The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by alexs2602
You seem to have plumped for several Scottish unis but at least you didnt fall for the London and Scottish uni combo many [Americans] seem to.

What would you say is the combination?
Original post by catsss
What would you say is the combination?

Like I said, a lot of Americans in this thread seem to go for a combo of unis like UCL, KCL, LSE, Queen Mary, St Andrews, Edinburgh especially. Sometimes other London or Scottish unis. Sometimes one other choice but that doesnt make up the majority of their choices most of the time. Some London unis are very good and some Scottish unis are quite good but you tend to miss out on great unis like Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Manchester, Nottingham, Southampton, York, Exeter etc. I won't include Durham in that because a few people have chosen that and it is a great English uni. However there are few good unis outside of England and that's fairly true I feel. In Wales there's Cardiff, Swansea, perhaps Abertswyth. In Scotland there's Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews. It's not a lot when you think about it and its not really their fault, after all they have small populations in comparison to England.
(edited 13 years ago)
Like I said, a lot of Americans in this thread seem to go for a combo of unis like UCL, KCL, LSE, Queen Mary, St Andrews, Edinburgh especially. Sometimes other London or Scottish unis. Sometimes one other choice but that doesnt make up the majority of their choices most of the time. Some London unis are very good and some Scottish unis are quite good but you tend to miss out on great unis like Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Manchester, Nottingham, Southampton, York, Exeter etc. I won't include Durham in that because a few people have chosen that and it is a great English uni. However there are few good unis outside of England and that's fairly true I feel. In Wales there's Cardiff, Swansea, perhaps Abertswyth. In Scotland there's Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews. It's not a lot when you think about it and its not really their fault, after all they have small populations in comparison to England.

Still, only problem is that some of those schools don't offer the same variety of courses as the London/Scottish ones seem to, in terms of Modern Languages or more obscure choices.
Original post by EcstaticMuse
Still, only problem is that some of those schools don't offer the same variety of courses as the London/Scottish ones seem to, in terms of Modern Languages or more obscure choices.

Arguably. Most unis will offer standard(to the UK) European languages which means French, German, Spanish, Italian plus some Asian languages; Japanese, Chinese. Scandinavian languages are rarer obviously. For some courses it cant be helped I suppose, I'm far from blaming those of you limited by subject but it is a shame that those who arent limited by subject dont look more widely.

Actually though its more obscure, title-wise, I'd have suggested Cambridge. They do
'Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic'. Which seems related to your chosen course. And for the record its supposed to be an outstanding department, as you would expect.
(edited 13 years ago)
Arguably. Most unis will offer standard(to the UK) European languages which means French, German, Spanish, Italian plus some Asian languages; Japanese, Chinese. Scandinavian languages are rarer obviously. For some courses it cant be helped I suppose, I'm far from blaming those of you limited by subject but it is a shame that those who arent limited by subject dont look more widely.

Actually though its more obscure, title-wise, I'd have suggested Cambridge. They do
'Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic'. Which seems related to your chosen course. And for the record its supposed to be an outstanding department, as you would expect.

I think it's also a matter of location/international student population/cost/scholarships available, etc. A uni like Edinburgh who has a large number of international students, as well as most London unis, is far more likely to offer scholarships to those who need it coming from abroad than some of the other places you mentioned. I'm not putting them down at all but the funds they have may not be used to help international students, rather home students, which is fair but another reason why the bigger schools that are well-known overseas are more likely to be people's options when coming from America or anywhere else abroad.
I think it's also a matter of location/international student population/cost/scholarships available, etc. A uni like Edinburgh who has a large number of international students, as well as most London unis, is far more likely to offer scholarships to those who need it coming from abroad than some of the other places you mentioned. I'm not putting them down at all but the funds they have may not be used to help international students, rather home students, which is fair but another reason why the bigger schools that are well-known overseas are more likely to be people's options when coming from America or anywhere else abroad.

Perhaps. Scholarship-wise UK unis in general dont offer that much. In fact at least one of the unis I'm looking at offer more scholarships for Intl students than domestic students.

I'd also steer away from universities with large international populations too because in relation to integration it doesnt help. With large international populations you're more likely to segregate yourself. If you have the option that is.

Also most/all of the unis I mentioned are pretty large and very well known in the UK.

PS: Happy 1600th post!
(edited 13 years ago)
I just got an email form St. Andrews asking for my AP scores. Do they mean the ones from last year?
Original post by SummerRain92
I just got an email form St. Andrews asking for my AP scores. Do they mean the ones from last year?

I would assume so, since you don't yet have the ones for this year.
I have a question why do the people applying from America want to go uni in the UK.
I would assume so, since you don't yet have the ones for this year.

how do I send the scores from last year?
Original post by Jackthevillain
I have a question why do the people applying from America want to go uni in the UK.

it's something different.

What I did was I got my counselor to fax my transcript and copies of my scores to St Andrews.

Do you have the report of your scores you got in the mail? I would scan them and e-mail them over, as that's what I did with Edinburgh.
it's something different.

Ok its funny because I hear a lot of Americans saying they want to visit the Uk while me and a lot of my friends want to move to places like NYC and Boston. So what uni are you planning on going here please dont say Birmingham.

Drinking age is lower and it's cheaper than a lot of US universities.
Ok its funny because I hear a lot of Americans saying they want to visit the Uk while me and a lot of my friends want to move to places like NYC and Boston. So what uni are you planning on going here please dont say Birmingham.

Durham, Edinburgh, and UCL seem to be the popular choices.
Durham, Edinburgh, and UCL seem to be the popular choices.

I like Edinburgh the city, Durham is probably the most English place in England and I dont really like London pretty boring depressing city.
Do you have the report of your scores you got in the mail? I would scan them and e-mail them over, as that's what I did with Edinburgh.

I do! That's what I'll do:smile:

Thanks!

People never seem to be happy with what they have. Wait what's wrong with Birmingham? I actually applied there.
I do! That's what I'll do:smile:

Thanks!

Sure thing!

Quick Reply

Latest