The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
So, anyone know how your average is calculated in second year? Basically, is it the smallest possible subset over 120 CATS, or does it also have to include certain cores. Asking as I have 129 CATS and my only module under 12 CATS is the Second Year Essay, so either everything I have counts or everything except my essay counts. The latter wouldn't seem to make sense but I've heard that it is the case..

I'm pretty sure it's all 66* core CATS and then the best 60 out of the optional stuff. I wish my essay didn't count either tbh. Still yet to finish it
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by fatart123
I'm pretty sure it's all 60 core CATS and then the best 60 out of the optional stuff. I wish my essay didn't count either tbh. Still yet to finish it

Thanks, that's annoying. I've made sure I've got something presentable and with enough references that I could hand it in at any point but mine could definitely be improved. Only like 9 pages long and that's with loads of headings and unnecessary spacing..way I see it though is each exam I've got is worth > 10 CATS, this essay is 4.5. So there's not much sense trying to perfect the essay.
Thanks, that's annoying. I've made sure I've got something presentable and with enough references that I could hand it in at any point but mine could definitely be improved. Only like 9 pages long and that's with loads of headings and unnecessary spacing..way I see it though is each exam I've got is worth > 10 CATS, this essay is 4.5. So there's not much sense trying to perfect the essay.

Pretty much. I'm on about that myself but I'm not too happy with what I've put down either. Hopefully just going to finish it off during this week and go back to doing Algebra I revision. Only have 3 exams in April and both analysis ones really aren't that bad (wouldn't mind every question being from an assignment sheet like in last year's Analysis III though)
Pretty much. I'm on about that myself but I'm not too happy with what I've put down either. Hopefully just going to finish it off during this week and go back to doing Algebra I revision. Only have 3 exams in April and both analysis ones really aren't that bad (wouldn't mind every question being from an assignment sheet like in last year's Analysis III though)

Algebra I is bull but the past papers seem okay. I was under the impression that the Analysis questions were going to be all based on assignment questions like last year; I think he said that they would be at some point. Vector Analysis is pretty nice, the complex analysis is a lot more doable than it seemed at first. Sadly I have Combinatorics and Games and Decisions as well. The former on a Saturday; what a week...
Algebra I is bull but the past papers seem okay. I was under the impression that the Analysis questions were going to be all based on assignment questions like last year; I think he said that they would be at some point. Vector Analysis is pretty nice, the complex analysis is a lot more doable than it seemed at first. Sadly I have Combinatorics and Games and Decisions as well. The former on a Saturday; what a week...

Yeah, minus 2015, they're kinda OK. Been using Anki for definitions (can PM you my decent-ish decks if you want) but just need to get a few proofs of the named theorems down and should be set. That's pretty great if true... Most of the questions on them aren't that bad and the ones that are, well, time to memorise solutions. Yeah, I'm using the recommended Hoffman textbook to learn it and it's coming along. I prefer the real stuff by far though. Ew. Are they quite difficult or? I'm so glad I took Logic I and Digital Communications and Signal Processing instead of doing more maths stuff. Latter is on the 19th June too, so even better because I have a bit of a break between that and the rest.
Yeah, minus 2015, they're kinda OK. Been using Anki for definitions (can PM you my decent-ish decks if you want) but just need to get a few proofs of the named theorems down and should be set. That's pretty great if true... Most of the questions on them aren't that bad and the ones that are, well, time to memorise solutions. Yeah, I'm using the recommended Hoffman textbook to learn it and it's coming along. I prefer the real stuff by far though. Ew. Are they quite difficult or? I'm so glad I took Logic I and Digital Communications and Signal Processing instead of doing more maths stuff. Latter is on the 19th June too, so even better because I have a bit of a break between that and the rest.

I didn't mind 2015 tbh. I should be alright; I know most of it, and in general it seems like the papers for everything are less definition heavy this year. I hope it is as most of my revision has been based on them. I've just looked at the online resources for the most part, seems sufficient. I dunno, I think complex analysis is pretty interesting (my essay is on the zeta function after all). Combinatorics is quite hard imo, most questions you can do like 2/3 of them via rote memorization and then they give you problems requiring some creativity, which is annoying. Games and Decisions is a garbage module but it's mostly trivial, just really boring. Lol I wish I'd saved Logic 1 for this year. Logic II is crap. How do you know when the other exams are? When I looked it up it said the main period timetable wouldn't be available until some time in the first week of term 3.
I didn't mind 2015 tbh. I should be alright; I know most of it, and in general it seems like the papers for everything are less definition heavy this year. I hope it is as most of my revision has been based on them. I've just looked at the online resources for the most part, seems sufficient. I dunno, I think complex analysis is pretty interesting (my essay is on the zeta function after all). Combinatorics is quite hard imo, most questions you can do like 2/3 of them via rote memorization and then they give you problems requiring some creativity, which is annoying. Games and Decisions is a garbage module but it's mostly trivial, just really boring. Lol I wish I'd saved Logic 1 for this year. Logic II is crap. How do you know when the other exams are? When I looked it up it said the main period timetable wouldn't be available until some time in the first week of term 3.

It's provisional, but I doubt it'll be changed too much. I'm kinda happy about how my exams are spread at least:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/examinations/timetables/examinations_timetable/exjun17_provisional.xlsx

That's sadly true... I like my easy definition questions. Online resources for complex analysis? I think I remember you saying about the old lecture notes or something. Forgot about those. Almost definitely better than the 250 pages of this textbook I'm going through... Yeah, I could never do the counting questions on STEP so stayed far clear of it in case that was the case. The Statistical Laboratory module I did last year was like that-- but it was open book heh
It's provisional, but I doubt it'll be changed too much. I'm kinda happy about how my exams are spread at least:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/examinations/timetables/examinations_timetable/exjun17_provisional.xlsx

That's sadly true... I like my easy definition questions. Online resources for complex analysis? I think I remember you saying about the old lecture notes or something. Forgot about those. Almost definitely better than the 250 pages of this textbook I'm going through... Yeah, I could never do the counting questions on STEP so stayed far clear of it in case that was the case. The Statistical Laboratory module I did last year was like that-- but it was open book heh

For some reason my computer won't show that. Oh well. The main theorems and proofs are all there now, and otherwise it's basically just contour integration which is simple enough, at least the kind of stuff they make us do. I had Discrete Maths 2 last year which has a lot of overlap. Everyone bombed it, as far as I could tell the scaling was nuts.
For some reason my computer won't show that. Oh well. The main theorems and proofs are all there now, and otherwise it's basically just contour integration which is simple enough, at least the kind of stuff they make us do. I had Discrete Maths 2 last year which has a lot of overlap. Everyone bombed it, as far as I could tell the scaling was nuts.

It's a direct link to the download. Should just download the spreadsheet in to your downloads folder. If not, the link's here anyway:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/examinations/timetables/examinations_timetable

Ah, yeah. I didn't know DM2 was that hard. Damn
It's a direct link to the download. Should just download the spreadsheet in to your downloads folder. If not, the link's here anyway:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/examinations/timetables/examinations_timetable

Ah, yeah. I didn't know DM2 was that hard. Damn

Just had to save it instead of open it. Ah, last exam on June 9th this year, should there be no changes, not bad.
Hi guys, can anyone help me with this Analysis III question. Been struggling with this one- I couldn't find suitable functions that work:

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foxab77
Hi guys, can anyone help me with this Analysis III question. Been struggling with this one- I couldn't find suitable functions that work:

Thanks!

We had something vaguely related to d(i) in our Analysis I example sheet. Try and construct the function fn with the idea of drawing triangles on the plane. Say fn is identically 0 except for the following: the line connecting (0,0) to (1/n, n^3) to (2/n, 0) [i.e: an isoceles triangle of height n^3 and base 2/n]. Then it's easy to see the integral can be made as large as you want, just need to check that the function converges pointwise to 0.

For the second bit, the same style of trick works (I think)
Original post by Zacken
We had something vaguely related to d(i) in our Analysis I example sheet. Try and construct the function fn with the idea of drawing triangles on the plane. Say fn is identically 0 except for the following: the line connecting (0,0) to (1/n, n^3) to (2/n, 0) [i.e: an isoceles triangle of height n^3 and base 2/n]. Then it's easy to see the integral can be made as large as you want, just need to check that the function converges pointwise to 0.

For the second bit, the same style of trick works (I think)

Yeah, no I saw that answer on the internet too, with the isoceles triangle. My tutor said he wasn't too sure about that answer, and there should be a more obvious solution. Therefore I am looking for alternatives (preferably not ripped off the internet haha) otherwise I wouldn't have asked on here :smile:

Thanks though
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foxab77
Yeah, no I saw that answer on the internet too, with the isoceles triangle. My tutor said he wasn't too sure about that answer, and there should be a more obvious solution. Therefore I am looking for alternatives (preferably not ripped off the internet haha) otherwise I wouldn't have asked on here :smile:

Thanks though

I dunno what precisely would have been expected when that question was posed, the course seems to change a fair bit each year, but we did go over the witch's hat thing this year, which is similar, especially to the second case.
I dunno what precisely would have been expected when that question was posed, the course seems to change a fair bit each year, but we did go over the witch's hat thing this year, which is similar, especially to the second case.

Perfect thanks! I seem to vaguely recall that example from one of the lectures/tutorials
Original post by Foxab77
Perfect thanks! I seem to vaguely recall that example from one of the lectures/tutorials

Yeah, it probably pays to get to grips with these examples. Then again, last year essentially all the questions were literally copies (or perhaps slight variations) of assignment questions, and I swear he either said that would also be the case this year or put something online to that effect at one point.
Yeah, it probably pays to get to grips with these examples. Then again, last year essentially all the questions were literally copies (or perhaps slight variations) of assignment questions, and I swear he either said that would also be the case this year or put something online to that effect at one point.

I found out from one of the lecturers that this year will be the first year that MA244 and MA258 will do different papers...don't think it makes much of a difference though ( I think)

I assume that we can sue if this isn't the case

I assume that we can sue if this isn't the case

If that's about Geometry and Motion it's totally true. When he used to teach Analysis III, his exams were the same as the assignments too.
Did we cover Jordan's lemma in vector analysis? Honestly can't remember and it makes the estimation lemma stuff a lot less messy

Quick Reply

Latest