have to drop it; I try to read the lecture notes but it doesn't make sense to me. Combinatorics I'm fairly sure on keeping but I have sparse notes (also a big, big problem for Vector Analysis) which I lose all the time anyway because I'm so disorganised.

So really I'd probably want to drop drop PDEs and then one of Logic II or Games and Decisions, but I wouldn't have enough CATS. Hence wondering if any term 2 modules are worth it. Maybe Programming for Scientists..
(edited 7 years ago)
Is theory of PDEs necessary for any further PDEs course, such as advanced PDEs?
Okay, I've been beaten
How on earth do I even begin to show that the space of sequences whose series are absolutely convergent is Banach with the 1 norm, i.e. the sum from n = 1 to infinity of |an|
The Cauchy definition itself seems to get me nowhere and then the equivalent general definition in terms of series just confuses things as I have no idea how a series of a series of sequences can itself converge to a sequence, or if what I just said is even what's happening. Screw this..

Take a sequence (ank)(a_n^k) (that is: the k-th element of this sequence is (ank)n(a_n^k)_n) that is Cauchy in the 1-norm. That is: nank\sum_n a_n^k is a Cauchy sequence for each k. It is easy to show from this that each (ank)k(a_n^k)_k must be Cauchy as a sequence in k, and since it is a sequence of real numbers, it must therefore converge to some cnc_n. What happens to nankcn\sum_n a_n^k - c_n for large k (pick some clever εn\varepsilon_n)?
Hello, I'm an offer holder and was wondering if it is unusual for first years to take second year modules? In particular, I've noticed MA209 Variational Principles, MA252 Combinatorial Optimization, MA241 Combinatorics, and MA243 Geometry are so light on prerequisites that a first year would meet them. Even MA3E7 Problem Solving has no prerequisites.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5992
:poo:
Reply 5993
Great maths cafe and biscuits 10/10 very good
Reply 5994
Can somebody link me to the departmental web page? I cannot find the notes on differentiation and equations?
Original post by na33az
Can somebody link me to the departmental web page? I cannot find the notes on differentiation and equations?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1/
Reply 5996
Thanyou big boy Sam
Can anyone recommend any second year term 2 modules. So far I'm just taking Intro to Number Theory and PDEs (and Metric Spaces of course).

First term has been a travesty for me essentially. I'm getting okay to strong marks in assignments, somehow, but I've missed a large majority of lectures and I'm clueless about basically all material. The optionals I have this term are Logic II, Games and Decisions, PDEs and Combinatorics; I'm totalling 141 CATS. Logic II I just find hard to be honest; the first half was okay, I followed it mostly, I don't have a clue what's going on in First Order Logic. The resources are quite good though, so it's not a prime candidate for dropping. Games and Decisions seemed easy enough but I, on a bad day and with little revision, bombed the test and I have attended 0 lectures since week 6. Lecture notes are ok but not comprehensive as they are basically for an older module. PDEs I don't go to lectures and I barely understand anything so I think I just have to drop it; I try to read the lecture notes but it doesn't make sense to me. Combinatorics I'm fairly sure on keeping but I have sparse notes (also a big, big problem for Vector Analysis) which I lose all the time anyway because I'm so disorganised.

So really I'd probably want to drop drop PDEs and then one of Logic II or Games and Decisions, but I wouldn't have enough CATS. Hence wondering if any term 2 modules are worth it. Maybe Programming for Scientists..

Didn't really do many second term math modules so mostly thoughts on other stuff:

Don't drop Logic 2. The exam is really nice since its 6 questions over 3 sections, where you do one question in each section. Pretty much everyone finds the proposition stuff quite easy and this is what you cover in 2 of the sections, so that should be at least 60% or so. Most people struggle with first order so don't worry there, a lot of the questions are coursework (in the exam) and with a bit of time it should be one of the easier modules, marks wise.

You should probably do programming for scientists at some point if you have the spare CATS, not really much reason not to.

I know some people who did both Logic 2 and logic and verification which have a bit of an overlap. I heard the first order stuff is much less intense and the latter half of the course mostly focuses on verification. Is an option along with programming for scientists if you want to cheese the system a bit.

I was going to say to drop games and decisions for Maths Econ 1A, but unfortunately they're both first term i think. If you're interested in these sort of topics, taking a second term stats or economics module is worth considering.
(edited 7 years ago)

Tbh it might be worth taking an introductory statistics module if there's one available. It can be a bit dull at times and will probably seem a bit basic (at first anyway) compared to the pure but should be easy marks and will open up a load of third year modules that could be used as a backup if the pure all goes to pot.
Original post by Len Goodman
Tbh it might be worth taking an introductory statistics module if there's one available. It can be a bit dull at times and will probably seem a bit basic (at first anyway) compared to the pure but should be easy marks and will open up a load of third year modules that could be used as a backup if the pure all goes to pot.

Intro to Math Stats was first term sadly. I think I will drop PDEs in favour of Programming for Scientists. Then I will still have 141 CATS which gives me some wiggle room with Logic II and Games and Decisions, can always drop one of them. Or just take everything and have more chances to screw up.

Quick Reply

Latest