The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

kristinaalovesu
I have to wait 18 days to get my SAT I results. :biggrin:

About the GPA, i don't have any idea, but there is a thread in here about people who got into UK Unis with/without having to show their GPA.

Here's the link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1059807

Ah, the wait is killing me! I'm just worried because I completely slacked off my entire sophomore year and it really killed my GPA. I know St. Andrews says offers are around 3.5 and mine's a 3.46 right now, but I know I will graduate with at least a 3.5..my biggest nightmare is being stuck with a conditional offer and having to take AP exams!
carolinealyece
Ah, the wait is killing me! I'm just worried because I completely slacked off my entire sophomore year and it really killed my GPA. I know St. Andrews says offers are around 3.5 and mine's a 3.46 right now, but I know I will graduate with at least a 3.5..my biggest nightmare is being stuck with a conditional offer and having to take AP exams!

Tell me about it. I can't wait to submit my UCAS already.
I think you're good, just dont slack off this time :biggrin:
Are you going to apply to other uk universities as well?
Im applying to Durham, im confused about the difference of INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION YEAR and FOUNDATION YEAR. I mean i kinda get it, but i dont know its confusing. haha
Anyways, what are your other choices?
(edited 13 years ago)
kristinaalovesu
Tell me about it. I can't wait to submit my UCAS already.
I think you're good, just dont slack off this time :biggrin:
Are you going to apply to other uk universities as well?
Im applying to Durham, im confused about the difference of INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION YEAR and FOUNDATION YEAR. I mean i kinda get it, but i dont know its confusing. haha
Anyways, what are your other choices?

Haha yeah, I've had over a 4.0 every year except for sophomore year (damn mind-altering substances!).
I'm applying to (in order of importance): Edinburgh, Queen Mary, Glasgow and Aberdeen. Hopefully to be studying Economics/Finance, but from what I hear it's very competitive over there! And today I find out my parents are going to move to London next year. I don't think they understand why I'm applying thousands of miles away! But oh well, I can enjoy a home-cooked meal more often and quicker access to money!
carolinealyece
Haha yeah, I've had over a 4.0 every year except for sophomore year (damn mind-altering substances!).
I'm applying to (in order of importance): Edinburgh, Queen Mary, Glasgow and Aberdeen. Hopefully to be studying Economics/Finance, but from what I hear it's very competitive over there! And today I find out my parents are going to move to London next year. I don't think they understand why I'm applying thousands of miles away! But oh well, I can enjoy a home-cooked meal more often and quicker access to money!

You got a good set of choices.
I kinda have the same choices as well (in my sig) But i have to sort it out for UCAS. :biggrin:
Why are your parents moving to uk?
Do you know about it before you made a decision of applying to scottish unis?
Thats cool though, at least you dont have to worry about money. But are you going to take some loans or your parents will pay it out of there pocket?
kristinaalovesu
You got a good set of choices.
I kinda have the same choices as well (in my sig) But i have to sort it out for UCAS. :biggrin:
Why are your parents moving to uk?
Do you know about it before you made a decision of applying to scottish unis?
Thats cool though, at least you dont have to worry about money. But are you going to take some loans or your parents will pay it out of there pocket?

Well they are moving to London because my dad works for a British oil company and they are re-organizing or something and my family moves countries every 3-5 years. They're pretty excited as my mom's got family in London. No, my parents don't believe in taking out loans so they'll pay for it out of pocket.
Is St. Andrews your first choice? I originally wanted to go to Edinburgh but after learning more about SA and finding out I have a cousin that goes there I changed my mind.
carolinealyece
Well they are moving to London because my dad works for a British oil company and they are re-organizing or something and my family moves countries every 3-5 years. They're pretty excited as my mom's got family in London. No, my parents don't believe in taking out loans so they'll pay for it out of pocket.
Is St. Andrews your first choice? I originally wanted to go to Edinburgh but after learning more about SA and finding out I have a cousin that goes there I changed my mind.

Thats good. You're so lucky! haha.
Yeah, Im digging st.andrews but sometimes...(just sometimes) im digging durham lately. i have no idea why though. My bestfriend lives in sussex and shes applying for 2011 too, i kinda want to live close to her because she told me she might help me with some stuff like giving me a part time job or something but im not sure. we'll see.
I like edinburgh too but i heard its too PRICEY. :cry:
i heard some bad stuff about St. Andrews though, they said its like a bubble and the place is kinda boring. :s-smilie:
I made a few friends on my facebook who are from st.andrews and they all love it and i saw it on their pictures haha.
why did you change your mind just because your cousin goes there?
kristinaalovesu
Thats good. You're so lucky! haha.
Yeah, Im digging st.andrews but sometimes...(just sometimes) im digging durham lately. i have no idea why though. My bestfriend lives in sussex and shes applying for 2011 too, i kinda want to live close to her because she told me she might help me with some stuff like giving me a part time job or something but im not sure. we'll see.
I like edinburgh too but i heard its too PRICEY. :cry:
i heard some bad stuff about St. Andrews though, they said its like a bubble and the place is kinda boring. :s-smilie:
I made a few friends on my facebook who are from st.andrews and they all love it and i saw it on their pictures haha.
why did you change your mind just because your cousin goes there?

Oh, it wasn't just because she goes there, it was more what she told me about the school that made me change my mind. Yeah, I've never lived in a city with less than 2 million people so I have no idea what SA is going to be like, but I think I could adapt! Plus, I play golf. Are you going to go visit all your schools? I think I'm going to wait and see all of my offers and then go over spring break. I've been to the UK many times, but I've never properly toured the schools or anything. Are you applying to any schools in the US?
carolinealyece
Oh, it wasn't just because she goes there, it was more what she told me about the school that made me change my mind. Yeah, I've never lived in a city with less than 2 million people so I have no idea what SA is going to be like, but I think I could adapt! Plus, I play golf. Are you going to go visit all your schools? I think I'm going to wait and see all of my offers and then go over spring break. I've been to the UK many times, but I've never properly toured the schools or anything. Are you applying to any schools in the US?

Oh i see. Yes, im going to wait for the offers before i visit though and it all depends if i have save enough money to go. I've never been to UK though, but i know im gonna love it! :h:
No, im not applying to US schools anymore. Are you? If yes where are you applying?
Even if i want to apply, i dont think ill get in knowing that US schools are too choosy.
kristinaalovesu
Oh i see. Yes, im going to wait for the offers before i visit though and it all depends if i have save enough money to go. I've never been to UK though, but i know im gonna love it! :h:
No, im not applying to US schools anymore. Are you? If yes where are you applying?
Even if i want to apply, i dont think ill get in knowing that US schools are too choosy.

I think I'm just going to wait until I hear from the UK schools before I apply to any American schools. I know it could probably get pretty good scholarships from American schools, but that's about the only advantage. Yeah, plus US schools take rank and GPA into account and I go to a super competitive school so my rank is ****. There's only one school in the US I would apply to, and it's St. Edwards (so many saint schools, I swear I'm not even catholic!) which is in Austin.
carolinealyece
I think I'm just going to wait until I hear from the UK schools before I apply to any American schools. I know it could probably get pretty good scholarships from American schools, but that's about the only advantage. Yeah, plus US schools take rank and GPA into account and I go to a super competitive school so my rank is ****. There's only one school in the US I would apply to, and it's St. Edwards (so many saint schools, I swear I'm not even catholic!) which is in Austin.

hahaha I think UK unis are more appreciative. I dont really fancy a lot of US unis and how they work. :s-smilie: I do like some US Unis but i dont know if i will apply to them or whatsoever. I like fordham university, GWU, Georgetown, Columbia and NYU. If you get an unconditional to any uni of your choice are you still going to apply in US schools?
kristinaalovesu
hahaha I think UK unis are more appreciative. I dont really fancy a lot of US unis and how they work. :s-smilie: I do like some US Unis but i dont know if i will apply to them or whatsoever. I like fordham university, GWU, Georgetown, Columbia and NYU. If you get an unconditional to any uni of your choice are you still going to apply in US schools?

Oh no way, if I get unconditional to St Andrews, Edinburgh or Queen Mary I wouldn't apply to any US schools. If I got conditional offers then I don't know. I'm taking 6 APs this year and I'm fairly good at all of them, so I could probably meet offers but I don't know if I would want to go through so much stress! :s-smilie: Plus, you have to sort out getting a visa and everything in a relatively short period of time.

Drinking age in the UK is 18. That makes all UK schools > US schools.
carolinealyece
Oh no way, if I get unconditional to St Andrews, Edinburgh or Queen Mary I wouldn't apply to any US schools. If I got conditional offers then I don't know. I'm taking 6 APs this year and I'm fairly good at all of them, so I could probably meet offers but I don't know if I would want to go through so much stress! :s-smilie: Plus, you have to sort out getting a visa and everything in a relatively short period of time.

Drinking age in the UK is 18. That makes all UK schools > US schools.

I know, talking about visas im already worried about it, what if i dont get approve or something? you know what i mean. I heard getting a visa is fast though once you send it. Can you process your visa once you get the unconditional offer?or you have to wait 90 days before the class start before you start processing it?
kristinaalovesu
I know, talking about visas im already worried about it, what if i dont get approve or something? you know what i mean. I heard getting a visa is fast though once you send it. Can you process your visa once you get the unconditional offer?or you have to wait 90 days before the class start before you start processing it?

I really don't think there's any reason not to get approved if you are into a school. I'm not sure, I'm just going to let my parents handle all of it since they've done this sort of thing many times. Right now I'm just more concerned about getting into the schools. I stress way too much :s-smilie:
carolinealyece
I really don't think there's any reason not to get approved if you are into a school. I'm not sure, I'm just going to let my parents handle all of it since they've done this sort of thing many times. Right now I'm just more concerned about getting into the schools. I stress way too much :s-smilie:

I know someone who didnt get approved though. :s-smilie:
Anyways, good luck to both of us. :h:
Reply 394
Hey guys, I have a question. I'm reading the "Guide for Direct Applicants" (to SA). On the direct application there is a box thing for "Completed Tests and Scores". I listed the tests I've taken (well, SAT and ACT, because I ran out of room!). On the guide I just noticed that it says:
"Please note: do not enter information here that is already included in your academic transcript/record."

Well...I think a bunch (if not all) of my scores are on my transcript. I know SAT is, but I'm not sure about ACT because the system that inputs them gets kind of funky. I'm not sure if my application has been sent from student services (at my school) yet, but I'm going to run up tomorrow morning and check. Should I print a new app and change it or just leave it? Do you think it matters?

I'm hoping the application hasn't been sent out, because I just found the referee sheet as well! Gosh, I'm falling apart! Ha, if it's been sent, I guess they'll be getting the referee letter with the application and the referee sheet by email. fail on my part. FAIL.
(edited 13 years ago)
kristinaalovesu

Yeah, you have to wait 3 months before the start date, even if you got an unconditional todya. Kind of a pain, huh? You live near DC, right? So it should be easy for you to deal with any problems, since you'll be right near a consulate.
lexielou
Hey guys, I have a question. I'm reading the "Guide for Direct Applicants" (to SA). On the direct application there is a box thing for "Completed Tests and Scores". I listed the tests I've taken (well, SAT and ACT, because I ran out of room!). On the guide I just noticed that it says:
"Please note: do not enter information here that is already included in your academic transcript/record."

Well...I think a bunch (if not all) of my scores are on my transcript. I know SAT is, but I'm not sure about ACT because the system that inputs them gets kind of funky. I'm not sure if my application has been sent from student services (at my school) yet, but I'm going to run up tomorrow morning and check. Should I print a new app and change it or just leave it? Do you think it matters?

I'm hoping the application hasn't been sent out, because I just found the referee sheet as well! Gosh, I'm falling apart! Ha, if it's been sent, I guess they'll be getting the referee letter with the application and the referee sheet by email. fail on my part. FAIL.

If they haven't sent the Direct application yet, why wouldn't you just fill in everything on UCAS? It takes 5 minutes to fill out everything...and you can just enter all your scores online. You'll also be able to monitor your status online. Then on top of it, you can go ahead and pick 4 others schools, and there is nothing additional you have to do, except enter the schools name in.

But if your stuck on doing a direct application, just leave it the way it is. I doubt they care. They just need to see what your scores are.
Reply 397
adam0311
If they haven't sent the Direct application yet, why wouldn't you just fill in everything on UCAS? It takes 5 minutes to fill out everything...and you can just enter all your scores online. You'll also be able to monitor your status online. Then on top of it, you can go ahead and pick 4 others schools, and there is nothing additional you have to do, except enter the schools name in.

But if your stuck on doing a direct application, just leave it the way it is. I doubt they care. They just need to see what your scores are.

I already paid the direct application fee, so I might as well send it in. :s-smilie:
Alright, thanks.
I'm just being nerdy and obsessive.
I need to stop holy cowww.
adam0311
Yeah, you have to wait 3 months before the start date, even if you got an unconditional todya. Kind of a pain, huh? You live near DC, right? So it should be easy for you to deal with any problems, since you'll be right near a consulate.

i moved back to california. im gonna have to ask my friend about her visa.
kristinaalovesu
i moved back to california. im gonna have to ask my friend about her visa.

You get a choice of 2 brit consulates in cali - LA or SF :top:

Quick Reply

Latest