The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Update for anyone who might be interested. Got an unconditional from Aberdeen today, but I don't think I'm going. I was thinking of firming Edinburgh but now I'm not sure if I should. As of this evening it's between Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Any input?
Anyone here applying for pharmacy?
Reply 1982
Reply 2000 what up
Reply 1983
Original post by SummerRain92
Update for anyone who might be interested. Got an unconditional from Aberdeen today, but I don't think I'm going. I was thinking of firming Edinburgh but now I'm not sure if I should. As of this evening it's between Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Any input?

Haven't been to St. Andrews! But dunno, which place do you think you would prefer to live at? Both places are pretty lovely I think, just Edinburgh has more going on as it's a city.

And grats on your unconditional! I'm still waiting on Aberdeen.

Having just got back from visiting both Edinburgh and St Andrews, I strongly recommend St Andrews.
As a nice picturesque, more traditional looking place, St Andrews wins. As a bigger city with more going on and much easier to get to other places in the UK and Europe then Edinburgh wins.

If either of those is a big factor then this should help, if not then go with which has the better course as I'm sure you'd enjoy both universities.

Also, as I'm sure you know, Prince William studied at St Andrews, so that would be something to tell your friends and family back home (not that he'll be there when you are but still...)

EDINBURGH. I respectfully retract anything bad I ever said about the place. Turns out I was in a toursity part, not the uni part- the uni part is FAB! I'm likely going to be firming here... I visited the department and they were extremely welcoming, more so than the department at UCL, I found, and there's a really good student atmosphere. Not to mention how beautiful the city is! If anyone wants photos, let me know and I'll link you to the FB photo albums. :biggrin:
Original post by catsss
Reply 2000 what up

Awww yeahhh. :cool:
Reply 1988
Original post by EcstaticMuse
EDINBURGH. I respectfully retract anything bad I ever said about the place. Turns out I was in a toursity part, not the uni part- the uni part is FAB! I'm likely going to be firming here... I visited the department and they were extremely welcoming, more so than the department at UCL, I found, and there's a really good student atmosphere. Not to mention how beautiful the city is! If anyone wants photos, let me know and I'll link you to the FB photo albums. :biggrin:

ISN'T IT PERFECT?!
It's been a year since I was in Edinburgh, and I still think about it all the time. I can't picture myself studying and living anywhere else in the world for the next four years.

Hopefully i'll receive an offer on Monday!

& congrats on deciding between UCL and ed :smile: it's a difficult thing to do

That is sooooo wonderful to hear! I was worried that a fellow Scandi lover would leave Edinburgh for London. Psssh I should have known better:smile: Now that you love Edinburgh you have to go on one of those tours-the witchery ones!

I just need to get my APs scores and we all can meet up in Edinburgh, "Athens of the West"
Original post by carolinealyece
Having just got back from visiting both Edinburgh and St Andrews, I strongly recommend St Andrews.

Really? Could you please elaborate? The only reason I am a bit hesitant to accept St. Andrews is the fact that like 18% of the school is American ( I definitely could be wrong about that). I visited Edinburgh last year so I won't be able to go back to Scotland any time soon unless I go to university there.

Anyway this is a really important decision and any information from the friends in this thread would be really helpful:smile:
Original post by catsss
Haven't been to St. Andrews! But dunno, which place do you think you would prefer to live at? Both places are pretty lovely I think, just Edinburgh has more going on as it's a city.

And grats on your unconditional! I'm still waiting on Aberdeen.

I'm glad that I'm not the only American who applied to Aberdeen- on their website it says they only have about 300 of them there. Which is nice but then I didn't think many of us applied there.

I'm from a university town that isn't exactly tiny but I wouldn't categorize it as a city either. It's not so much the ranking of the university for me it's more about what kind of people I will meet there.
Firmed Edinburgh and not looking back. :biggrin:

congrats!! did you insure anyone??

im firming nottingham on sunday!
Reply 1994
yall ****in yank fannies. dinnae cum 2 our toon or well huv yer heid!

AHHHHHHHHH :confused: *panic*
What's going onn? :eek::eek::confused:

well.. congrats on your decision.. I guess I won't be seeing you in London afterall :angry::frown::mad:
Firmed Durham. :wink: Got into St.Chad's.
Reply 1997
Original post by halfcab
yall ****in yank fannies. dinnae cum 2 our toon or well huv yer heid!

ya ok broski
Reply 1998
Original post by ecstaticmuse
edinburgh. I respectfully retract anything bad i ever said about the place. Turns out i was in a toursity part, not the uni part- the uni part is fab! I'm likely going to be firming here... I visited the department and they were extremely welcoming, more so than the department at ucl, i found, and there's a really good student atmosphere. Not to mention how beautiful the city is! If anyone wants photos, let me know and i'll link you to the fb photo albums. :d

i want to see i want to see! Please please please :d
Really? Could you please elaborate? The only reason I am a bit hesitant to accept St. Andrews is the fact that like 18% of the school is American ( I definitely could be wrong about that). I visited Edinburgh last year so I won't be able to go back to Scotland any time soon unless I go to university there.

Anyway this is a really important decision and any information from the friends in this thread would be really helpful:smile:

I think the statistic is that 18% is North American, so that includes Canadians and sometimes Mexicans. And yeah, there are a lot of Americans and that initially turned me off but after visiting I understand why they all go there! It really depends on your preferences and it is definitely not for everyone but when I visited everyone was so welcoming and I felt like I could easily become a part of the community. The traditions are something that I loved about the school and really makes it more unique compared to big city schools. From the wearing of the red gowns to the academic parents and formal dinners in the hall you can easily feel like you've left the modern world. As someone who has always lived in big cities the opportunity to be a part of a small community is really attractive. Also, the golf. I don't know if you care about this, but for me it was a big plus. The students were all very friendly but everyone does seem to be coming from an upper-middle to upper class background so if that is something you are not comfortable with you should take that into account. The prevailing dress code tended to be hunter's and longchamp bags and I loved how I never saw anyone in uggs or sweatpants! The accomodation at St Andrews was also amazing, especially in comparison to Edinburgh. The halls are all mostly older and tend to have there own spirit about them and history. Like when I visited McIntosh in the common room they had group photos of the residents going back to the 1940's. It all really depends on you and what kind of person you are. St Andrews really fits my personality and my interests (golf, pubs, oceans that are only for looking at, old people, old buildings, tradition). If you are more comfortable in big cities and you like more diversity then you should go for Edinburgh and if you have any questions about St Andrews, ask me!

Quick Reply

Latest