The Student Room Group
To get an A* you need 80% overall in both years of study, with 90% in your second year. So with a B (70%) at AS you can get 90% at A2 and still end up with 80% overall, thus securing your A*. It'll be hard to push it up that far, but it's possible :wink: Best of luck!
MissEW
Hi,

I don't get how the A* grades in A-levels are awarded can someone explain it briefly. Also I achieved Bs in my AS-levels is there a chance I can still gain A* at A2 or am I better of retaking a module or two of ASs to increase my chance of achieveing an A*?

Thank You,

Em

Generally - you need 80% avg in all modules (AS+A2) and 90% avg in A2 modules.
In Maths - C3 and C4 are considered A2 modules. :smile:
Reply 3
Yes there is a chance. To get an A* you need 80% overall and 90% over the A2 modules. So retaking won't increase your chance of an A* as the 90% will bring up your average to over 80%. However if you're not sure you can get 90% it may be wise to retake just to make sure you don't miss out on an A.
Snm
Wait. So my AS modules are all in 80 and 90%, do I need 90% or over in EVERY A2 module or just achieve an average of 90% across the modules, like 87% in one and 98% in the other?
Reply 6
Dumb Economist
Generally - you need 80% avg in all modules (AS+A2) and 90% avg in A2 modules.
In Maths - C3 and C4 are considered A2 modules. :smile:

Okay thanks but just wondering I should aim for 90+% in every module of A2 right? And also for maths I may do D1 is it considered an AS module and whats the difference if I do S2 instead as in is it considered an A2 module?

Thanks,

Em
Reply 7
ourlastmemory
Wait. So my AS modules are all in 80 and 90%, do I need 90% or over in EVERY A2 module or just achieve an average of 90% across the modules, like 87% in one and 98% in the other?

Just an average, I got 100% in one geog and 70 something % in the other. But as the one I got 100% in was the larger module it average out at 90% exactly :biggrin:
MissEW
Okay thanks but just wondering I should aim for 90+% in every module of A2 right? And also for maths I may do D1 is it considered an AS module and whats the difference if I do S2 instead as in is it considered an A2 module?

Thanks,

Em

For Maths - you SPECIFICALLY need to achieve 90% AVG in C3 and C4 only. (yes you can get 80% in C3 and 100% in C4 - so avg is 90%).
Application modules (D1,S2 etc) are not used for 90% cal but obviously used for total 80% avg calculations. :smile:

Latest